Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Buying additional state pension.

With the demise of the 'Pensioner bond', I read that the govt. is introducing the chance to invest a lump sum to buy additional state pension. This will give up to £25 a week extra, be inflation proofed and in the event of snuffing it, your spouse will get 50%.
As an example, an investment of £22,250 for a 65 year old buys an extra £25 a week (indexed) . This assumes you'll live 17 years to get your money back but equates to nearly 6% return.

I think it's aimed at people who might cash in their pension pot and look for something better than an annuity.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Re: Buying additional state pension.

The history of my life style suggests I will not get 82-70 maybe.

I live off my savings at buggar all interest and play around on the market with the rest. Warning-the stock market is fun but things go up and down.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 03:12 PM

George if you are talking about what I think you are talking about this is aimed at people of a certain age who have not yet retired .It was being discussed on The Money Programme a few weeks ago.
Is this it...
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-topup

From 12 October 2015 to 5 April 2017 you’ll be able to make a ‘Class 3A voluntary contribution’ to top up your State Pension by up to £25 per week.

Calculate how much you’ll need to contribute. You must be:

a man born before 6 April 1951
a woman born before 6 April 1953
ETA Because of my age, if I wanted to get an extra £25 a week pension I would need to pay a lump sum of £21,775
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
George if you are talking about what I think you are talking about this is aimed at people of a certain age who have not yet retired .It was being discussed on The Money Programme a few weeks ago.
Is this it...
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-topup

ETA Because of my age, if I wanted to get an extra £25 a week pension I would need to pay a lump sum of £21,775
Eek! If you had £21,775 it would give you £25 per week for 16 years even without earning any interest. I'd rather hang on to it and be in control. Might win more on premium bonds!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Yes, it doesn't exactly strike me as a great deal. I was simply looking for another investment product since I'm approaching 65 and the pensioner bonds are no more, when I stumbled upon this.

I was hoping to see the interest rates rising and us savers getting a bit more. Next year the first £1k of savings interest will be tax free. Again, not much, but I'll take every penny I can get. I wonder how that will affect the take-up of ISAs?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Eek! If you had £21,775 it would give you £25 per week for 16 years even without earning any interest. I'd rather hang on to it and be in control. Might win more on premium bonds!
Ania I would be over 80 and I am not sure I will last that long .
I don't have any spare cash to invest anywhere

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top