Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
zoe
New Member!
pa. usa
zoe is female 

06-09-2013, 12:05 AM

kidney cysts

Joined this site a few days ago. I have only posted on the introduction thread. Well, I just found out I have a "few small cysts" on my kidney. I am getting a ultra sound next week and will then see a urologist. I am scared out of my mind,
Has anyone heard of this or have had any? I am scaring myself reading about it on the internet. Thank you for any insight. zoe
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Re: kidney cysts

I believe they are pretty common. The fact that they have called them "cysts" is a good thing. A cyst by definition is a fluid filled sac. They are not solid masses... which pretty much rules out tumors.. The Ultra sound should tell them more.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Decades ago a family friend had cysts on her kidneys ... no great problem.

Don't remember what the treatment was then but there have been amazing advances in medicine
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by zoe ->
Joined this site a few days ago. I have only posted on the introduction thread. Well, I just found out I have a "few small cysts" on my kidney. I am getting a ultra sound next week and will then see a urologist. I am scared out of my mind,
Has anyone heard of this or have had any? I am scaring myself reading about it on the internet. Thank you for any insight. zoe
Don't be too scared - and stop reading the internet - it will send you mad! I have had cysts on both kidneys for years. Didn't even know they were there until they showed up when I was being Xrayed for something entirely different. My GP sends me for checks now then - just to see if they are still there and have not changed significantly. They don't seem to do anything sinister - they are just there, so he is quite happy to leave them alone. Lots of people have them without ever knowing - I think they can be an hereditary thing.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 12:38 PM

I know I have a cyst on something... can't remember if it's a kidney or my spleen. They found it while doing a CT scan for my IBS. It was just a brief mention in the report, along with my one gallstone that has so far not caused a problem.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Some people are prone to cysts, they will probably keep an eye on them with checks now and then, so keep calm, wont do you any good at all to be stressed .......
AudreyII
USA

06-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Cysts are usually asymptomatic. If they get big, they will cause discomfort and will have to be treated.. Usually surgically. For the most part.. if they don't hurt you.. they will just monitor them.
zoe
New Member!
pa. usa
zoe is female 

06-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I know that the internet has my head spinning, I did stop reading as it was making me sick with fear.
They were found when I had a cat scan for something else. I do have some dull ache on my waist and back though the report said they were small.
I guess I will have to wait until next week for the US and then for however long it takes them to give me the results.
My problem is I worry too much, this is going to be a long few weeks for me.
Again, thanks for helping to put my mind at rest. zoe
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by zoe ->

My problem is I worry too much, this is going to be a long few weeks for me.
Again, thanks for helping to put my mind at rest. zoe
Another dreadful worrier here too.
A few years ago I had a problem which needed investigation.
The initial panic (medical phobia) was relived by some medication my GP prescribed and I sailed through the tests and eventual day surgery ~ no problems.
So it's worth asking your GP to prescribe something
AudreyII
USA

06-09-2013, 01:54 PM

That's true... Not to mention that there is the Da Vinci surgical system available now.. It's robotic surgery.. and it's very minimally invasive. I had both ovaries removed 3 years ago using Da Vinci.. It was nearly pain free and I was only off work 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top