Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 01:41 AM

Over 50's Club OZ

Hi just realized we don't have a thread for some of the most prominent and ferocious subscribers here!

so I'll put another prawn on the barbie and get started!

I'm in the top end of Western Australia - the biggest state in OZ - I think UK can fit in it 10-12 times but may stand corrected!

we only have two seasons the dry and the wet - self explanatory - we have just moved into the wet and love to see the dark clouds hear the thunder and dance in the rain. it can still hit temps of 38C in the day so my best time is 5am in the morn at 22C and walkin the dogs - unfortunately the flies get up early too.

we move from aircon conditions to aircon conditions - car to shops to home and wait for the cool evenings at 26C - you get acclimatized eventually.

I live just outside a small town on an 8 acre block which I can 'station' or as the yanks say ' ranch' and enjoy it's peace and quite - no one passes by unless invited.

try to do some 'gardening' before 7am and then indoors house work - some shopping and back at noon for a beer.

how's the rest of OZ you guys - and we don't mind visitors here either especially Kiwis, Yanks and Canadians!

our weather patterns vary significantly from state to state so I hear where pummie comes from they are having some wild electrical storms and it's a lot cooler in Melbourne heh?

gumbud
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 02:59 AM

Re: Over 50's Club OZ

OMG the bastions of democracy has been breached in the last few days or exercised depending on how you view it. A group of youngish protesters against asylum seekers detained launched an attack in the last week of parliament and forced it into delay mode. they first entered the visitors gallery then superglued their hands to the rails and started protesting just as the PM was to make an important announcement. they were finally evicted - screaming!

then today they absailed down the front of the parliament building unfurling a protest banner. of course the total security of parliament house has now been reviewed which may result in less freedom of access to our hallowed halls of democracy but less options for true terrorists to follow suit!
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

01-12-2016, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
OMG the bastions of democracy has been breached in the last few days or exercised depending on how you view it. A group of youngish protesters against asylum seekers detained launched an attack in the last week of parliament and forced it into delay mode. they first entered the visitors gallery then superglued their hands to the rails and started protesting just as the PM was to make an important announcement. they were finally evicted - screaming!

then today they absailed down the front of the parliament building unfurling a protest banner. of course the total security of parliament house has now been reviewed which may result in less freedom of access to our hallowed halls of democracy but less options for true terrorists to follow suit!
Ah to be young enough to absail in such an illustrious spot

Good for them.
Seriously..any excuse to restrict the people's access to our elite sand pit will do.
It's a bit of a cheek given the behaviour in parliament of some of "our representatives" Chook suit anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fNe2RTpcq8

Paul Keating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Ivp-A413A

Our house is irreverent..why would we want it any other way?

Mind you I don't give them many marks for creativity or humour..young people are way too somber in their protest these days ..Go the The chook suit !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

01-12-2016, 08:53 AM

welome bridget - paul keating was in my opinion the greatest political raconteur of our current times - he was a natural born comic.

parliament today pales into insignificance from those days!

shopping today in the only WW in town and also the only IGA [much smaller - guess which is cheaper?] dropped into our lovely homeware store were I purchased one item but stayed and chatted for an hr - mens talk ya know.

dropped in to see the MIL and Step FIL who always give me a laugh and lift my spirits and to my surprise at the PO got a box that suspiciously looked like cigars from USA - from a secret admirer and had managed to evade customs checks which would have doubled the price of purchase!

I always like to get home by lunch or late lunch time for a cool beer!
GB
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 10:34 PM

Blimey, I seem to have stumbled on a sort of outback 'Gum's Bits' G'Day Gumbud....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

01-12-2016, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Blimey, I seem to have stumbled on a sort of outback 'Gum's Bits' G'Day Gumbud....
welcome OGF - try to avoid the 'stumbling' a bit more!

yesterday was just going to be an ordinary sort of day in the outback until I hit the post office and had a slip in my mailbox [we don't do street drops up here] parcel to collect - once I saw it I knew - by smell, sight and stealth - it was a box of cigars from USA and had flown under the border patrol scanner - early xmas present from the wee laddie. He rang lately and we betted on when I would smoke my first based on certain dates for free bottles of bourbon - he thinks he's a betting man! they have to be carefully unwrapped and then laid down for a week at the right humidity - smoking dry is an 'orrible experience - he's lost two bottles already!!

up at the crack of 5am as usual -26C slight breeze and dog walkin - the usual tracks - snakes, kangaroo trails and their scratchings for roots beneath the trail but no one else is about - that's what I like - just us and the pristine world!

the rest gets hot and sweaty

gumbud.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 11:41 PM

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 12:43 AM

Do we need our passports to come here?
Mine is still in my case at the airport.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2016, 12:47 AM

I've never had one Mups ... I don't think they give them to livestock.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

02-12-2016, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do we need our passports to come here?
Mine is still in my case at the airport.
OFF's nah that's why it's called the WWW too!

but if ya come to OZ dunna forget ya bikini that's all ya'll need - many ozzie cities are heating up right now and old people, pregnant women, baby carrying mothers and toddlers are being warned to keep out of the sun - which category do you fit Mups - you can pick more than one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top