Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 04:39 PM

Re: David Davis resigns?

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sorry JBR, but if you think, that all the disruption from people who wanted to remain, won't damage our ability to get new trade agreements, I think you are kidding yourself.

I want to leave as much as anybody but I am not blind so notice that the disruption from both sides, leave or remain, will have slowed down our chances of doing well..... because our government look like idiots!

It was never going to be a definite Leave or Remain, it was a way of getting out with the least possible damage! MPs on both sides have done nothing to help us do this, so it will be harder!!
It is indeed our politicians. Isn't it always?

The simple consideration is that, having had a referendum in which the majority voted OUT, there should have been no argument.

Had the whole country accepted that democratic decision, that should have been it. Pull together.

If May thinks she can obtain trade deals with the EU, that would be a bonus, but it should never be compromised by surrendering any part of our freedom and sovereignty to the EU.

She won't anyway! The EU 'negotiators' will never allow it.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Unfortunately Art we have upset a number by our arrogance in insisting on technical rectification.

These are existing trading partners we have deals with as part of the EU and some have even gone as far as making formal complaints to the WTO.

This not how things are done and there is a considerable amount of distrust now.

Surely, all the arrogance comes from the EU, in the way they conduct their negotiations and veto every proposal put to them stop. As for offending existing trading partners I can't recall seeing much about it in the news. If indeed it is important enough to become a problem I'm sure that it can be resolved by negotiation between willing participants. Unlike the negotiations with the EU which seem to be, one willing participant and one recalcitrant.

Why on earth we (by we I mean the talking heads on TV and in the media) must keep highlighting all the negatives of the situation instead of grasping some of the positives and the opportunities that Brexit presents is beyond me.

After the last election and with Mrs May in power I was one of the few who supported her on here against some of the criticisms put forward by posters, one of whom was you Swim. Now I have to admit you had a point, I think she's retained her Remain credentials and is unable to negotiate a deal that benefits all because she's too inclined to give way. She is all too ready to compromise.

Although this breakup is just as bad for the EU they out bluffed her and she blinked first. She has allowed Olly Robins to undermine David Davies over the last few months and in fact he has been sidelined. This deal is a deal that suits the civil servants and not the country.
However, this deal has a long way to go before its accepted, if indeed it ever will be. For those of us who see a more positive future for the UK out of Europe let's hope that between Europe, Parliament and the Brexitear rebels this deal is put where it belongs, in the garbage bin.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Although this breakup is just as bad for the EU they out bluffed her and she blinked first. She has allowed Olly Robins to undermine David Davies over the last few months and in fact he has been sidelined. This deal is a deal that suits the civil servants and not the country.
However, this deal has a long way to go before its accepted, if indeed it ever will be. For those of us who see a more positive future for the UK out of Europe let's hope that between Europe, Parliament and the Brexitear rebels this deal is put where it belongs, in the garbage bin.
True, and I have the distinct feeling that this 'deal' will not be struck for several reasons.

It could be kicked out by Parliament.
Remainer May might possibly realise it is doing her and her party no good.
She might even be replaced by the members of her party.
The EU are more than likely to refuse it; after all, they have refused everything else!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Hi

With respect to the Free Trade Deals we have as part of the EU, there are more than 40.

The EU agreed our original plan of Technical Rectification, they did not work against us.

It has caused problems, the following relates to agricultural imports.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...it-trade-plans

There are many other issues.

I am afraid that in these instances the problems are down to Liam Fox dictating to Trade partners, not the EU, WTO or anyone else.

We are also not going to be able to take advantage of the new EU Trade Deals with Canada, Japan and South Korea, huge markets, which we will now have to negotiate from scratch.

There is an awful lot of nonsense talked about the EU and it's restrictions, I don't have an issue with many of them, we just go over the top in adopting them.

My issues with the EU, and my voting to leave, are far more deep seated.

I do not want to be part of an integrated Federal Unit with more and more power concentrated with the Bureaucrats, which was the way it was going.

I do not want to be part of any organisation where one person, in this instance Merkel, can unilaterally open up the borders and put us all at risk.

I used to be a man in a suit, so I know just how devious, power mad and self centred they can be.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

With respect to the Free Trade Deals we have as part of the EU, there are more than 40.

The EU agreed our original plan of Technical Rectification, they did not work against us.
It has caused problems, the following relates to agricultural imports.

Although I don't agree with you I was referring more to their arrogant attitude toward us in negotiating.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...it-trade-plans

There are many other issues.

I am afraid that in these instances the problems are down to Liam Fox dictating to Trade partners, not the EU, WTO or anyone else.

We are also not going to be able to take advantage of the new EU Trade Deals with Canada, Japan and South Korea, huge markets, which we will now have to negotiate from scratch.
Some things are better negotiated from scratch

There is an awful lot of nonsense talked about the EU and it's restrictions, I don't have an issue with many of them, we just go over the top in adopting them.

You must have an issue with some of them though by your own admission. Is it the ones that only affect you? Not altogether true we go over the top. we obey them, others ignore them

My issues with the EU, and my voting to leave, are far more deep seated.

I do not want to be part of an integrated Federal Unit with more and more power concentrated with the Bureaucrats, which was the way it was going.

I do not want to be part of any organisation where one person, in this instance Merkel, can unilaterally open up the borders and put us all at risk.

Might it be rather that you issues are with a certain Mrs May?

I used to be a man in a suit, so I know just how devious, power mad and self centred they can be.
So did I, close on 30 years, and in negotiating sales so I too know a bit about the gentle art of negotiating. I know enough to not accept the first offer. or in this case non offer. I also know when to walk away and in the case of this deal it is now.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top