Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Re: Couple devastated after vet accidentally gives their puppy lethal injection instead o

Thanks Julie. I'd best avoid scare stories, eh?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Re: Couple devastated after vet accidentally gives their puppy lethal injection instead o

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Thanks Julie. I'd best avoid scare stories, eh?
I'll just say I'm very glad when I got my first dog the Internet wasn't around or I'd have been a jobbering wreck jazzi.

All the foods they can't eat, we didn't know that and had perfectly healthy dogs, all the limiting exercise for first few months again never heard that so they would just join in with the family rambles and get picked up if they said they'd had enough. Again no problems to any of them.

It's great we get information but I'd be careful what you actually believe or read. Any problems the lovely folk on this forum can help you I'm sure. Just give us a yell and don't forget that puppy stage doesn't last long so whatever you decide to do just relax and enjoy those days, they don't come back again.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanks Jule. I appreciate your words.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:13 AM

I know I am resurrecting this thread from last November which Clumsy posted originally, but I was reading my dog magazine last night and came across a report about a young Collie pup who died at the vet's.

As I read on, bits of the tale became familiar and after checking back on the animal threads here, I realised it was the same puppy that Clumsy had said about previously.
So here is a little more to this sad tale.

The distressed owner phoned her husband at work after the awful news.
I will quote the husband's own words here:

"As soon as I got home, we went to collect Molly, yet no vet was present to meet us and explain what happened.
"We were told by the receptionist that the vet had gone hom for the day. The receptionist tried to explain what happened. She confirmed that before she left, the vet also called the practice owner - and their insurers.

"Now while I understand that she was upset at what she had done , she had time to call her boss and her insurance and complete a report, but didn't have the decency to wait and meet us." (totally agree with this).

To compound their horror, they found Molly was stil lying on the table, covered in faeces !!!

"The receptionist said she would get the practice owner to call us as soon as he returned. 3 hours later I still hadn't heard from him, so I called him".

3 days later, Wayne (the pups owner) felt moved to write his very reasonable letter. It said:

"We would like a full written report, detailing a written account of what exactly happened to Molly and why her life was ended so abruptly.
We would also like a meeting to discuss what happened, and a full apology.
"Lastly, but, least important under the circumstances, we would like compensation for our financial loss due to paid-for service not received, with no reasonable care and skill as should be expected."
End of quote.

I thought that was an excellent letter and Molly's Dad was quite right.

The outcome was, the owners found out exactly what happened in the end.
Little Molly had a bad reactio to her puppy vaccs and was ill enough to be taken in and put on a drip.
As 'often' happens, the drip got clogged.
The vet reached into a cupboard for a vial of solution they'd usually give to get the drip flowing again. But sadly, someone had stored very dangerous drugs in the same cabinet - drugs that should routinely be kept locked away!
Poor Molly had received a deadly dose of potassium chloride.

The Maguires eventually received a letter of apologyu from Molly's vet. It was dated 30th September. Molly had died on 4th August!! The letter had come via the insurers - the Veterinary Defence Society.

They were offered £150 for the purchase price of Molly but only part of ther expenses.
Mr. Maguire refused the their offer as it did not cover all their costs. He told them he woudl go to the press and share all the correspondence with them, so other pet owners would see how the practice had failed.

The trouble is, legally speaking, dogs are still regarded as 'property', so 'justice' means tha tthe owners will be entitled to compensation only for the value of their 'property.'

The Maguires have been recommended to approach complaining to a new mediation scheme 'Veterinary Client Mediation Service', who can get owners an apology and a refund or corrective treatment plus a goodwill payment. This scheme is volunatary but the veterinary surgeon must also agree tot he VCMS's involvement.

I don't know if they will consider this or not.

Sorry this has been such a logn post, but it wouldn't have made sense if I'd made it any shorter.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

04-01-2018, 12:19 AM

That is just so shocking!

I was worried when Holly had her second vax and just stood about with her head limp, so I phoned for reassurance. They said she would perk up in a few hours, but it was a worrying time, waiting for the signs that she would be ok.

I bet the stock answer from the vets would be 'lessons have been learnt!'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:25 AM

Mups thanks for the update, thats horrible, the poor owners ..

You hear of people having vaccinations and pesticide drops at the same time which horrifies me, I think it is too much overload on the immune system.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups thanks for the update, thats horrible, the poor owners ..

You hear of people having vaccinations and pesticide drops at the same time which horrifies me, I think it is too much overload on the immune system.

Totally agree Meg.
Same as people taking pups for their first vacc too early, while the little one still has immunity from it's mother. - assuming it has been suckled normally.
So the jabs won't take properly, yet how many vets refuse to do it???

I am so glad I have the smashing bloke I have as a vet. I'd trust him with my own life easily.

I have another, much shorter tale to tell in another pet thread in a mo.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 01:44 AM

I can't begin to imagine the horror anyone would feel at such a dreadful occurrence. I actually showed the original article to our Vet here, she couldn't believe that those drugs were kept together. I have to say that we have always received advice on vaccinations, as to when they should be given, how far apart etc, and our Vets have never been anything but kind and caring to both the patient and owners. I was so worried this last time with ChoCho's eye operation, I think the Vet would have liked to put me to sleep as well as ChoCho ! I'm still very impressed and amazed at how they managed to operate inside her bottom eyelid, now there is no visible sign of anything but a beautiful clear eye.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Terrible thing to happen, at least the vet owned up to it. It would have been easy for him to say the pup died of another cause. So sad.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Yes I agree accidents happen, Summer, but it seems the way it was handled afterwards left a lot to be desired.
For a start, not only would I have been heartbroken, it would sure have rubbed salt in the wound to find my dog still on the table, covered in poo, and no one willing to talk to me but the receptionist!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top