Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Re: State Pension to Rise

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
But will that apply to us who are already on a state pension? there is already an inbalance with new pensioners being entitled to more than existing ones
Yes but they have had to work longer to get their pensions than some of us delaying their retirement so I don't begrudge them the extra . It's 'swings and roundabouts' .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Hi

I paid into works pensions and was classed as contracted out, which means my State Pension is nearly £40 a week less than the headline figure, if they ever pay out that is.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What I don't get ... is how would this lofty idea of a universal income for all fit it?

At the moment the trend seems to be to claw it back off pensioners via raising retirement age .. and yet ... should a universal income come in the term 'retired' wouldn't really apply anymore.

There's a misconception that pensioners are somehow wealthier than the majority of the rest of society or are expected to have a lower standard of living and/or less expensive tastes or needs.
Morti you might be interested in this https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ges-fewer-jobs it's not a pro universal income article it looks at it from various sides.

Personally I'm very keen on a universal income as it would mean a way out of unemployment for many having been on benefit for a year I know how hard it is to transition from that into work. It would also cost less than our current benefits system to administer.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Providing that my rent doesn't rise, and with a pension rise I may not have to dip into my savings each month to survive.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Today's Inflation figure is the one that sets next year's State Pension.

It will rise by 3%, whereas average wages have risen by only 2.1%.

This means the Chancellor has to find another £3.5 Billion to fund the increase.

It will be interesting to see how he funds it.
Well I can say without fear of contraception that it won't be coming from the foreign aid budget.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
Oh well its something I suppose, but they get it back in tax from me,

e.g. if I get 15k pension, + 15k driving Trucks,. I pay tax on 30k income

but its ok by me it pays for my winter holidays , and certain other luxuries
cant see how you pay tax on 30k as your personal allowance is around 11k so you should only pay tax on 19k so £3800 not £6000?
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
cant see how you pay tax on 30k as your personal allowance is around 11k so you should only pay tax on 19k so £3800 not £6000?
Yes you are correct I simplified my post, what I meant was my pension and earnings are lumped together to make a gross income, less of course allowances, but it still means that I pay slightly more tax on the 15k than I would have normally etc but at least I don't have to pay N.I now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The state pension should reflect what one pays into it, allowing for a base rate for those that haven't.

its our own money we put in and now should be able to draw against it, not rely on those in work paying.

I started paying with what was called "Graduated pension" and been paying in since I was 15 years old ,that is at least 50 years worth in their bin.
Luckily I not only have private pensions but works one as well, but even get taxed on that, so get hit twice
A sort of State Ponzi scheme.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well I can say without fear of contraception that it won't be coming from the foreign aid budget.
Maybe you will get it back in child benefits
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Whatever extra they put into my State Pension they willclaw back from my Works Pensions in tax - so it will probably not make much difference to me.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top