Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Earthy smell in kitchen

Some help please. I put up a thread a while ago about an earthy smell every now and again in the kitchen, can't find it now though.

Anyway, I seem to remember replies thought maybe the washing machine was leaking. But I couldn't find anything to do with the washer leaking, ie no wet floor or anything.

This w/end I realised where it might be coming from.... I think it's when I empty the sink. Checked in the cupboard underneath - no sign of any leakage anywhere in there, but there was a whiff of damp earth smell after I'd emptied the sink. The units either side to the sink don't smell.

The waste pipe obviously goes outside. That looks ok on the outside, and points down straight into the drain. No sign of wet brickwork around it.

Any ideas please? Do I need a plumber to check under the floorboards? It's oak boarding, similar to laminate ie clicking it into place. Bit worried if it has to come up.

If whoever needs to go under the floor, there's a small hatch in the hallway, quite a way from the kitchen sink...

Any replies welcome
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Re: Earthy smell in kitchen

Pesta this may be way off mark but a thought. I had a damp earthy smell each morning i looked everywhere like you . Then I starting thinking about my fridge , it's got a sort of dip at the back to catch water and the water drips into a little well thing at the back which I can't see or reach ( it's called an anti bacterial fridge ) . I guessed this well could be full and water dripping onto the floor at back of cupboard . So I put a wad of kitchen roll at back of fridge and hey ho it must have dried out as smell has gone . I keep a wad of kitchen roll at back of fridge now to collect the water and wring it out each day . Sorry if this sounds like gobble de gouk and I hope you sort your smell out too .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Some help please. I put up a thread a while ago about an earthy smell every now and again in the kitchen, can't find it now though.

Anyway, I seem to remember replies thought maybe the washing machine was leaking. But I couldn't find anything to do with the washer leaking, ie no wet floor or anything.

This w/end I realised where it might be coming from.... I think it's when I empty the sink. Checked in the cupboard underneath - no sign of any leakage anywhere in there, but there was a whiff of damp earth smell after I'd emptied the sink. The units either side to the sink don't smell.

The waste pipe obviously goes outside. That looks ok on the outside, and points down straight into the drain. No sign of wet brickwork around it.

Any ideas please? Do I need a plumber to check under the floorboards? It's oak boarding, similar to laminate ie clicking it into place. Bit worried if it has to come up.

If whoever needs to go under the floor, there's a small hatch in the hallway, quite a way from the kitchen sink...

Any replies welcome
just relax and enjoy the earthy smells - seems good to me! we come from the earth and return to the earth!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Pesta this may be way off mark but a thought. I had a damp earthy smell each morning i looked everywhere like you . Then I starting thinking about my fridge , it's got a sort of dip at the back to catch water and the water drips into a little well thing at the back which I can't see or reach ( it's called an anti bacterial fridge ) . I guessed this well could be full and water dripping onto the floor at back of cupboard . So I put a wad of kitchen roll at back of fridge and hey ho it must have dried out as smell has gone . I keep a wad of kitchen roll at back of fridge now to collect the water and wring it out each day . Sorry if this sounds like gobble de gouk and I hope you sort your smell out too .
Don't be sorry susan, I'm glad you related your damp smell

Well done for finding yours
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
just relax and enjoy the earthy smells - seems good to me! We come from the earth and return to the earth!:-d

And, in between the earth moves on occasions
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:55 PM

I would get a second opinion the next time you're aware of the smell. Are you able to remove the U Trap under your sink? Often they can get a bit whiffy if not checked. Not really an earth smell usually but worth checking out.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:04 PM

And, in between the earth moves on occasions
oh YES I do like it when the earth moves - I am usually lying on it then!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I would get a second opinion the next time you're aware of the smell. Are you able to remove the U Trap under your sink? Often they can get a bit whiffy if not checked. Not really an earth smell usually but worth checking out.

I agree with EZ, Pesta. Might be all it is.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Hi EZ - the smell is there every day and I only narrowed it down today (I think).

No I couldn't remove the U Trap. There's so many fittings leading into the UBend. And, even if there wasn't I couldn't physically do anything.

These are the times one wishes for a man about the house.

Edite to add, it's definitely an earthy smell that whiffs around.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:13 PM

Hi EZ - the smell is there every day and I only narrowed it down today (I think).

No I couldn't remove the U Trap. There's so many fittings leading into the UBend. And, even if there wasn't I couldn't physically do anything.

These are the times one wishes for a man about the house.

Edite to add, it's definitely an earthy smell that whiffs around.

I know exactly what you mean there.
It can be very frustrating at times when we can't sort out something we need to do, or just need another pair of hands to help with something.

Maybe you ought to get a plumber to have a look do you think?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top