Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Re: A & E hospital changes in pipeline?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As you say ruthio, good care, but not exactly speedy.
9 hours to get your sister an ambulance.
Good job she wasn't bleeding to death.
I hope she recovered well.
Thanks Mups...the 111 advisors assess you, and it is they who decide what comes next...
Bit like the triage system at A&E.

I called because I wanted advice as I was very worried about my sister who we thought had the 'flu. Her speech was slurred and her mobility very shaky and breathing shallow.
Was it an emergency? You tell me...

It turned out that she had pneumonia and sepsis and kidney infection.
Holy Shit!!!

She did recover but it's taken all this year.

Had she been bleeding I'd have called an ambulance!!!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:44 PM

I called 111 about six months ago at around 6pm and they said a doctor would come out to see me. I live in a town of over 100,000 people. The doctor eventually arrived at 11.30 pm and told me that he had driven forty miles to make the visit as there was not one available in the local area.

When I damaged my ribs last month in an accident I refused to go to A&E because I knew it would be at least a four hour wait and in any case, they cant treat broken ribs. So just took a couple of Paracetamol..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:46 PM

And how are the ribs now CeeCee?
That must have been very painful.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks Mups...the 111 advisors assess you, and it is they who decide what comes next...
Bit like the triage system at A&E.

I called because I wanted advice as I was very worried about my sister who we thought had the 'flu. Her speech was slurred and her mobility very shaky and breathing shallow.
Was it an emergency? You tell me...

It turned out that she had pneumonia and sepsis and kidney infection.
Holy Shit!!!

She did recover but it's taken all this year.

Had she been bleeding I'd have called an ambulance!!!

Gosh ruthio, that really was very bad. Poor woman.
Good job you were there to help her.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:58 PM

Gosh ruthio, that really was very bad. Poor woman.
Good job you were there to help her.
Yes and she came out of hospital after 6 days and wasn't fit to travel for three weeks, stayed with us...meanwhile I'd got the bug and had bronchitis, my son had it too, he fainted and split his lip, jeeze it was like a cross between Casualty and a Brian Rix farce here!!!

Then after it all calmed down and she went to stay with her daughter, I went down with nervous exhaustion...been nuts ever since as you can tell on here!

Seriously, it taught me a very valuable lesson.... DON'T wait and see how you feel tomorrow, call the surgery or 111 or go to A&E NOW (whichever is appropriate)....remember how I nagged Twink?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-10-2017, 12:03 AM

Yes and she came out of hospital after 6 days and wasn't fit to travel for three weeks, stayed with us...meanwhile I'd got the bug and had bronchitis, my son had it too, he fainted and split his lip, jeeze it was like a cross between Casualty and a Brian Rix farce here!!!

Then after it all calmed down and she went to stay with her daughter, I went down with nervous exhaustion...been nuts ever since as you can tell on here!

Seriously, it taught me a very valuable lesson.... DON'T wait and see how you feel tomorrow, call the surgery or 111 or go to A&E NOW (whichever is appropriate)....remember how I nagged Twink?

You certainly went through the mill there gal.

With regard to going to A & E though, that is what this thread was all about in the biginning, they are thinking of ways to prevent us going on our own, if they can.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

15-10-2017, 12:10 AM

You certainly went through the mill there gal.

With regard to going to A & E though, that is what this thread was all about in the biginning, they are thinking of ways to prevent us going on our own, if they can.
Looking back I should've called 111 or spoken to the pharmacist up the road or called 111 several days earlier...but when it's someone else it's not easy, especially when they tell you they're feeling a bit better!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 01:14 AM

Good job you managed to get help anyway, Annie.

I can't help but worry about these morbid things as I get older, especially living on my own.
....and so you should. Every government meddles with the NHS As you mentioned that the walk in centre closed, well it was opened via different policies. So yes money down the drain. There is a lot of waste because of political whims, even though part of the principles of the health and social care act was to separate the NHS from state interference and political games. Has that happened? Has it hell.

I was watching a welsh assembly committee meeting discussing health and social care today. They were talking about how the impact of the blockage by social care bottlenecks would stop them running a seamless and efficient service until those issues were addressed. The same is true here. The responsibility for social care rests with severely stretched local authorities. So we now have no direct access to A&E. It's all political meddling that's causing this. On top of this there aren't enough doctors and nurses and they did mention the impact of Brexit in the Welsh Assembly, but I won't start to discuss that because it makes me fume....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Hi

We had two walk in centres, one now closed, the other closing shortly.

We have a County wide review of Minor Injuries Units being started, which does not make sense.

A and E is 40 minutes away, rural farming villages around here, loads of minor injuries which need a clean and a few stitches and very well used.

There is something seriously wrong with the system.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 08:42 AM

And you were right Ruthio!
I called 111 who put me in touch with a triage nurse. That nurse told me that A&E wouldn't even send me for an x ray, if I could make a fist... and I could. A week later my GP sent me for an x ray and I discovered it was badly broken so I was put in a cast... which won't be coming off till at least 3rd Nov.
All these new ideas on how to keep the patient safe yet save money are a waste of time, and the majority of the staff concerned, don't have the experience, knowledge or time to give constructive help!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top