Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 02:55 AM

The New Austin Brexit

I was reading that Austin is bringing out a new car to celebrate Brexit; that'll give British manufacture the boost it needs to bring back the glory days of the 1950s.

Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Re: The New Austin Brexit

British Engineers are rubbish . All things British are rubbish and everything foreign is amazing!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi

British engineers are some of the best in the World, that is why so many F1 Teams are based here in the UK.

Unfortunately we are not very good at manufacturing, therein lies the problem.

We rely on other countries, like the Japanese with the Toyota factory, to show us how to do it.

We have an us and them attitude to Industrial Relations, the dinosaur age, the Germans, Japanese do not have that attitude.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 10:07 AM

I loved my Austin, it was my first car and ran like a dream. Until it turned into a rust bucket that is...

We have some of the most innovative people here and some of the best engineering skills but we have never been able to deal well with investing in that talent or dealing with expansion when business goes global. Joining up the dots is not a great talent when things get complex. Charisma is not king, the customer is.

In Germany they have many medium sized or smaller businesses that are privately owned. It works well for them. They tend to focus on their own specialty rather than try to be the whole orchestra. It's not the best model but it works for them because of their culture of cooperation. They do value education, expertise and engineering far more than we do. It's a national treasure there. What's our national treasure? The Queen?

We can't afford to manufacture at the rates the workforce wants here, when the rest of the world is using cheap countries in the far east.

We are very good at retail. This requires having great trading relationships and open channels of reliable supplies. But again many are being complacent about the internet revolution. I observed BHS for years. I'm surprised it didn't fold sooner. It was in the worst position strategically.
Various companies just don't know when it's time to change. Ostrich mentality? Or hobbit mentality?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 11:07 AM

I hope the emission levels are as good as VW.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Coming from having been in manufacturing in late 70s early 80s I'd say we are good at manufacturing our attention to safety and quality is second to none. But we had terrible management in many areas who didn't value the staff as they should have done and in many cases cut corners with quality of materials.

It killed us to see some of the things we had to work with, we knew it wouldn't last long and begged for better materials but money was the top line. Practices like 3 minutes to go to the loo, 5 to drink a coffee and losing an hour of wages if we were 10 minutes late really didn't make us want to do our best for the managers.

If we get all that right I think we could be a good place to do high end manufacturing, the quality can be achieved here but it needs quality materials and a willingness to pay for the products.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Not sure why Brexit bothers you so much Bruce, we just want to be an independent country, a bit like Australia in fact.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2017, 10:06 PM

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 01:05 AM

what are you trying to prove? You won remember....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Not sure why Brexit bothers you so much Bruce, we just want to be an independent country, a bit like Australia in fact.....
I am sorry if you get the impression that Brexit bothers me in the slightest, whether Britain remains in the EU or not is of no concern to me either way as I have stated before (infact I voted 'No' in the 1975 referendum on the issue). The above article was sent to me by my cousin who lives in the UK.

From afar I am merely an observer of the slow train wreck that is Brexit. However if there was a more chaotic way of leaving the EU (or indeed any organisation) managed by a more incompetent government with apparently absolutely no idea what they are doing I would be interested to hear about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top