Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Re: District nurses

First Twwinks ,I would not have gone out if I had known the nurse was coming,when one came on Sunday I was told it would be a week before anyone else came back,therefore I was surprised to have a visit on Tuesday,but he couldnt say when the next visit would be and when I rang the switchboard to ask they said they didnt know.I dont mind going to a clinic/Drs surgery as long as I have transport as I cant walk very well.I know the D.Ns are very busy but I have several other health problems and need to go to hospital /clinics for important treatment for these,This week coming I have 3 important appts.on consecutive days,A lung function test Wed,at my Drs/,Cancer clinic Thursday [ Ive not been for 3 months due to my breathing problems] / and to have my warfarin check on Friday at another clinic,I cancelled my one last Friday thinking the nurse would come.So how do I cope with these important appts. if I musnt go out.Can anyone offer advice please, rather than blaming me for going out?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Contact your GP surgery and ask for them to arrange transport so you can get the dressings changed at the surgery. That way at least you don't have to sit in. When my mum had to use the service they told her when they were coming. They must be in a real shambles where you live if they can't even tell you when they will next visit.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 05:46 AM

Sorry deylon, I hadn't realized that your district nurse wasn't making specific appointments! It is just common decency to tell patients what day they will arrive.

I suggest that you contact the office, that controls your district nurses, ( usually your GP) and point out to them that if they do not give a specific day of arrival, and stick to it, then they are wasting NHS money as many of their patients will have other medical appointments so not be at home when they call. Just turning up, when they can find the time, is not making their patients care a priority.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Again [Monday ] no nurse came. I rang the office in the morning & was told I was down for a visit,I rang again about 3pm,,still told someone would come the nurses worked till 5.30pm,another phone call to the office at 5pm,.I said the bandage was coming off ,if a nurse didnt come Id have to re bandage it myself, "On no , musnt do that ,someone would come by 8'30pm, "a message would be sent to the nurseS".I cant speak to a nurse ,its always a receptionist who says they will' send a message to the the nurses 'I have now partially rewound the bandage on my leg & hope they will cme tomorrow.I have asked for a telephone conversation with my own GP, & I will mention this problem to her.Once before the district nurse didnt come when my ulcer was oozing through the dressing, my Gp arranged for the practice nurse to come in
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Again [Monday ] no nurse came. I rang the office in the morning & was told I was down for a visit,I rang again about 3pm,,still told someone would come the nurses worked till 5.30pm,another phone call to the office at 5pm,.I said the bandage was coming off ,if a nurse didnt come Id have to re bandage it myself, "On no , musnt do that ,someone would come by 8'30pm, "a message would be sent to the nurseS".I cant speak to a nurse ,its always a receptionist who says they will' send a message to the the nurses 'I have now partially rewound the bandage on my leg & hope they will cme tomorrow.I have asked for a telephone conversation with my own GP, & I will mention this problem to her.Once before the district nurse didnt come when my ulcer was oozing through the dressing, my Gp arranged for the practice nurse to come in

And so they should! I appreciate that District Nurses are overworked but, if they can't keep appointments, they should advise the patient and make sure that the care they need is given by somebody else.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 09:15 AM

My mum was a district nurse and I think they were better organised in those days with more funding. She used to drive her little red mini which came with the job everywhere
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England

10-07-2018, 09:17 PM

Seems I might have got somewhere yesterday as about 9am today I had a phone call from a pleasant sounding woman,to say she was from the district nurses & someone would definitely be with me today,mid morning 2 nurses came ,unwrapped my bandage & asked me if my leg had been bandaged because of the swelling,I said I didnt know, no one had told me anything,my leg was wrinkled where bandage had rubbed & ulcer was a bit runny again,so the nurses just put a dressing on & a very light stretchy stocking, my legs feel much more comfortable now, but when I asked when someone will come back they said possibly Sunday, its obvious they didnt have a clue,I will see how things go over the w/end & ring again if I have to,but I can change the stocking myself & probably the dressing if I need to.At least I can have a shower now LOL
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Seems I might have got somewhere yesterday as about 9am today I had a phone call from a pleasant sounding woman,to say she was from the district nurses & someone would definitely be with me today,mid morning 2 nurses came ,unwrapped my bandage & asked me if my leg had been bandaged because of the swelling,I said I didnt know, no one had told me anything,my leg was wrinkled where bandage had rubbed & ulcer was a bit runny again,so the nurses just put a dressing on & a very light stretchy stocking, my legs feel much more comfortable now, but when I asked when someone will come back they said possibly Sunday, its obvious they didnt have a clue,I will see how things go over the w/end & ring again if I have to,but I can change the stocking myself & probably the dressing if I need to.At least I can have a shower now LOL
So glad to hear someone finally came Deylon. x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 12:22 AM

I used to have a problem with my Mum's district nurses too.

Mum used to forget what they were telling her, so I needed to be there with her, but they would never say when they were coming, even though they knew I didn't live with Mum so had to drive over to meet with them.

Even the GP surgery they came from told me the D.N's were "a law unto themselves."
By God I had some rows with one in particular, very unpleasant woman, and impossible to please!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:36 AM

looks like they've got the market cornered??

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top