Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Quiz 'Celebrities'

I have been in good humour all over the Christmas, when people tried their best to get me going it didn't work, I was just in good form and enjoying myself and nothing was going to bother me, BUT... I have to get this little grump off my chest once and for all then I'll be back to myself.
I don't know about you but I can't see the point of putting so called celebrities on popular quiz shows at this time of the year, like 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' 'The weakest link' "Mastermind' 'Family Fortunes' etc., do the producers think they are giving us a treat or something?, maybe for you but not me, lots of has beens who had their day and should just have to sit back and watch like the rest of us, I'd rather see some ordinary person getting the winnings instead of them giving it to THEIR favourite charity which is probably run by some relative of theirs. I know there's no money involved in Mastermind so you'd think they would leave that show alone, yet they continue to wheel the same old faces out year after year. Joan Collins on 'Deal or no deal' appearing with all her cronies was the last straw for me.
Now I feel better already.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Re: Quiz 'Celebrities'

Agree 100% Jem!
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 09:22 PM

I know what you mean, I have noticed it on Pointless and Who wants to be a millionaire but had the good fortune to miss the Joan Collins episode on Deal or No Deal. Small mercies I suppose.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Oh, and me too! Same with the adverts... do they think I'm going to be persuaded to buy their products, after seeing an aging actor promoting it?
Any programme that involves 'celebrities', we switch over or watch a programme we've recorded.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 09:58 PM

I agree Jem!

I used to love the weekly "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with regular people, but that hasn't been on for years.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 12:38 AM

I sometimes ask myself by who's authority are people defined as 'Celebrities', is it the BBC, Newsweek, ITV, or who's. When they first started to compile the best selling records back in the late 40's or early 50's, record retailers filled in sheets on how many records they sold for the week, on this side of the Atlantic the BBC totted the figures up and the artist who sold the most records was the number one celebrity in the music business until he or she was toppled by the next big hit, that seemed a very fair way of doing it, but like all fair systems it didn't last long before greed took over.
There are I suppose, all types of celebrities but it's the ones on TV I'm talking about. Are there such titles as a class A,B, and C television celebrity?, that way it would give you a fair idea of who to expect, I mean we the public are classed as working class, middle glass, and upper class, we may think those days are gone, they are not, so why not them, but no, they brand them all with the same iron 'Celebrities', talk about buying a pig in a poke.
I love to see and hear real celebrities at work, they deserve everything the get.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 04:30 AM

I've never even heard of about 85% of these so-called celebrities. What did they do to deserve such an accolade?

It seems to me that one becomes a "celebrity" because they went out with some footballer for two weeks.

To me, a celebrity is somebody who has been in the public eye for several years and has achieved something spectacular in their own right!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 09:18 AM

People, think about this: Back in the day when we had 'steam radio' and television was in its infancy, there were theatres all over the land and at the end of the year and well into the following February every theatre put on pantomimes with 'celebrity' guests also taking part. As the years have moved on, those self-same theatres closed down, became bingo halls or were pulled down and replaced with supermarkets, blocks of flats, hotels, etc, etc. So today we have lots of 'celebrities' with little or nothing to do at this time of year, so the television companies determine to 'pepper' their quiz shows with these celebrities in order to keep them in some sort of work. It was ever thus, merely not so visible, since pantomimes were 'local' and not televised.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2013, 09:43 AM

I can't bear quiz shows anyway, but I agree that anything that relates to "celebrity" would make them even worse! (if that were at all possible)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I've never even heard of about 85% of these so-called celebrities. What did they do to deserve such an accolade?

It seems to me that one becomes a "celebrity" because they went out with some footballer for two weeks.

To me, a celebrity is somebody who has been in the public eye for several years and has achieved something spectacular in their own right!
Thats about the same percentage I reckon on Mollie, thank God "Big Brother' is finished, that was responsible for dumping several dozen 'Celebrities' on us over the years it was on, where are they now I ask, doing quiz shows says you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top