Join for free
Page 168 of 370 « First < 68 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 218 268 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I went up to the gym last night but I didn't realise it closes early on a Friday so I only managed a 20 minute cardio session and 20 minutes swim. Better than nothing I suppose.

Not done any exercise today except walking about the school on our school reunion outing.

Tomorrow morning my best friend and I are going for an early morning swim.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The thing I notice most about our postings (and I'm sorry if I don't include some members who post in this thread, but I guess you will understand too), is that between three main 'core' of us who regularly post here - that is, Bob, Suzie and myself - we have our oh-so-traumatic piutfalls; our ups and downs and our "as if it's going to be the end opf the world if we don't carry on exercising" scenarios.....but guys (and gals), we DO CARRY ON...and it's mainly because we are compelled to do so; we train in our own way, whether it be running, surfing, weight lifting; whatever. We just do it

Is it because we don't want to let anybody down on this here forum because we may not appear with a post? (possibly), Are we getting lazy (I think not)?, Are we otherwise busy? (perhaps), or is it because we like to exercise (most definitely of course!!)?!

So we carry on through our niggles, our pain. Our backache, our, toe problems, our nausea, our, kitchen redevelopment, our pilfomis muscle playing up, our bad weather and storms, our dizziness, our personal issues and our general angsty hang-ups!

We keep training. It's what we do.

Good on yer I say. ALL OF YOU!
Good post Floydy, I think Surfermom mentioned a few posts back how it's more a lifestyle than an exercise routine. Running has never been about winning with me, or else I would have packed up years ago. I first realised that as a walker, running enabled me to go further and faster. I was amazed what my body was capable of with just a little training. And now, I understand the value of trying to balance on that plateau of fitness and wellbeing. I have had some wobbles recently, but have still managed to cling on and shuffle my way to the top....... I have visions of a very fast decline should I ever call it a day for whatever reason.... So it's not an option....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Strange as it may seem, but following Thursday's acrobatics I seem to be suffering less pain with my piriformis than usual. Even as I jogged home after the fall, running seemed somehow free'er. I woke on Friday expecting more of a walk than a run and was surprised to run practically all the way round my five miler.

I was again surprised yesterday morning as I found myself with less stiffness and pain as normal. And so we come to this morning's run, and as I set off, in what I would call 'almost perfect conditions' I broke the 'post piriformis' record and legged it round in sixty two minutes.... If I could only join all the fast bits together to make one speedy run it would be progress indeed.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Strange as it may seem, but following Thursday's acrobatics I seem to be suffering less pain with my piriformis than usual. Even as I jogged home after the fall, running seemed somehow free'er. I woke on Friday expecting more of a walk than a run and was surprised to run practically all the way round my five miler.

I was again surprised yesterday morning as I found myself with less stiffness and pain as normal. And so we come to this morning's run, and as I set off, in what I would call 'almost perfect conditions' I broke the 'post piriformis' record and legged it round in sixty two minutes.... If I could only join all the fast bits together to make one speedy run it would be progress indeed.....
I think we're back in the land of the living, don't you Bob?

That's great news for you there and it must be a couple of months at least since you managed a five mile run like that. Well done matey

In fact, just reading your post has made me decide against going straight out into the garden to sunbathe and make a short journey to the gym instead. I almost sacked off my second part of the session I started yesterday to simply lounge around today, but now you've got me motivated big time. In fact it will nicely coincide with being out of any line of fire of some desperately overpaid and shouty footballer types kicking a bag of air around some grass and hugging and kissing each other...

Back soon!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Right the sun lounger beckons so, very quickly...

The thing with going to the gym today paid off well as I made sure I was there whilst the England game was going on in all its over-inflated glory. With the gym almost empty save for those not watching the match because they don’t like football i.e. they are either:
(a) This is Hull and rugby league rules ok.
(b) They are not English
(c) They are gay
(d) They are at work
(e) They are hyper-serious about their training
With myself of course, the reason is (a) but there were some serious-looking oddballs around that gym this afternoon

Normally my Sunday session is confined to some leg work, but catching up from the week wouldn’t leave my state of wellbeing, so I added what turned out to be a more than quite intensive biceps session. The weights are not especially heavy but when done without much rest over 50 reps, the poundage feels like it’s increased ten-fold by the final few reps of the last set. Despite the heat and my breathlessness I reached my goals much as I did in yesterday’s session.

