Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Oassing out after eating

I don't know what's going on. Every time I have a decent sized meal, I start getting more and more tired, I can barely keep my eyes open and then, the next thing I know I've woken up sitting on the couch 1 1/2 hours later.

I talked with my doctor about it and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Anyone else experience this ? Or know what it means ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Re: Oassing out after eating

Eat less.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:49 PM

I have no idea what could be causing this, but I do think a doctor shrugging his shoulders, is likely to be little help!

Many people can fall asleep after a large meal and I know USA portions are quite large, so can I suggest you try having smaller meals...... you can always have a small snack if you feel hungry later!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Every time I have a decent sized meal, I start getting more and more tired, I can barely keep my eyes open and then, the next thing I know I've woken up sitting on the couch 1 1/2 hours later.

Anyone else experience this ? Or know what it means ?

All the time .....

I assume it's part of the aging process .....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Definitely part of aging

I can time mr missy to the minute that he will be asleep after his dinner

I solve it by being active after eating, straight away getting up and putting the kitchen straight then finding other little jobs to do, but I usually succumb to heavy eyes once I sit down after Sunday dinner
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:31 PM

I don't know what's going on. Every time I have a decent sized meal, I start getting more and more tired, I can barely keep my eyes open and then, the next thing I know I've woken up sitting on the couch 1 1/2 hours later.

It's called "postprandial hypotension"

Affects many who are diabetic and/or older people.

"Postprandial hypotension occurs when carbohydrates and proteins in food trigger the release of a gut hormone, which causes the peripheral arteries to dilate, thus stealing blood from the heart and the brain. People with this condition have a higher risk of death than those without it.

Diagnosing the condition is easy. Doctors can compare blood pressure readings before a meal and one hour after eating. A fall of 10 points or more indicates the problem.

Treating the problem also is relatively simple. You can eat smaller meals that contain fewer carbohydrates. If this doesn't work, you can increase the amount of fibre in your diet to slow stomach emptying."

Que'll surprise ! But he'll be first in line to give you a flu vaccine come winter. More reasons to do your own research rather than simply rely on the medical industry.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:35 PM

I find that drinking a glass of water before a meal prevents me from becoming too tired after eating.

This condition used to affect me too, although since I've been ill I'm prone to wanting to go to bed at any time, really.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's called "postprandial hypotension"

Affects many who are diabetic and/or older people.

"Postprandial hypotension occurs when carbohydrates and proteins in food trigger the release of a gut hormone, which causes the peripheral arteries to dilate, thus stealing blood from the heart and the brain. People with this condition have a higher risk of death than those without it.

Diagnosing the condition is easy. Doctors can compare blood pressure readings before a meal and one hour after eating. A fall of 10 points or more indicates the problem.

Treating the problem also is relatively simple. You can eat smaller meals that contain fewer carbohydrates. If this doesn't work, you can increase the amount of fibre in your diet to slow stomach emptying."

Que'll surprise ! But he'll be first in line to give you a flu vaccine come winter. More reasons to do your own research rather than simply rely on the medical industry.
Some people have to rely on the medical industry. I'd be dead now if I didn't.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Some people have to rely on the medical industry. I'd be dead now if I didn't.
Doesn't stop you doing your own research. Everyone should imho.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:26 PM

I used to feel like that till last year when I made some lifestyle changes.
Now I eat small meals of healthy food and I don't get that feeling anymore .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top