Join for free
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 03:10 AM

Health Care System in Britain?

Hello, being from Ontario Canada, I have no idea what your health care system is like there.

For e.g. do you have to pay to see the doctor, is there a doctor shortage there & if you have to have surgery, is it free like here? Just curious, thanks
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 07:33 AM

Re: Health Care System in Britain?

Originally Posted by zoolady100 ->
Hello, being from Ontario Canada, I have no idea what your health care system is like there.

For e.g. do you have to pay to see the doctor, is there a doctor shortage there & if you have to have surgery, is it free like here? Just curious, thanks

Yes darlin' - its free - free at the point of need. No we don't have to pay to see our doctor (General Practitioner - GP) and yes any additional requirement like a hospital stay and surgery is also free.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by zoolady100 ->

Ssshh, the British government doesn't like us knowing we're not the only country in the world with 'free' healthcare
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

21-07-2013, 12:54 AM

O---kayyy
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 01:57 AM

We can choose to go private too which often gets certain procedures done a lot faster.. usually by the same surgeons that do nhs work too!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 04:04 AM

No, not all of Canada has free health care, only Ontario. The rest of Canada do have to pay, at least that's what our friend Pixie from Ontario has told us, and that's why she and her husbnd chose to go and live there 30+ years ago when they moved from England.

If you recall, she had to have a serious heart operation and she didn't have to pay when they implanted her with a mechanical piece of equipment which saved her life.

She's doing great, by the way.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Ssshh, the British government doesn't like us knowing we're not the only country in the world with 'free' healthcare
Australia has a 'free' medical system though it is a mixture of free and part insured. There is a 1.5% medicare levy run by the tax system but if you earn more than a certain amount ($84000 for singles, $168000 for families) then there is a 1% surcharge if you do not have medical insurance.

My doctor 'bulk bills' so a visit costs me nothing and all my operations have been free. I used to be insured when I was working but now don't bother.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No, not all of Canada has free health care, only Ontario. The rest of Canada do have to pay, at least that's what our friend Pixie from Ontario has told us,
I have a friend who lives in Alberta and she has to have medical insurance - I thought maybe this was a new thing that had happened recently over there.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top