Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Re: Football's over!

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Thank gawd soccer is about as popular as underwater tiddlywinks. It really is more of a female sport anyway.

Well Bruce you will be pleased to hear that.

Australia's national women's soccer team have suffered a devastating defeat in the lead up to the Rio Olympics - going down 7-0 to the Newcastle Jets under-15 boys side.

Egmond said that the Matildas are often forced to play against boys teams as trying to find quality female opposition can be difficult.

It may not be the first time that the Australian team have suffered a heavy defeat against school boys with claims that they were 'smashed' by an under 16 Sydney FC team last year circulating.

The social media reaction to the defeat has been condemning with many claiming that the result is not good enough for a team that is expected to challenge for a medal at the Olympics.

PS. You mens team were recently beaten by England, so keep trying one day you might be able to get the hang of it.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Me too!

I hope they get a new ball for Sunday!
I think the balls are a bit lighter nowadays.
In olden days I remember grandad telling me about the big leather balls footballers used to play with.
This current pansy shower of footballers wouldn't know how to handle those old balls.
Never mind kick 'em.

Looking forward to tomorrow nights game though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 11:06 AM

These days I only ever watch the World Cup and the Euros up until England get slaughtered by the local under sevens five a side team. So don't watch much really.

I have learned not to get too excited or optimistic about the England team and their long line of suicidal managers.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 11:21 AM

I hate football, a game for big girls, which is probably why the ladies teams do so much better than the men.
The England team haven't excited anybody for years, but I did support Wales in the Euro's... even though I am English, and thought they did better than England.
When football gets back to being more about talent than money, perhaps we will see matches that excite the crowd, rather than disappoint them. It may also help if the spectators tried to use drink to celebrate a win..... that way most English supporter will stop embarrassing their country!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

PS. You mens team were recently beaten by England, so keep trying one day you might be able to get the hang of it.
Except that the previous time the Socceroos played England they beat them, so that is merely one all.

But hopefully we will never get the hang of soccer, as sports go it is sooo boring, ends in too many draws and attracts too much violence. Never have problems during (or after) the footie.

Australia's national women's soccer team have suffered a devastating defeat in the lead up to the Rio Olympics - going down 7-0 to the Newcastle Jets under-15 boys side.
Mind you playing Newcastle Jets under 15 boys would be a bit like playing Iceland I would imagine.

Anyway how did England go in Euro 16?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 06:10 AM

But hopefully we will never get the hang of soccer, as sports go it is sooo boring, ends in too many draws and attracts too much violence. Never have problems during (or after) the footie.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/11/i-wont-apologise-for-australias-football-violence-problem-nor-should-
the-ffa

https://www.theguardian.com/football...orism-in-paris
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:11 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/11/i-wont-apologise-for-australias-football-violence-problem-nor-should-
the-ffa

https://www.theguardian.com/football...orism-in-paris

Exactly my point, that is SOCCER not Footie. Footie is NRL or AFL.

NRL

AFL

Do try to keep up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
If only !!!! If there was a referendum on football I'd definitely vote OUT
Me too. Thank God it's over. Now all we need is for Wimbledon to finish.

If only they'd put the same emphasis on cricket as they do on football and tennis, I'd be well suited.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 02:03 PM

British culture – Why is football so popular in England?

Although football is considered important (even a way of life sometimes) all around the world, there is a particular obsession in England which may be because of the sport’s history.
Why is England considered the home of football?

England is considered the home of football and many people believe that the sport originated in England.
What a shame then that England is, apparently, crap at its 'national game'.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Or Tea Duelling, yes!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top