Join for free
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Read this and perhaps you'll NEVER want to use the internet again!

I read this article yesterday, and I must say I am rather worried about it's content.

More importantly.
Are YOU?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ink-again.html

Thought you were safe online? Think again: How a security expert exposed Antonia's bank password and intimate details about her children in hours... but you CAN protect yourself.
Antonia Hoyle enlisted help of expert to find out how vulnerable she is to fraud
She gave Luke Potter her name and told him to ignore other information online.
Within hours Luke had revealed Antonia's bank password and mobile number.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Re: Read this and perhaps you'll NEVER want to use the internet again!

We only shop on one of our devices so no details available from any other and the one we use is well protected. But I think if anyone was really determined they'd get into any system. It's a trade off between convenience and safety really. Also the only account we use on line has just enough money to last a month, we don't expose everything on line. That sounded ruder than I meant

I post a lot about family so it wouldn't surprise me anyone could find us, but as I am a dreadful liar just can't do it I haven't anything to hide. But security wise it is a worry again a trade off between being a happy chatter and security.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We only shop on one of our devices so no details available from any other and the one we use is well protected. But I think if anyone was really determined they'd get into any system. It's a trade off between convenience and safety really. Also the only account we use on line has just enough money to last a month, we don't expose everything on line. That sounded ruder than I meant

I post a lot about family so it wouldn't surprise me anyone could find us, but as I am a dreadful liar just can't do it I haven't anything to hide. But security wise it is a worry again a trade off between being a happy chatter and security.
Thank you for posting Julie.
I think what you say there has it just about right Julie, but I don't think there is any doubt about it.
The internet is getting to be quite a dangerous place to be.
One way or another.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Yes, it's worrying BC. Have to admit I often feel vulnerable when I buy and bank on the internet, what's the alternative these days though? Banks are closing all their branches and online shopping is more and more popular.

I know I'm easy to find on the net and really that doesn't bother me, identity theft does but what's the alternative? Keep your cash under the mattress close the curtains and speak to no one?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 08:17 AM

Hi

I have different accounts and passwords.

It really is not an issue for me.

My personal email account is just that, private.

I have a password generator which I use and then alter two symbols at random.

Where I live is on the Internet, posted by me, but I have no issues with that.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 11:23 AM

im with Swimmy

I have a personal email account
I have one for my banking
I have one for here, a different one for a different forum etc etc

No need to have just one email account at all
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

08-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes, it's worrying BC. Have to admit I often feel vulnerable when I buy and bank on the internet, what's the alternative these days though? Banks are closing all their branches and online shopping is more and more popular.

I know I'm easy to find on the net and really that doesn't bother me, identity theft does but what's the alternative? Keep your cash under the mattress close the curtains and speak to no one?

I don't think I would recommend that either Summer.
My Wife and I check whatever accounts we have with Nationwide online at least twice a week.
But there is always an air of trepidation in case our funds have been wiped out by some low life's living in Swaziland or summat!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

08-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
im with Swimmy

I have a personal email account
I have one for my banking
I have one for here, a different one for a different forum etc etc

No need to have just one email account at all
I have 4 different E. Mail accounts for similar reasons to you Missy.
And it all sort of works.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 11:36 AM

Hi

A friend at work had an email account especially for fraudsters.

He used to joke that he wanted someone to pay off his overdraft.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

08-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A friend at work had an email account especially for fraudsters.

He used to joke that he wanted someone to pay off his overdraft.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top