Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Re: Cyclist says it was victims fault

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Our roads aren't geared to bikes and if cyclists don't do a training course they may not be aware of what a danger they pose both to themselves and others.
Or that others pose to them I suppose. I'm not sure that training courses would do any good. A bad cyclist might pass a training course or test but once done, go out cycle any old way.

The same happens with drivers who do take lessons and have to pass a test. It doesn't make them good or safe drivers once that's done.

Being a good law-abiding cyclist and/or motorist is in the personality, not in the ability to pass a test.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm both a cyclist and a car driver. To me, they are both the same and need to obey road traffic regulations equally. I occasionally drive in central London and I have to say the behaviour of London cyclists is appalling. They view red lights as optional, think nothing of riding down the left hand side of a huge lorry, then scream and shout when the lorry turns left (even when it was clearly signalling when they undertook it). They are rude and boorish with a sense of entitlement which even makes Old Etonians seem self-effacing. I am constantly amazed that even more cyclists are not killed /maimed on the roads. Car drivers are not perfect by a long long way, but my fellow cyclists often fill me with shame.

They are often very important people at work and act the same way on the roads. You see all the politicos cycling and going through reds and they are running the country.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Or that others pose to them I suppose. I'm not sure that training courses would do any good. A bad cyclist might pass a training course or test but once done, go out cycle any old way.

The same happens with drivers who do take lessons and have to pass a test. It doesn't make them good or safe drivers once that's done.

Being a good law-abiding cyclist and/or motorist is in the personality, not in the ability to pass a test.
Not if they were licensed and insured. At the moment there are no consequences of poor cycling etiquette. We have financial and legal consequences for poor drivers. That does keep people in line, otherwise we would be like one of those countries where people are all driving into each other and running into pedestrians. Having said that I do think that people coming from countries with less stringent regulations should have to pass a test before driving here.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:37 AM

I don't think I'd feel very safe riding a bike on the roads . We have some cycle lanes here but riding on the road would be very scarey . I'll walk and catch the bus . I'm a driver and am cautious when behind or overtaking cyclists , I try to anticipate their moves . Some don't signal and some just about raise a hand when turning right .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:40 AM

It seems to me that the responsible cyclists also drive cars and therefore understand the rules of the road whereas bad drivers don't cycle.

Would you agree?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Here in NL everyone cycles , children are born with wheels and pedals...
But the idiots make it a daily struggle for everyone they ride without lights, signals, brakes, they are busy using mobiles, while reading books, chatting to whoever is next to them and at night there are the drunks on bikes who make everything 10 times worse.

Cycle lanes help prevent too many accidents but even then pile ups do happen.
The problem is not motorists or cyclists or pedestrians its arrogant thoughtless Im alright jack types who just assume that the whole world is theirs to do as they wish and spare no thought for anyone else.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It seems to me that the responsible cyclists also drive cars and therefore understand the rules of the road whereas bad drivers don't cycle.

Would you agree?
Not really my husbands a great driver, very courteous, and cycles again very courteous.

It's more about personalities IMO if you are a self entitled fool you won't become a courteous driver or cyclist just by getting in a car or on a bike.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Would you agree?
Yes, I think that helps. It works the other way round too. I ride a bike when possible but when driving the car, I am more considerate to cyclists because I know how it feels to be overtaken too closely. Also about the discomfort of having to use more or less the gutter where there are potholes, crumbling road surfaces and drain holes.

However, I try to be considerate to other road users no matter what means of transport either of us are using. I think this might come naturally. No training necessary.

I dunno, all this talk about cyclist hate and I never seem to come across it or even witness it around here. I expect we're all hoping that we don't ever come across each other out on the roads.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Whatever the rights and wrongs of cyclists in general, this particular very young man comes across as a nasty piece of shit.
His arrogance is breathtaking, I hope it's a disguise for real fear and shame.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Where I live, if I observed the rule of leaving 1.5m when overtaking a cyclist, I would end up in a ditch.
Yes, I think that's just impracticable advice. It's just not possible in many places. I'm happy with about half of that distance. Just so long as it's not close enough to knock my handlebar mirror.

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top