Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Re: Builders Excuses!

Lynne, tonight I've watched Watchdog on BBC on catch-up and there's a very interesting story about roofers. I'd strongly advise you to watch if you haven't already done so. It's all about re-bedding roof tiles, pointing etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2012, 10:37 PM

I have got to the stage where I panic at the thought of having any builders in the house. The last three lots have been a disaster

I did have a plumber called Tony last year who I found through 'Which Local' (you have to join the consumer association to get access to the list ) and he was excellent .
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Tell the roofer that you're "upset and scared" (that you'll never see him again).

I hope he's got a lot of space for his Micro Pig, they can & do grow HUGE.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Age Concern can access the "Good Trader Scheme" on your behalf. I have only just found out about it myself but I will certainly be contacting them when the need arises. It will cut out the worry of dodgy tradesmen and cowboys who seem to abound and who prey on older people.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Age Concern can access the "Good Trader Scheme" on your behalf. I have only just found out about it myself but I will certainly be contacting them when the need arises. It will cut out the worry of dodgy tradesmen and cowboys who seem to abound and who prey on older people.
My local Age Concern in Malvern produce a booklet called 'The Local Traders Directory' it can be obtained by telephoning them and requesting a copy. I don't know if it is the same in other areas.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
I am getting P*** off with tradesmen lately. You would think they would be glad of all the work they could get at the moment.
No matter how bad you think it is you should try getting someone to do building and rennovation work anywhere in Eastern Europe, they are all cowboys, they turn up to give a quote in rusty old vans with red bonnets and blue doors, they tell you they will have to use your ladders (and often many other of your tools) they never turn up on time to do the job and always leave before it's complete, never clear up after themselves or take any rubbish away, and the materials they use are always c**p

So if you think you've got problems in UK just spare a thought for those of us living in the bad lands
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Lynne, tonight I've watched Watchdog on BBC on catch-up and there's a very interesting story about roofers. I'd strongly advise you to watch if you haven't already done so. It's all about re-bedding roof tiles, pointing etc.
Thanks Mollie. I'll look out for it on catch up
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Well the Roofer eventually came today He was supposed to be coming on Saturday - but didnt He phoned yesterday & said his wife had bought him a ticket for the Liverpool v Fulham football match as a surprise & he didnt get back home till late on Sunday.

He has eventually done a good job though. Our house is sort of an L shape with the kitchen & back bedroom joined on to next door so they had to have theirs done as well on that bit. Hubby asked the Roofer to break the bill down (the main part & the outrigger) so we could show it to next door & they paid half of the outrigger price So a bit cheaper for us
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Confused Lynne, there are no ridges on an outrigger. Do you mean you each have a 1/2 gable with a shared ridge?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 12:04 AM

I can sympathise with you Lynn. We are currently in the process of having the original part of the house retiled, floors that is. Two bedrooms, bathroom, very large kitchen/dining room and the covered in veranda.

We have two Bulgarian men doing the job, the reason we had them is because they have completely gutted and refitted the inside of a house a couple of plots away from us. We sort of supervised as the owner is in UK. Well they did a really fantastic job, so we asked them to do our floors. First day they were coming at 10 a.m., they arrived at 12 noon. Give them their due they work none stop when they are here and they are doing an excellent job. However they never turn up at the time they say they will, which is really annoying, today they didn't turn up at all but they did phone around 2 p.m. to say they wouldn't be coming as one of them had to go to hospital. In the meantime we are having to eat out every night as we can't get to the kitchen area, no doubt we will be eating out again tomorrow if they get the tiles down in the kitchen area because we won't be able to walk on them. Two bedrooms are completed but now kitchen stuff is piled in them. Then when they do the veranda I'm hoping they'll do half at a time otherwise we will be marooned in the lounge unable to get out at all

I've given up trying to clean because the dust from the tiles they cut is everywhere, the dogs are unhappy because they are confined in the new part of the house and can't run around everywhere, they can't play outside in case the gate gets left open as the tilers are in and out for various reasons. I will be oh so glad when it's all finished and then will come the marathon clean.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top