Join for free
Page 92 of 370 « First < 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Blimey Surfermom, 24.4 degrees C..? I'd be running in my Budgie Smugglers in those temperatures.....

Although the thermometer was showing 2 C this morning the ground temperature must have been a lot colder than that because the roads were so slippy and shining with ice. Footpaths were the best place to run, at least the ice had not been compacted and I managed to find some traction. Once out in the country there were no footpaths and in places I resembled a scene from Bambi with arms flailing and legs slipping in all directions.

Despite the odd audition for the Bambi Sequel I did have a pretty good run with no problems with my lower back - I have introduced some situps to my daily exercise routine in an attempt to strengthen core muscles - so although the time was embarrassing, when you factor in the time I spent running on the spot I suppose I shouldn't moan...

I know what you mean about the weight Surfermom, being an engineer I have long since realised that moving a load requires more energy as the weight is increased, even by small increments. I had a practical example when I became a postman. Half marathon times were on a downhill spiral that I attributed to the advancing years. Within six months of running round neighbourhoods with sacks of miscellaneous mail items, I soon lost half a stone and ten minutes off my half marathon times.....Who says you can't reverse ageing?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:44 AM

Bob, you're a credit to this forum with your exercise stamina. Sit-ups, half marathons and running on ice, it's very commendable bud. Keep at it

Ditto Surfermom. Your weather is enviously warmer than our gloomy climes, but nothing seems to stop you catching the waves or tramping those dusty backroads. Good on you too!

It's early days back on the training front for me, but I believe my new programme will see me embracing those weights again and regaining some decent fitness once more. True, it's touch and go with the leg work pending the knee situ, but there's no reason why I can't push my upper body again - carefully and progressively though.

Today I'll be carrying on with a 'pull' workout as mentioned in my last review. Back, biceps, lats etc with three sets of basic weight, followed by a revised leg effort. I've amended the weight a little from Monday's session as it all went very well. In fact I feel much more refreshed since my return.

Back this afternoon with the write-up.
Regards☺
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:02 PM

The second part of my new routine features the ‘pull’ exercises, which in my case now consist mostly on retaining my arm strength along with putting the back muscles into play too of course. As with Monday’s ‘push’ session, it’s two sets of average reps followed by a third near-failure set. To follow are the leg exercises which will always be of a moderate weight with a slight increase.

A dilemma I faced was whether to leave the weight the same and increase the reps, or vice-versa – lower reps but add more weight each time. With the leg sessions it will be mainly higher reps I’ll be going for, unless those reps get silly big, in which case I’ll add a little weight instead. I’ll also be cutting the upper body work down to two sets instead of three from next time and make them both ‘failure sets’ instead of ‘going through the motions’ with three almost identical sets. This will see me get some size back on my upper body, increasing the strength as I go along. Although strength isn’t my parameter anymore, I do need to maintain a sustainable amount of muscle, so everything in sensible moderation. Here’s today’s workout:

Wednesday 20/12/17

PULL

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
20x35
20x35
25x35

Lat pulldown, underarm close grip:
15x40
15x40
20x40

Bicep machine curls, alternate:
15x25
15x25
18x25

Seated DB hammer curl, alt:
6x14
6x14
8x14

E-Z bar preacher curl:
15x23
15x23
16x23

Barbell forearm reverse curl:
12x10
12x10
15x10

LEGS (previous session in brackets)

Incline press:
40x150 (up 15 reps from last time)

Horizontal Sled press:
30x140 (+5)

Calf press:
25x120 (+5)

Ham curls, seated:
30x40 (+5)

Good girls:
30x50 (+5, +5kg)

Bad girls:
30x50 (+5, +5kg)

Ab crunch:
25x45

Time: 45 mins.

Ni issues with the knees. On the contrary I think this routine is actually helping to strengthen the muscle around them as yesterday I was almost pain-free for the first time in ages.

All the upper body work was really easy today and I’m looking forward to adding weight next time going to failure on most sets. As long as I can restore my physique to a standard which satisfies me without going over the top and injuring myself further, I’ll be happy with that.

Other stuff
Not sure about tomorrow, pending Christmas plans etc, but if not it will be Friday for the first of my revised sessions which will see heavier work on the chest, shoulders and triceps.

Right, time to9 look in at my 'Do You Exercise' thread. See what's been happening...

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Nice workout Floydy, it made me sweat just reading it, and thanks for the compliment.
Glad to hear your knee is feeling better, sometimes joints need gentle stretching to assist in their recovery.

With most of my targets being met for this year it's time to take my foot off the gas and just look for enjoyment now on my remaining runs. I was surprised to see the sub zero temperatures abate today with the mercury reaching a heady 12 degrees C but an incredible 99% humidity. Providing this warm spell continues it looks like it might be a decent run in the morning, albeit later on when it finally gets light on the shortest day...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Nice workout Floydy, it made me sweat just reading it, and thanks for the compliment.
Glad to hear your knee is feeling better, sometimes joints need gentle stretching to assist in their recovery.

