Join for free
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Re: Brexit, The Lies.

As Ivan Rogers told the select committee last week, we are dealing with a group of expert trade negotiators at the EU. They do this all the time. We have not had to do it for decades. We are at a distinct disadvantage end of.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by meg ->
we have turned into a country with many 'soft' people who have no guts, resilience or adaptability and the 'must have everythings' . It won't do us any harm to go without or substitute other things for those we can't get or afford.
There may be and a few rocky years until things settle down but i am confident it will all be worth it in the long term.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Hi

It is not the leaving of the EU I am concerned about, it is the total incompetence of those involved.

A year down the line and we still only have one Trade Negotiator?

Absolutely stupid.

We are the fifth largest economy in the world and we have less Trade Negotiators than the Ivory Coast.

It is about time our Government got real.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As Ivan Rogers told the select committee last week, we are dealing with a group of expert trade negotiators at the EU. They do this all the time. We have not had to do it for decades. We are at a distinct disadvantage end of.
Annie we could have the best negotiators in the world and I don't think it would make a jot of difference. We are being given the run around by the EU who do not want to negotiate anything , they just want to squeeze as much as they can out of us in the hope we will crumble and those who don't want us to leave will get their way.
There are too many people in the EU with too much to lose to let us out of their 'club' with anything like a reasonable agreement.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 08:57 PM

We can't blame the EU for the mess we are in.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Annie we could have the best negotiators in the world and I don't think it would make a jot of difference. We are being given the run around by the EU who do not want to negotiate anything , they just want to squeeze as much as they can out of us in the hope we will crumble and those who don't want us to leave will get their way.
There are too many people in the EU with too much to lose to let us out of their 'club' with anything like a reasonable agreement.
Indeed.

And if, in fact, we don't have a sufficient number of 'trained negotiators' that could be to our advantage!

The EU negotiators (or 'expropriators' might be a better word) will presumably be given the impression that we cannot negotiate our way out of a paper bag and, consequently, will keep demanding more and more to the extent that even our soft politicians will refuse to submit.

The outcome of that, hopefully, will be that we shall just walk.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 11:19 PM

Hi

Trade Negotiators are not involved in the current EU negotiations at the moment.

They are however essential for the next bit, if we ever get there.

One of the big advantages of Brexit is that we can negotiate our own Trade Deals, not having any negotiators is not a good start.

The vast majority of our exports are services, which are not covered by WTO Rules, we need these trade deals.

On the day we leave we will have to have in place all the Tariff and Non Tariff Schedules we currently use as part of the EU, a truly massive job.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Trade Negotiators are not involved in the current EU negotiations at the moment.

They are however essential for the next bit, if we ever get there.

One of the big advantages of Brexit is that we can negotiate our own Trade Deals, not having any negotiators is not a good start.

The vast majority of our exports are services, which are not covered by WTO Rules, we need these trade deals.

On the day we leave we will have to have in place all the Tariff and Non Tariff Schedules we currently use as part of the EU, a truly massive job.
Obviously while we have been part of the EU they have been doing trade negotiations on behalf of all the member states
so it has not been necessary for us to have a large contingent of our own trade negotiators .
It appears we have appointed a good chap in Crawford to work with Fox and to head a team of civil servants to handle trade negotiations before we finally extricate ourselves from the EU ..
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...iation-adviser
I am sure there are things going on behind the scenes to prepare for negotiations and I really don't see why we need too many chiefs to head our team of negotiators who can't be seen to be doing much anyway at this stage.

There is so much rubbish posted in the media by those who want our departure to fail I take most of it with a pinch of salt
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-10-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Please excuse my ignorance, but if other countries don't want to pay for our services, perhaps we could refuse to buy their products and go elsewhere?

Just asking, of course.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Please excuse my ignorance, but if other countries don't want to pay for our services, perhaps we could refuse to buy their products and go elsewhere?

Just asking, of course.
JB I guess with regard to leaving the EU Swim is referring to things like banking and insurance but I am sure we can come to some mutual agreement , if not we will survive . I don't go with all this pessimism ...

ETA I am a bit confused now as to whether Swim is concerned about our not having enough negotiators for when we finally get around to trade talks as part of our leaving the EU or negotiators to head talks when we have left or both , it's been a long day

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top