Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Re: Hosepipe Ban

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have a hosepipe, I cant fit one on my garden tap so my watering is done with buckets and a watering can, time-consuming but good exercise.

I am concerned about the farm animals, there is no grass in the parched fields just brown stubble.

We were saying on another thread somewhere about this Meg.
I hope they got the hay and silage made early this year, else there won't be any winter feed.
They won't be getting a second cut that's for sure.

I bet dairy prices will go up, because they will say because there is no grass so cattle had to have 'bought-in' feed all year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We were saying on another thread somewhere about this Meg.
I hope they got the hay and silage made early this year, else there won't be any winter feed.
They won't be getting a second cut that's for sure.

I bet dairy prices will go up, because they will say because there is no grass so cattle had to have 'bought-in' feed all year.
Mups the hay is in but dusty and not particularly of good quality, the grass was late getting started because of the cold spring. The farmers are going to have to start feeding the stock if it doesn't rain soon.
I would think milk yields will be down too with no good grass.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Our hose pipe ban has just been lifted

Lasted two weeks

We have rain due again tonight and maybe into tomorrow

Our farmers are getting the 2nd cut in right now. Theres no height to the grass but its turning to seed so they have no option

They ran out of feed this winter having to keep the cows in till May, beef is going to go sky high
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Our hose pipe ban has just been lifted

Lasted two weeks

We have rain due again tonight and maybe into tomorrow

That's good news.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups the hay is in but dusty and not particularly of good quality, the grass was late getting started because of the cold spring. The farmers are going to have to start feeding the stock if it doesn't rain soon.
I would think milk yields will be down too with no good grass.

Then they will have to start feeding the winter rations early no doubt, which will put dairy and possibly meat prices up.

I reckon cattle, sheep are going to cost a lot more to keep this year.
Can't see it affecting poultry and pigs so much though.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2018, 02:39 AM

Strange ban - was/is it a total ban? or was it just a partial ban on hose pipe use?

Even during the Millennium ten year drought when Sydney dam levels shrank to 25% there was never a total hose pipe ban.

Hoses had to be fitted with a trigger nozzle, car washing using a hose was out and time of use was restricted. An unfortunate side effect of that was that Sydney water had to reduce the water pressure because it was over 1000kpa at the time and when the flow was turned off at the nozzle the hose blew apart.

One thing the reduced water pressure has done is increase the sale of pressure washers.

Some of the restrictions from that drought remain even now:
  • watering is allowed before 10 am and after 4 pm on any day - to avoid the heat of the day
  • all hoses must have a trigger nozzle
  • no hosing of hard surfaces, such as paths and driveways, but washing vehicles is allowed
  • fire hoses may only be used for fire-fighting activities.

I doubt they ever enforce these bans now but during that drought there were Sydney Water inspectors scouring the streets looking for offenders.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top