Sunday, 24/6/18: Biceps, legs.

Seated machine arm curls:
20x25, 15x25, 15x25

Standing barbell curl:
22x25, 18x25, 10x25

E-Z bar preacher curl, low pull, close grip:
23x28, 16x28, 11x28

E-Z bar preacher curl, low pull, wide grip:
20x23, 17x23, 13x23

Standing arm curls (stack machine):
25x20, 18x20, 7x20

*That was a great biceps routine. By the end of all that my arms were ridiculously pumped and screaming for mercy! I’m afraid I’ll never succumb to an easy life in the gym.
Three quick exercises for the legs to round things off tidily. On these I doubled the reps to 100 on the first two exercises.

Incline press:
40x150, 35x150, 25x150

Sled press:
46x140, 35x140, 19x140

Seated ham curls:
35x40, 15x40

Time: 1 hour.

Feeling at the point of near-death for much of that routine I departed (avoiding the footie match going on at reception’s telly and went home to set about unfolding my sun lounger

Thanks for reading
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Been for a 40 minute swim today. I've bought a fitness tracker today, a Garmin one as the FitBits were too expensive. Its on charge right now so I'll be trying it out tomorrow. I wanted to treat myself so I did. It counts reps as well apparently. I guess I'll be working out how to use it for the rest of the year though LOL
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

25-06-2018, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Been for a 40 minute swim today. I've bought a fitness tracker today, a Garmin one as the FitBits were too expensive. Its on charge right now so I'll be trying it out tomorrow. I wanted to treat myself so I did. It counts reps as well apparently. I guess I'll be working out how to use it for the rest of the year though LOL
I got my wife one of these for Christmas, Lion Queen. Sadly, it's still in its box...which is usual for my wife and her fads.
Smoothie makers, crocs shoes etc etc etc...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 05:13 AM

How exciting and motivating, LQ! All of my running watches have been Garmins. I've been loyal to their products for personal reasons (I have many long-time friends who are Garmin engineers and executives), but all of my watches and GPS products have been reliable and easy-to-use. Let me know what you think to it!

Floydy, while you were all about upper body today, it was leg day for me putting in 25 miles on my bicycle. I miss running, but it was so sunny and breezy today that I felt a lot more like a kid out there than a fifty-some-odd woman trying to keep my muscles from wasting away.

Oh, and even though I am "None of the Above" on your list, I was able to catch part of the match....

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:52 AM

Another sultry day here, and while my tiny enemy in the form of a very sore toe is preventing me from running, I did get the bike out for another 25 miles or so. Our community has added nearly thirty miles of trails in the last few years, all paid for from the damages from the BP oil spill a few years ago.

Being on my bike, I had the rare opportunity to take my phone to capture a few photos en route. The last shows the paved pedestrian/cycling trails. Because they are designed for light traffic (no motorized vehicles permitted), the asphalt provides a very soft running surface compared to roads and sidewalks. Those lakes are loaded with alligators, btw.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Great photos Surfermom... I don't know whether it's my netbook, but photos on the forum always look better in 'Portrait' rather than 'Landscape'...So these days I always take them in 'Landscape' for me, and an extra one in 'Portrait' for the forum.

That track through the trees looks perfect for running, but it's a pity about the Alligators in the lake, otherwise you could swim across the lake and run back...
I suppose you still could if you wanted to improve your speedwork in the water and try to outswim them.....

I wonder if you are the same as me. I always time my runs and make sure that the distance is correct, never stopping to look round, gossip or take photographs. Serious stuff running... But whenever I'm injured and take to the bike, it's an altogether leisurely experience, I like to know how far I've gone, but think nothing to stopping for a mars bar or drink and the occasional photo.....

Page 168 of 370 « First < 68 118 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 218 268 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top