Join for free
Page 118 of 370 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 218 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

It's not been going to plan......
With the sun shining through the window, and the temperature touching ten degrees C it would have been a perfect morning for an eight mile run. So with my Heart suitably broken I creaked out of bed and contemplated my future......

It was impossible to go out on my walk this morning as the problem with my Piriformis Muscle seems to have escalated with tightness into the lower back that objected to even the slightest movement, it also has radiated down my leg, obviously my sciatic nerve has been compromised.

Not wanting to decline this excellent thread into 'The Foxes moaning and negativity corner' I shall take my leave of it until I have something positive to report. Take care everyone and look after your bodies, you are only issued with one while a resident on this fine planet.......Adios...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Dear Foxy , I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing problem, and can feel the despondency in your writing.

I really don't think you should push your luck though, if you don't mind me saying. You don't want to do irreparable damage do you, and also, if you were taken bad while you were miles away from home you would be in more trouble.

Have you considered seeing a Physio, or a Chiropractor to see if it's any help?
Otherwise, all I can think of is spend some time doing gentle exercises at home for the time being and see how it goes.
Constant pain makes life very miserable, added to the frustration of not being able to do what you love most.

I am sure you will soon be able to carry on again, but I think you need to be sensible for a little while first to aid your recovery. I know you won't give up, but be patient.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:29 PM

Hey Bob, Mups has got this right on the button
I'm very sorry to hear about this latest episode with your recent injury and with this latest setback which hopefully will not branch out even further; sciatica is horrendous, it must be pretty devastating for you not only with the worry about your health but because you can't be doing what you enjoy so much i.e. the running.

I've had injuries and less painful niggles over the years myself with the knee problem restricting me to being so much more careful in what I do not only at the gym but in basic stuff like climbing the stairs. But it eased and hopefully that's what will happen with you mate. I know it's a completely different type of injury but honestly, you need to see a physio and I would urge you to make an appointment with a qualified sports physio rather than the shower of book-fed piece-of-paper one afternoon-qualified people that the NHS throw at us. But you MUST see your GP for initial advice.

Also, don't leave us on our own here, Bob. You're a great bloke and you've been an integral part of this thread from the beginning and me, Surfermom and the growing number of others on here want you to stay. You may think "Well there's nothing to say 'cos I'm injured" but we want you to let us know daily progress reports on your recovery. That will keep us informed, but even more, it will keep you involved and hopefully more positive. You are a fitness stalwart Bob, and I know you will not let this thing beat you. We in the world of keeping fit do not let that happen.

Take care buddy, and please keep us in the picture. Best of luck to you.
Laurie
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Floydy, if our Foxy doesn't post, we will have to knock on his door and drag him out to play. Can't have him sitting there in despair.
Anyway, Mrs. Fox will no doubt be grateful to us too.

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

It was impossible to go out on my walk this morning as the problem with my Piriformis Muscle seems to have escalated with tightness into the lower back that objected to even the slightest movement, it also has radiated down my leg, obviously my sciatic nerve has been compromised.
:
Foxy sounds very much to me like a trapped nerve.
Probably the most helpful person to see would be a Sports Physio.
This is the kind of thing they see all the time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Floydy, if our Foxy doesn't post, we will have to knock on his door and drag him out to play. Can't have him sitting there in despair.
Anyway, Mrs. Fox will no doubt be grateful to us too.

At present I feel for the guy, I really do Mups
I feel like going to Doncaster (is it?), banging on his door and dragging him out for a few beers.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the advice Floydy, Mups and Ruthio. Unfortunately I've been helping a friend move some furniture and then yesterday and today I've been breaking up the unwanted items (A very substantial three piece suite) into bite size bits and taking them to the recycling centre. She was quoted a ridiculous amount to have it taken away so I've done it for nowt....

Problem is.....I don't know whether my back is bad because of my injured piriformis or all the lifting and hard work...haven't worked this hard since I retired.....
The work will be finished tomorrow, and I will rest my back and see how it goes. Life goes on despite a painful back and I refuse to lie down and give in, and I believe that keeping mobile is important. Sometimes running has to take a back seat though....

I will be looking in to this topic occasionally, so no slacking you lot.......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Well, OGF, life rarely does go to plan, and having been in your shoes (which in your case is currently out of your shoes) I know this is a miserable mental as well as a physical setback.

I concur with Floydy and Mups that it is probably time to see professionals. If there is any way you can see a sports physician or physical therapist (what I think you are calling a physio), they will be much more inclined to share your goal of getting you where you want to be - as opposed to putting you off or start suggesting that you live on the sofa .

The glass is always half full, so maybe this could be an opportunity to get things done that have been waiting or are forthcoming. I know you have a cruise coming up, so perhaps you could really get into the history or dive into researching the best excursions. You are an excellent writer, your daughter is getting married...I know there is no shortage of happy aspects of your life that you could focus on while you recover.

It isn't easy to hear about other people getting out there doing what you love when you are sidelined, but you are a central contributor in this section of the forum, and you have become a mentor to me and a great motivator for others. We all have our moans and groans on this thread, and I like to think that we could be a source of support and teaching as you get on with your healing.

That said, you do what you have to do to get past this piriformis/sciatica problem. We just want you happy and well .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2018, 11:14 PM

That's right Surfermom, even if you are not running at the mo, Foxy, you could fill the post of 'Coach' instead for a while.

Just give yourself chance to heal first, and make sure you don't do more damage instead. I hope you feel much better soon. x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 11:43 PM

Bob I hope you'll soon feel better, meanwhile take things easy...

Page 118 of 370 « First < 18 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 168 218 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top