Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Re: Is It So Wrong Not To Attend A Sister's Funeral?

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Still your sister, personally I'd sit at the back away from everyone else and then depart quietly once its over.
Isn't it just blindly following "societies rules"? I don't have a suit anyway (but that is a by the by)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Still your sister, personally I'd sit at the back away from everyone else and then depart quietly once its over.
I would do the same. At least that way you may not feel too guilty you haven't paid at least some respects to your sister, and you can slope off incognito.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

15-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Only really you can decide whether to go or not.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Err, NO! No bitterness AT ALL. She's just much older. I was about 5 when she married. I had little to do with them. Particularly from the age of 21.

I don't know if it's a "protestant" thing but we never made much about "family". I don't think I ever met a grandparent for example.

Just your use of ‘them’ makes me feel uncomfortable!

So it’s a case of ‘them’ and ‘us’ ? Doesn’t ‘blood’ count for anything?

Just go to your sister’s funeral, she’s your blood.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:30 PM

You don't need a suit just go.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:33 PM

My sister didn't go to my older sisters funeral, it was disgraceful and terribly upsetting for my nieces and nephews and my father. All because she made a sober, conscious decision to drink alcohol on that very important day and got too drunk to attend. Selfish, nothing else. But then again, what is worse, her not attending or turning up pissed out of her brains. The family were disgusted with her behaviour. We were all upset and could have turned to alcohol but that day was not the time to do that. She has to live with her conscience.

Getting back to you, the right thing to do I feel would be to attend but of course that is your decision and yours alone.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Just your use of ‘them’ makes me feel uncomfortable!

So it’s a case of ‘them’ and ‘us’ ? Doesn’t ‘blood’ count for anything?

Just go to your sister’s funeral, she’s your blood.
What is it about a perfectly good pronoun in "them" that sets people off so much.

Is it a form of illness?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Even if you've not seen her for 30 years (and little before that as she was so much older) and that was probably at a funeral and you have no contact or liking for her "kids" who wanted her dead anyway for her "inheritance"? .

You don't say whether this funeral is forthcoming, or if it has been and gone and you never attended, and now you are thinking about it?
If you have never had contact for 30 years, were you told about her passing, or did you read it somewhere?

When my ex-husband died, I only knew because a friend told me it was in their local paper. I didn't go.

As others have said, many families become estranged, and unless somebody makes the effort to make the first move, that's how things stay forever.

If you feel you may have even a small regret for not going, then there's your answer - Go.
Duty and respect still matter.

But at the end of the day, only you know how you feel.
Gravitas
North England

15-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My sister didn't go to my older sisters funeral, it was disgraceful and terribly upsetting for my nieces and nephews and my father. All because she made a sober, conscious decision to drink alcohol on that very important day and got too drunk to attend. Selfish, nothing else. But then again, what is worse, her not attending or turning up pissed out of her brains. The family were disgusted with her behaviour. We were all upset and could have turned to alcohol but that day was not the time to do that. She has to live with her conscience.

Getting back to you, the right thing to do I feel would be to attend but of course that is your decision and yours alone.
Maybe your sister was grieving and needed a drink. Show a bit of compassion.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:40 PM

What is it about a perfectly good pronoun in "them" that sets people off so much.

Is it a form of illness?
An illness? Yep, if you say so!

Actually, I have changed my mind. No, don’t go to the funeral. Why would she want such a cold fish there?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top