Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:43 PM

Re: A & E hospital changes in pipeline?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
111 come out to you, but they are the medics in a car rather than an ambulance. If they think you need to be in hospital they will call an ambulance.

I never knew that Annie! I live and learn.
Thank you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Neither did I
But, the trouble with that is that in certain life threatening instances unless the 111 medics come in a batmobile, having to factor in that they then have to call an ambulance could cost a life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I read this too, although not in the Grauniad!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...tients-from-ae

(I chose this link because if I'd mentioned that I read it in the DM, our leftie brethren wouldn't have believed me!)

I see that the idiot Hunt is behind it too.

Whilst I agree that Casualty departments are very much over-used, especially by the Friday and Saturday night drunks, I can imagine some possible disadvantages:

"Oh my God! I've cut my wrist on my table saw. The blood's pouring out. I must call 111."

Calls 111.

20 minutes later, still awaiting an answer,
"There's blood everywhere and it's still pouring out. I'm feeling faint. Please, hurry up and answer, 111."

30 minutes on and still no answer. All goes quiet. Man with slashed wrist lies dead on the floor.
in such a situation you should call an ambulance...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:56 PM

Annie, you sure they 111 will visit?

As I said, I had never heard of that before, so tried to find out more, and this is what I found, but there is no mention of them visiting?

How does it work?

The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics.

They'll ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you to the local service that can help you best.

That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre, a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist, or a late-opening chemist.

Where possible, the NHS 111 team will book you an appointment or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to.

If NHS 111 advisers think you need an ambulance, they'll immediately arrange for one to be sent to you.

Calls to 111 are recorded. All calls and the records created are maintained securely.

Information recorded during the call will be shared with other professionals directly involved in your care. Some of it will also be shared with NHS Digital to improve NHS 111 and 999 services.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
111 come out to you, but they are the medics in a car rather than an ambulance. If they think you need to be in hospital they will call an ambulance.
When I called 111 last winter when my sister was so ill, it was a Call Centre.

The girl who answered my call asked me a million questions, then she referred me to a doctor.

Then a while later I got a call from the doctor who went through it all again and he arranged for another doctor to come to the house.

A doctor came to the house at 9 pm.
My first call to 111 had been at 2 pm.

My sister was in the ambulance at 11pm and in hospital at 1am.

The care was first class but I wouldn't say speedy...but it was New Year's Day and apparently there were 2,500 calls that day and our Centre covers 4 counties
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Annie, you sure they 111 will visit?

As I said, I had never heard of that before, so tried to find out more, and this is what I found, but there is no mention of them visiting?

How does it work?

The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics.

They'll ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you to the local service that can help you best.

That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre, a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist, or a late-opening chemist.

Where possible, the NHS 111 team will book you an appointment or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to.

If NHS 111 advisers think you need an ambulance, they'll immediately arrange for one to be sent to you.

Calls to 111 are recorded. All calls and the records created are maintained securely.

Information recorded during the call will be shared with other professionals directly involved in your care. Some of it will also be shared with NHS Digital to improve NHS 111 and 999 services.
last time I called 111 they sent a car with a couple of medics. This was quite a while back though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2017, 11:19 PM

As you say ruthio, good care, but not exactly speedy.
9 hours to get your sister an ambulance.
Good job she wasn't bleeding to death.
I hope she recovered well.

I wonder why they do not mention they will visit on the NHS info I posted above?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Neither did I
But, the trouble with that is that in certain life threatening instances unless the 111 medics come in a batmobile, having to factor in that they then have to call an ambulance could cost a life.
I'm not sure but I think 999 still works for ambulances. But they have things like defibrilators and other life-saving equipment in the batmobile.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-10-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I wonder why they do not mention they will visit on the NHS info I posted above?
the info you posted does say "If NHS 111 advisers think you need an ambulance, they'll immediately arrange for one to be sent to you."

I'm assuming they send someone to you if necessary because they did send me a car when I called. The car is community urgent care I believe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2017, 11:41 PM

Good job you managed to get help anyway, Annie.

I can't help but worry about these morbid things as I get older, especially living on my own.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top