With most of my targets being met for this year it's time to take my foot off the gas and just look for enjoyment now on my remaining runs. I was surprised to see the sub zero temperatures abate today with the mercury reaching a heady 12 degrees C but an incredible 99% humidity. Providing this warm spell continues it looks like it might be a decent run in the morning, albeit later on when it finally gets light on the shortest day...
Thanks Bob.
The knee is touch and go, to be honest. Last night it was aching like mad again. Plenty of stretches before and after exercise seem to help, so I must remember to keep those in my sessions.
I've been looking at my programme and revising it daily ready for the next gym outing. A little more weight will be added to the legs and I'll be increasing the upper body work to return to where I left off before the knee problems. Although they have nothing to do with upper body work - time for me to just 'man up' I think!

How did today's run go?

*See that we've had no takers from my 'Do You Exercise' thread in here yet. Shame on them!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-12-2017, 08:54 PM

Hi Floydy, looks like it's just you and me again tonight. The ladies are coming up to their busiest time of year so I guess Surfermom will have plenty to do, I'm sure she'll catch up when she can.........Meanwhile.......

It was just past seven thirty as I stepped out into the mild morning air, such a surprise and I could have done with wearing less cold weather clothing. A drop of rain about half way round but it didn't turn to anything serious. A bit of a struggle on the last mile, and passing the school didn't help with a long line of vehicles parked all the way down a narrow footpath. It was a case of dice with death by stepping on to the busy road or staying on the footpath with car doors suddenly flung open without due respect of passing pedestrians or runners....Arrived home intact and it was a decent run....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Hi Floydy, looks like it's just you and me again tonight. The ladies are coming up to their busiest time of year so I guess Surfermom will have plenty to do, I'm sure she'll catch up when she can.........Meanwhile.......

It was just past seven thirty as I stepped out into the mild morning air, such a surprise and I could have done with wearing less cold weather clothing. A drop of rain about half way round but it didn't turn to anything serious. A bit of a struggle on the last mile, and passing the school didn't help with a long line of vehicles parked all the way down a narrow footpath. It was a case of dice with death by stepping on to the busy road or staying on the footpath with car doors suddenly flung open without due respect of passing pedestrians or runners....Arrived home intact and it was a decent run....
Oh the school run sect are like people possessed aren't they? I'm part of that scene now though I'm afraid; I do my chore twice a week at 3.15pm to pick up my granddaughter and the main problem is trying to park. I completely understand your hassle at trying to negotiate those verge-residing cars. That would annoy the hell out of me too! Pleased you had a good run though bud

I keep getting visions of a Santa-clad Surfermom with a big sack on her back riding those Florida waves. What an image that would be...I shouldn't be giving here ideas!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-12-2017, 11:13 AM

I beat the school run this morning Floydy with a fast unscheduled three miler. I ran so fast there were times when my legs couldn't keep up and I nearly stumbled. I must point out that the word 'fast' is relative....What I term as 'Fast' these days, other runners would consider quite pedestrian.

I don't know about putting ideas in Surfermom's head Floydy, it's a picture I would like to see myself........
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 06:37 AM

I have been busy indeed, but never to busy to check in and squeeze in a run here and there! Between ideas of OGF running in budgie smugglers (I had to Google that, by the way), and Floydy intent on me becoming a female surfing Santa, this thread is providing nothing if not a solid source of entertaining fitness ideas....

I know you must be thrilled to have the time to get back into a steady routine, Floydy, when you are not otherwise competing with the the school moms for prime parking spaces. It's a disappointment to hear that your knee pain returned after some exercise suggested you might be getting some relief, but I think you are on the right track to build up your knee muscles. Two studies I read lately support the fact that knee muscle development can prevent overall knee wear and tear and reduce the incidence of arthritis particularly in runners. Whether your knee issues are due to wear or injury, strength around those critical joints sounds like a reasonable plan if you go easy. I just hope you can get on with a diagnosis and treatment before it's time to start a new year.

OGF, that was some pace you maintained today, and having read it before I set out on my own run, I treated it like a challenge - so thank you! I ran four miles at a hearty pace and felt quite accomplished afterwards. With temperatures nose-diving, I will probably make a rare appearance at the gym tomorrow which will allow for a good cardio and weight outing. I plan to go all out and run eight miles knowing that Christmas Eve and Christmas demands will have me in the kitchen instead of in my running shoes.

Is there anything sporting wise you wish Santa would leave under the tree?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-12-2017, 11:53 AM

I'm glad that my report of a faster pace encouraged you to 'Put Some In' on your training run Surfermom. However, today was a different story. Nothing wrong with the run, or the conditions (A heady 10 degrees C) and dry roads throughout, even the lower back muscles seem to be benefiting from the twice daily sit-ups, but I can't explain why it was my second slowest eight mile run of 2017.....

Something sporting under the tree for Christmas Surfermom?????

Liz McColgan.....

Page 92 of 370 « First < 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top