Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Patient Transfer and NHS Bureaucracy.

Hi

In between posting on here this morning, I have spent ages on the phone.

I have a NHS appointment on Friday morning, I cannot drive there and most certainly cannot drive back, they make that explicitly clear.

The Hospital is many miles away, and no Public Transport.

I am entitled to Patient Transfer, used it many times before, over 20 times , NHS Rules, not mine, they will not let me drive after treatment and currently not allowed to drive to the appointment.

Rang up to arrange, the number has changed.

The new number is rattled off at high speed by a very softly spoken person, it took five times to get it.

Rang it and got in a queue.

Eventually answered, what is your NHS Number?

No idea, gave my name and address, DoB etc, the usual details they require.

Sorry, we can no longer search on those details, we need your NHS Number.

Rattled it off, embedded in my brain.

Nope, that is an old number, we need your new one.

Hunted around, found a letter, rang them back with the new number.

Not accepted for Patient Transfer, in spite of the fact that the appointment specifically said I would need Patient Transfer.

More hassle and phone calls.

Turns out that I have two NHS Numbers, a complete cock up by them.

I am intelligent, articulate and persistent.

I have unlimited calls on my phone.

I really do worry about those who simply cannot afford the phone calls and who miss out on essential treatment.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Re: Patient Transfer and NHS Bureaucracy.

My hospital reference number (not my NHS number) I have committed to memory and can quote it 'off the top of my head' if asked to do so.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
My hospital reference number (not my NHS number) I have committed to memory and can quote it 'off the top of my head' if asked to do so.
I must have one but don't know it. It doesn't seem to be on any of the letters I get from the NHS.

Yes, I pity people who live 40 or more miles from hospital and don't drive, particularly with the number of times a procedure has been cancelled (at least in my case), and I wasn't informed until I got there.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:06 PM

I also had problems re transport.I had an appt.last Tuesday,as I am unable to get there via public transport I asked for hospital transport & was given a number to ring,but as I had not had transport with them before they wouldnt give it to me & I was told to contact my G.P. ,they wanted to see the appt. letter but I said "I cant get to the surgery which is why Im asking for transport & no, there is no one else able to bring it round "they promised to 'get back to me ',but no one did,so I rang again, "someone will get back to me"This time ,being fair, someone did ring back ,to say transport was arranged for 9.30 am [ my appt.was not till 10.45 am & hospital not far away,so I arrived very early,then had to wait over an hour to come home.But better than hanging around for public transport .I need to go to another Hospital on the 30th,so hope I will be able to get transport there

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top