Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Jordan

This is worrying ! I only hope it's not another situation that could get out of hand .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44345136
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 03:59 AM

Re: Jordan

I think the problem is puddle duck everyone is getting sick and tired of hearing stories about the ME as well as those Muslims who are now safely in European countries! - I once had a lovely book [which one always loses] about happier days in Jordan - it was a lovely love story between a European girl and a local Jordanian lad - quite delightful. Sorry can't remember the title. A colleague of mine once borrowed it and I feared she would never return it - but back it finally came only to be lost again. But as I look at my much smaller book collection these days and never read them again I wonder who will ever bother to read them at all?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
This is worrying ! I only hope it's not another situation that could get out of hand .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44345136
And this is supposed to bother me?
Well only if our inept government almost predictably takes it upon themselves to bail them out with my money
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I think the problem is puddle duck everyone is getting sick and tired of hearing stories about the ME as well as those Muslims who are now safely in European countries! - I once had a lovely book [which one always loses] about happier days in Jordan - it was a lovely love story between a European girl and a local Jordanian lad - quite delightful. Sorry can't remember the title. A colleague of mine once borrowed it and I feared she would never return it - but back it finally came only to be lost again. But as I look at my much smaller book collection these days and never read them again I wonder who will ever bother to read them at all?
I lived in Jordan for over three years .
I loved it it is a dramatic country the people are courteous the sense of history immense .The royal family are very well liked .
I have a good friend who is married to a Jordanian we used to ride across the desert on lovely Arab horses together .
We would stop at Arab tents and drink tea -the Arabs are very hospitable for these occasions we weren't treated as sort of honorary men - you know those English women like to charge about on horses !
The present kings mother is English and is very popular with the Jordanians .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 02:50 PM

There have so far been 7 nights of protests, and there is a new Prime Minister trying to resolve the situation by withdrawing the controversial tax bill.

The reason I found it worrying is near enough the very same reasons. People dissatisfaction blown out of proportion and instigated by outside influences (i.e. protests under the pretence of drought and food shortages), is how the Syrian civil war started . Jordan borders Syria .

The Middle East affects us all in this day and age, whether we like it or not. More instability could be a very precarious situation and drag us (UK) in further. Particularly as the UK and Jordan have a very close ,strong relationship.

Jordan has always been a respected country , so far as I know, and I would hate the wrong elements to infiltrate and cause an upsurge to the relative peace they have seemingly enjoyed for years.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Good news. Hopefully it will be resolved PD.
http://www.france24.com/en/20180607-...-bill-protests
Jordan's new Prime Minister is dropping the controversial proposed new tax law. And you're right ... it was how the Syrian Civil War initially started before it got entrenched and enmeshed in Western politics and Isis.

Best to stick to the salient facts instead of irrelevant romantic sojourns galloping across the desert more reminiscent of the film set of Lawrence of Arabia.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Those who can do others are just full of unpleasantness and envy -and it shows .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Good news. Hopefully it will be resolved PD.
http://www.france24.com/en/20180607-...-bill-protests
Jordan's new Prime Minister is dropping the controversial proposed new tax law. And you're right ... it was how the Syrian Civil War initially started before it got entrenched and enmeshed in Western politics and Isis.

Best to stick to the salient facts instead of irrelevant romantic sojourns galloping across the desert more reminiscent of the film set of Lawrence of Arabia.
I beg your pardon!!! - just because you never fell in love with a Omar Shariff!!!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:40 PM

The same thing happened once before when they withdrew fuel subsidies and then as now they resolved it by backing down. They avoid revolutions and madness by listening to public feeling. It has all the good qualities of the Middle East, hospitality, kindness and generosity towards fellow human beings. Their tourist industry generates a lot of income and they will do whatever they can to protect it because they are not oil rich.

It's a very laid back place but outside tourist areas it's also very controlled by army and police. When I was there they would regularly check vehicles every so many miles and you had to have an explanation for what you were doing and where you were going, including ID. So it's not easy for chaos to kick off nationwide.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2018, 10:44 PM

Things must have changed a lot .
Probaby due to the influx of refugees
I always found the Police extremely courteous ( to me ) they did stop me for speeding but very politely !
I traveled a lot in Jordan up and down the Kings highway and through the back ways as we lived out in the desert for a year or two before moving to Amman .
I have never seen the army other than on manuevres or a tings as the royal guards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top