Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Re: Brexit Final Deal

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
I what way is my post rubbish? Where is it inaccurate?
We had a referendum which was clearly worded to ask us whether we would like to remain in the EU or leave it.

I can't imagine anything more straightforward.

The majority of those who chose to vote, voted to leave.

Now, the remainiacs are assuring us that we didn't realise what we were voting for, and that what people didn't know was HOW we were to leave the EU.

A desperate attempt to persuade us that we were wrong.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 07:43 PM

I suppose it’s easier to ignore a question than try to answer it.

I don’t mind being told that you disagree with my views - that’s fair enough but I’m not trying to persuade anyone that they were wrong. My own judgement is what matters to me.

I’d still like to know what is inaccurate in my previous post.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 08:15 PM

The referendum was advisory. Parliament voted to endorse the result of the referendum. Should Parliament in the future believe that the UK’s best interests would be served by rejoining the EU, Parliament would be able to endorse a re-entry application unless a binding referendum is held on the issue. And I don’t think any government would repeat Cameron’s mistake.

We live in a representative democracy. We vote for MP representatives to make decisions and act on our behalf.
I what way is my post rubbish? Where is it inaccurate?
Well for starters, the leaflet I received from that nice Mr Cameron did not state anywhere that the referendum was only advisory. In fact, it stated that we have the free choice of remaining or leaving and that would be honoured.

Also, even assuming that some remainiacs should try to deny it, the majority of voters stated that they want to leave the EU. If Parliament decided it best (in their 'unbiased' opinion) that we don't leave, they would be going against the will of the majority of people who expressed their wishes.

It is important that you remember we live in a democracy (that is a nation ruled by the people and not a small number of politicians) at least for the present anyway.

There you are: my answer you requested.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well for starters, the leaflet I received from that nice Mr Cameron did not state anywhere that the referendum was only advisory. In fact, it stated that we have the free choice of remaining or leaving and that would be honoured.

Also, even assuming that some remainiacs should try to deny it, the majority of voters stated that they want to leave the EU. If Parliament decided it best (in their 'unbiased' opinion) that we don't leave, they would be going against the will of the majority of people who expressed their wishes.

It is important that you remember we live in a democracy (that is a nation ruled by the people and not a small number of politicians) at least for the present anyway.

There you are: my answer you requested.
You have not answered the question at all have you?
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Well, a part answer anyway.

Unfortunately Cameron didn’t make a very good job of those referendum leaflets. Despite their content, the Bill which approved the referendum failed to make the result legally binding and this was confirmed in the Supreme Court ruling in the A50/royal prerogative case. Which was why Parliament had to formally approve the triggering of A50.

It’s all on record if you wish to check.

I’ve never denied that a slim majority voted to Leave and I’m surprised you think I might have forgotten that I live in a democracy since I mentioned that we live in a representative democracy two posts back.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top