Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Re: George Gently

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Vera? not keen on the new series at all - will have to stick to my boxed set of the original Ann Cleeves with the lovely Joe...

I didn't even know there was a former Vera!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=ruthio;650823]I didn't even know there was a former Vera![/QUOTE

The other series, mostly written by Ann Cleeves, had Vera with a different DS and also seemed to be based more in the countryside and Vera had a drink in her hand quite often.

Very different now - been changed and seems based more in Newcastle - just can't imagine Vera Stanhope in a city at all! She's had a bit of a makeover, too.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=cranberry;650832]
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I didn't even know there was a former Vera![/QUOTE

The other series, mostly written by Ann Cleeves, had Vera with a different DS and also seemed to be based more in the countryside and Vera had a drink in her hand quite often.

Very different now - been changed and seems based more in Newcastle - just can't imagine Vera Stanhope in a city at all! She's had a bit of a makeover, too.
Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood you.

Yes I loved the previous series with Joe, but he had to move on I suppose.
You're right though, isn't she wearing a little make up now? Less frumpy?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Yes, make up and hair tidier - it's just not Vera!

Going back to George Gently I have tried the books but they really are very dated so I'll stick with series, I reckon.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 11:11 AM

My OH is adicted to this & any murder mystery/police drama. I don't like them personally. He was watching it last night.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Hands off my man!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 10:41 AM

We enjoy this and nice to see the actor from the zoo is quite good in this too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 01:51 AM

Er ..... excuse me ladies, but I bagsed Martin Shaw years ago when he was the Doyle half of Body & Doyle from The Professionals, so hands off!

Seriously, I never watched George Gently until a couple of weeks ago when it was shown on BBC iPlayer and, because I had a pretty bad accident at home two months ago, I've been in enforced idleness, so I looked up some stuff on You Tube and found the first series of Insp George Gently, Vera, Morse, and some other programmes I never watched until now.

All are excellent, as only British Police crime drama can be and, although the uploads aren't great, at least I can while away my time until I can go back to work - but I'm hooked on them all now.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:55 AM

Sorry to hear of your accident, Mollie. Hope you are well on the mend now. But every cloud, eh? You get to spend all that time with Martin Shaw
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:05 AM

I like Gently too but my OH doesn't think that even back then the off-sider would have got away with the way he speaks to his boss and to people in general. It doesn't worry me and I still enjoy it but I tend to think he's right. Sometimes even the best actors have to do as they are told by directors.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top