Join for free
Page 328 of 1676 « First < 228 278 318 326 327 328 329 330 338 378 428 828 1328 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Every time the brother and me were on the bus and we spotted a bald head we would sing this song. we were little devils, older folks would remember the words.

'I see the moon, the moon sees me
The moon sees somebody I want to see
God bless the moon and God bless me
And God bless the somebody I want to see'
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Sorry to hear you are constipated Gummy, I thought you were a regular shite... boom boom boom!
Old one but still useable in this case.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Umm....if I may quickly intercede,chaps?
Before the invention of the telescope in the early 1600’s, man just knew of the Moon—a round, [it was,at the time,unrealised that the Moon was spherical] mysterious
astronomical object that people would gaze at in the night sky. As time progressed however,astronomers realised that having a moon isn’t a feature unique to planet Earth and that other planets had moons too. So exactly what is a moon? A moon is defined to be a celestial body that makes an orbit around a planet,including all eight major planets, dwarf planets,some minor planets. A moon may also be referred to as a natural satellite,although to differentiate it from other astronomical bodies orbiting another body, e.g. a planet orbiting a star, the term 'moon' is used exclusively to refer to a planet’s natural satellite. The first moons to be discovered other than our own moon,were the Galilean moons of Jupiter,named after astronomer and discoverer Galileo Galilei. The moons Io,Europa,Ganymede and Callisto are Jupiter’s largest and were the first four to be discovered-to date,a further 59 moons orbiting Jupiter have been discovered,making 63 so far known. Other than the four Galilean moons,Saturn’s moon Titan and Neptune’s moon Triton,are comparable in size to the Earth’s Moon. In fact, these seven moons are the largest natural satellites in the solar system,measuring more than 2600 miles in diameter. Only the two innermost planets Mercury and Venus have no moons. Well...that we know of to date,anyway...
An interesting fact about some of the solar system’s largest moons is that several of them are geologically active. Although Earth's Moon has no tendencies to spew lava or display any evidence of tectonic activity,Jupiter’s Io and Europa,Saturn’s Titan and Enceladus,plus Neptune’s Triton,have been observed to be volcanically active. Although the 'moon count' of the Solar System had a grand total of just one in ancient times,that number has ballooned to 336 as of today,with 168 moons orbiting the six major planets. The rest are moons of dwarf planets,asteroids moons,or natural satellites of Trans-Neptunian objects. As more discoveries are made,astronomers find it more difficult to put a defining line on what can/can’t be classified as a 'moon'. I.e;is it correct to call a 10-inch rock that’s orbiting Jupiter in stable orbit,a moon? If yes,then there could potentially be millions of moons as yet undiscovered within our Solar System alone. If no,then where does one draw the line? Size? Mass? Orbital stability? The size and stability of what can officially be designated as 'a moon' is still undecided scientifically,so other than the simple definition of it being 'a natural satellite of a planet', there really is,as of yet,no clear cut answer to the question, 'What is a moon?'. [and gummy dropping his strides doesn't count....m'kay?]
well that certainly was a load of bollocks and shite at the same time - sorry ladies but it had to be said!
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Gosh Pug, you have put your polymath head on today, that is for certain.

My dad was a lifetime reader of the DAILY MIRROR,within it's pages resided a cartoon strip THE PERISHERS, leader WELLINGTON Hs gang were what we now calll FERAL

To cut a long story short WELLINGTON was fascinated by the moon & famously questioned the validity of the MOON IN JUNE connvincing his gang that historically this phrase should read THE BLOP IN MOPSEMBER

more later
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Our Moon is special, it has a flag on it, Gummies is also special, he has a Right Cheek, yes, just a Right One!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well that certainly was a load of bollocks and shite at the same time - sorry ladies but it had to be said!
THANK you,poppet! FINALLY,my true worth is given recognition!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Well said Pug! That piece about the moon was very informative, when you want things explained there's no better man. The following is an indirect compliment for all the help you've given to those who asked for it, a kind of thank you.

When problems hurt your head, and the roaches swarm your bed
When your at your wits end and the cat still has to be fed
When the weeds are knee high and the garden has to be dug
Just ask Pug.

When the wife runs off with a sailor and you owe money to your tailor
When the youngest has broken his arm and the debtors are threatening harm
When your hair is falling out and you've got an empty jug
Just ask Pug.

When the roof is leaking and the door is squeaking
When two and two make three and your bitten by a flea
When your horse came last and you need a good hug
Just ask Pug.

PS. The hug is reserved Gummy, he's a helpful fellow but he ain't no geisha girl.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Thanks,Jem. I had no intent to cause unrest in the ranks-nor did it cross my feeble mind to 'piss off' anyone. It was merely my mind roaming and roving,as per. The subject of moons had fleetingly come up-I just thought perhaps the astronomically scientific viewpoint regarding them may be of interest to a forum that covers many topics in its outlooks... SO-firstly,I apologise to Mr G for the ire caused him by my inadvertent ramblings.
Secondly-I do think you'd all be much more at peace if I were merely to observe rather than participate. it was brought to my attention a few pages ago that apparently the general consensus was I had flounced. Not so-backing off isn't my way. Never has been,never will be. However,my contributions will greatly decrease from this point,that you chaps can have fun without the annoyance of a certain gonk interrupting the flow of hilarity. Be good,chaps. [and any chappettes still in attendance,natch]
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Pug, don't change!

Your posts are always worth reading.
Robert Jnr.
UK

22-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Thanks,Jem. I had no intent to cause unrest in the ranks-nor did it cross my feeble mind to 'piss off' anyone. It was merely my mind roaming and roving,as per. The subject of moons had fleetingly come up-I just thought perhaps the astronomically scientific viewpoint regarding them may be of interest to a forum that covers many topics in its outlooks... SO-firstly,I apologise to Mr G for the ire caused him by my inadvertent ramblings.
Secondly-I do think you'd all be much more at peace if I were merely to observe rather than participate. it was brought to my attention a few pages ago that apparently the general consensus was I had flounced. Not so-backing off isn't my way. Never has been,never will be. However,my contributions will greatly decrease from this point,that you chaps can have fun without the annoyance of a certain gonk interrupting the flow of hilarity. Be good,chaps. [and any chappettes still in attendance,natch]

phooey..we're all odddddddddddd.

Page 328 of 1676 « First < 228 278 318 326 327 328 329 330 338 378 428 828 1328 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top