Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Loft conversion

For those of you that are interested in such things, I am currently converting the loft of our bungalow into another room, for hobbies mainly but it will double up as a spare bedroom if needed.

I'm doing most of the structural work myself, and although it's quite a shock to the system after being retired for a few years the sense of achievement is still as satisfying as it ever was and helps to dull the aches and pains that the physical work creates.

Below are a few progress shots of the project, the first stage of which was to re-tile the whole building (using professional tilers) and the formation of a dormer window to the front...

Before we started...

The front of the roof stripped and new supporting timbers going in...

The side walls fixed and the roof timbers being fixed....

New felt and laths fixed to roof and the window frame fitted into the dormer...

Roof ready for tiles and the dormer ready for cladding...

Front of the roof completed and watertight...

That's where we are up to at the moment, I'm taking a couple of days off now to rest before the electrician arrives next week to change some existing wiring and first fix the new room.

I will add more pics of the inside conversion in a couple of weeks when I have made more progress...
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Re: Loft conversion

Looking good Barry , where will the stairs lead from the Hallway or lounge ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Very impressive Barry, but watch yourself up that scaffolding. Good planning that you have got the roof on before the bad weather. You have the sort of roof that lends itself well to a loft conversion and the extra space it gives must be well worth the effort I am sure. Will you need to take up much space downstairs for the staircase?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:55 PM

It's looking good Barry. Like it.
So many people inadvertently ruin true bungalows by sticking dormers in and ruining the character.

Dormer rooms/attic rooms are great with their slopes and joists, not to mention a few hobbit sized doors for access to extra storage under the eaves.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Looking good!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:09 PM

I've always thought of all the wasted space we have in our lofts and how much they open up a house and space available.

Did you have much trouble getting the required angle on staircase?
I had to use paddle stairs on mine.

Looking good.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Looks a lovely job Barry, quite a lot to tackle though .
I hope you manage to avoid making too much mess of your lovely garden
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Many thanks for your comments. Luckily our hallway widens off to double width halfway along, which lent itself perfectly to allow a proper staircase to access the loft. It was a real squeeze though to manage to keep the minimum headroom, what with the roof only being 35 deg. and the stairs rising at 40, it all works on paper but the reality is yet to be seen...... fingers crossed eh...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Hi

A really good looking job Barry.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Very impressive Barry, I don't blame you for having a couple of days rest now .... you've certainly earned it!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top