Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: I am tired

Maybe I'm a bit late with advice here but I discovered that our Co-enzyme Q10 levels are not at sufficient levels to counteract the increase in free radicals as we get older.

Co-enzyme Q10 is a compound that is present in all cells and occurs naturally in the body and it is found in the highest amounts in the mitochondria, the part of the cell where energy is created.

When I went on my present Statins my doctor agreed with me that as Statins inhibit natural levels of Co-enzyme Q10 too so I started taking them as and when I think I'm getting a bit low.

For me, as I'm 62 and still working, it now seems that I get overly tired after about 5 days so I just take cheap-and-cheerful 30mg tablets for a couple of days and I'm fine.
I personally don't believe that you really need to take the quantities that some do - and some of them are very expensive so I get mine in Wilkinsons or Savers - about £1.99 for 30 tablets and they'll last me about three months.

I'd ask a Doctor first though as it might not necessarily be so simple.

I'm just saying what actually works for me. stevmk2
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust
Young Simmo is male  Young Simmo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Actually I think I am starting to narrow down the possibilities with regard to my personal problems with being tired.
2 years and 2 months ago I buggered my back while stretching to make the double bed in our holiday caravan, (Bed against the wall, YUK).
Anyway after driving from Carnarvon to Adelaide, ( must be about 3000 Kms) in pain I went and saw a very understanding Chinese lady doctor. She gave me 30 Mg Oxy Contin, then 40 Mg then finally 50 Mg. Aghhhh some pain relief at last. That was 2 years and 2 months ago and I am still on 30 Mg, 3 times per day. I now think that my tiredness comes from a lack of Oxy Contin as they make me feel fabulous about 40 to 50 minutes after taking them.
My doctor tried everything to get me off them.
I said, listen I am 74, have lived 31 years longer than my father and all I want is some quality of life for what I have left. I must have got through to him as he is the only Dr that will prescribe my Oxy Contin every month. When he was trying to talk me out of them I did say, " You are my Doctor and I come to you for pain relief. Are you saying, stiff bickies put up with the pain“.) I think that might have been the straw that broke the camels back.
WOW I am sure I will get some advice after this little rant.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Young Simmo ->
Actually I think I am starting to narrow down the possibilities with regard to my personal problems with being tired.
2 years and 2 months ago I buggered my back while stretching to make the double bed in our holiday caravan, ...I went and saw a very understanding Chinese lady doctor. She gave me 30 Mg Oxy Contin, then 40 Mg then finally 50 Mg. Aghhhh some pain relief at last. [B]That was 2 years and 2 months ago and I am still on 30 Mg, 3 times per day. I now think that my tiredness comes from a lack of Oxy Contin as they make me feel fabulous about 40 to 50 minutes after taking them.My doctor tried everything to get me off them.[B/]
WOW I am sure I will get some advice after this little rant.

OxyContin, like heroin and other opioids, is a central nervous system depressant, you appear dependent on them and no wonder your doctor wants you off them....
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 11:38 PM

The other thing you might consider if you talk to your doctor is B12 deficiency. It's been found recently that older people can be deficient in it as my partner was when he had a blood test.

He had a series of injections and felt much better immediately. Although I don't believe in generally taking added vitamins if you are eating well this particular one is much more likely in the elderly and doctors hadn't known that until some years ago. The main symptoms are fatigue and anaemia. It's worth checking.
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust
Young Simmo is male  Young Simmo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 03:08 AM

Yes Pats, you are correct in so much as I now recognise a bit of dependance. For the last couple of days instead of 3 X 30 mg per day, I am taking 3 X half a Tab per day. It is not helping my burning stinging feet, saw lower back and general Arthritis, but I just want to satisfy myself that I am in control. I believe a week at half a dose then a week at a quarter of a dose should just about get the stuff out of my system. Time will tell.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Yes Pats, you are correct in so much as I now recognise a bit of dependance. For the last couple of days instead of 3 X 30 mg per day, I am taking 3 X half a Tab per day. It is not helping my burning stinging feet, saw lower back and general Arthritis, but I just want to satisfy myself that I am in control. I believe a week at half a dose then a week at a quarter of a dose should just about get the stuff out of my system. Time will tell.
Yes it is important to withdraw from them slowly.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Ah! Over here it's known as oxycodone, and was the very drug given to me in hospital last month after my surgery! I begged them to let me come home with it but because it IS a controlled drug, and had to be signed off by two nurses, they put their foot down. However, I put MY foot down and eventually convinced them my pain warranted it. At the time, UJ was shouting at me to demand oromorph but this drug is related to morphine.

When waiting for a gp appointment to give me more, I had eked out my meagre supply and I was climbing the walls. I sat in the surgery for an hour and half just sobbing in pain. The gp allowed me to have more, for which I was grateful.

It took the pain away beautifully but yes, it zonked me out, and not only gave me a good night's sleep, but also horrendous constipation. However, as soon as the catheter was removed my pain went down dramatically and I no longer needed this pain relief.

Now you tell me you are taking so many, I am in no doubt this is what is causing your drowsiness. You need to reduce them under guidance, so do speak to your gp if you can.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Hi again Simmo. My reply earlier was based on your first post. Now we have found out that you are taking a pain killer it clears some of your post.
It doesn't clear in my mind, why your wife is doing the same sleeping three times a day?
Is she doing it in sympathy for you??
Its a lesson to us all Simmo about taking prescribed drugs. They seem to do us well but at the same time they can make us deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.
My Brother was having a terrible time for a few months and I honestly thought he was on his last legs. It turned out after a blood test he was
totally down on his Potassium caused by some tablets.
He is feeling a lot better now and I can tell he is just by his voice on the phone. He is uplifted and not moaning anymore. So worth checking out.
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust

24-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks everybody for all the quick replies, I didn't expect it to create so much interest.
NOW, to sum up my current situation.
At 74 Years I consider most of my problems to be self inflicted after 45 years of non stop smoking and drinking to excess and not caring about diet and exercise. However I stopped smoking June 2000, currently drink about 20% of what used to be normal.
Now the bit that counts at this time in my life. Started on Oxy-Contin 26 months ago, and my current prescription is 3 X 30mg per day. I am currently on a home made schedule ( I'm a Mechanical fitter, not really a medical qualification). I am taking a half Tablet, 15mg 3 times a day and plan on doing that for 7 or 8 days. Not getting any real pain relief but have reasonably good days and can still feel the lift about 40 to 50 minutes after taking my half tab. The next step will be a quarter tab 7-8 mg 3 times a day.
I know I am really spilling my guts here, but not so much for sympathy as to share information like all you people have done.
WATCH THIS SPACE.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks everybody for all the quick replies, I didn't expect it to create so much interest.
NOW, to sum up my current situation.
At 74 Years I consider most of my problems to be self inflicted after 45 years of non stop smoking and drinking to excess and not caring about diet and exercise. However I stopped smoking June 2000, currently drink about 20% of what used to be normal.
Now the bit that counts at this time in my life. Started on Oxy-Contin 26 months ago, and my current prescription is 3 X 30mg per day. I am currently on a home made schedule ( I'm a Mechanical fitter, not really a medical qualification). I am taking a half Tablet, 15mg 3 times a day and plan on doing that for 7 or 8 days. Not getting any real pain relief but have reasonably good days and can still feel the lift about 40 to 50 minutes after taking my half tab. The next step will be a quarter tab 7-8 mg 3 times a day.
I know I am really spilling my guts here, but not so much for sympathy as to share information like all you people have done.
WATCH THIS SPACE.

Good luck John matey.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top