Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 08:18 AM

Re: The Archers (radio four)

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We don't seem to have a corner for Radio - so I am putting this in here - don't mind at all if it has to be moved.

Is anyone following this? Just wondered if it was safe to listen again - was so sick of hopeless Helen, her virago of a mother in law and her mind controlling hubby that I stopped listening months ago.

While appreciating that psychological abuse can be every bit as damaging as physical abuse - they dragged this story line on and on and on ad nauseam.
I have listened to the Archers since the first episode when I was a year old.

The story has dragged on rather, but I am glad Helen was found not guilty of attempting to murder her evil controlling spouse. The story has done a lot of good highlighting this problem, and women's refuges have benefitted by the donations they have been given.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Thank you - does that mean the revolting Rob is deceased - might just tune in again today - could do with a laugh !
No, far from it, he is taking a job in the vicinity, so plenty more to come I'm afraid!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 09:16 AM

I listen to radio4 most of the time when I am in the kitchen but have never really got into The Archers. I love the theme tune though and always sing along.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 08:45 AM

After all that - I was carried away with making cards and forgot to tune in.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 08:54 AM

I stopped listening a whole back really sad story I think it was tony died and I cried, I always listened at work and thought it wasn't a good look weeping as I worked, so I turned over to LBC and never tuned in again.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I stopped listening a whole back really sad story I think it was tony died and I cried, I always listened at work and thought it wasn't a good look weeping as I worked, so I turned over to LBC and never tuned in again.

Tony is still very much alive.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Must have been someone else if was a great shock no one saw it coming I seem to recall.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:16 AM

We don't seem to have a corner for Radio - so I am putting this in here - don't mind at all if it has to be moved.

Is anyone following this? Just wondered if it was safe to listen again - was so sick of hopeless Helen, her virago of a mother in law and her mind controlling hubby that I stopped listening months ago.

While appreciating that psychological abuse can be every bit as damaging as physical abuse - they dragged this story line on and on and on ad nauseam.
I think the story line of Helen and Rob has been very successful in raising public awareness to domestic abuse in the form of 'coercive control' which can be as damaging as physical violence.

If only just one person sitting at home in isolation was prompted to seek help or to get help for someone after hearing the programme, the weeks of squirming with unease at Robs behaviour will have been worth it.
The programme has also helped to raise £135,000 for an abuse charity and I understand the helplines have been very busy.

It could be argued that 'entertainment' programmes should not be used for the purposes of raising awareness but what better way than a radio serial is there to reach those isolated from the world by abuse.
The Archers has always been used to raise awareness often on farming issues, the only difference this time is the subject matter.

I have followed the story line with great interest, it was a 'textbook' case of coercive control and I couldn't wait to see how the story would be resolved. I think there was a legitimate reason for dragging it out, this kind of abuse is slow and insidious and can't be condenced into a few weeks.

In the story Helen has returned to her parents farm and has both children with her .

Rob has been granted parental rights to see baby Jack his biological son for a few hours a week under supervision.He is not allowed to see Henry who is not his biological son and who was subject to the coercive control experienced by his mother.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 11:34 AM

I'm still coming to terms with Grace being killed in the fire. Scarred for life!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Me too ... LBC
Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Tony's son died ... think it was something to do with a tracor ?

That certainly had me in floods of tears
Thankfully I was self employed and working here alone ... phew

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top