Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Re: Should education be free?

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
At the end of the day, private schools are first and foremost, businesses - in the game to make a profit. That's way they have selection procedures - they don't want any underachievers bringing their pass rates down as it looks bad on the glossy brochures.

This is why they offer a few bursaries to poor but extremely bright children. It makes them appear philanthropic, which they most certainly are not, and raises their exam stats up at the same time.
You know this to be the case do you.

There isn't any selection in Preparatory schools (and they are private schools) of which I am aware (age 8-13). Selection comes with the Common Entrance Exam where a certain standard should be reach to gain a place in Senior school.

ETA if private schools were just 'in the game to make a profit ' they would accept absolutely anyone who can pay.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Possibly some do .
The ones with a good academic reputation will have a entrance requirement .
Others will take those who pay
Not everyone who goes to a private school is academic .
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
You know this to be the case do you.

There isn't any selection in Preparatory schools (and they are private schools) of which I am aware (age 8-13).
Yes I know this to be the case. Children of a number of my relatives have attended private school and also moved from school to school. Two of them aged 9 and 11 certainly did have to sit aptitude tests before being admitted when they changed from one private school to another.

And no, they would not accept "absolutely anyone who can pay" because pupils who are likely to underachieve in the school will ultimately lower that school's profit margin, as their exam results will bring down the average.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:49 PM

That is why bursaries are offered to very academic /sporting /musically talented children to up the ratings .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
There are still a few grammar schools in the UK I have been looking at information on them .
Ie Slough
Where there are four grammar schools
Each school is massively oversubscribed there are 10 applicants for every place.
Its not a simple matter of passing the 11+ there are umpteen other conditions including proximity to the school.
Even a bright child will need a lot of luck to get into these.
Yes, so I believe. There were some more enlightened local authorities who didn't believe in trashing all their grammar schools.

The problem is that there are now so few. When ah wer a lad there were grammar schools coming out of our ears. Every child who passed the 11+ could apply (or their parents could) for their preferred grammar school and every child who passed the exam was assured a place in one.

I remember begging my father to apply for me to go to Carlton Boys' Grammar School where all my friends from junior school were going but, for some reason, he applied for Grange Boys' Grammar School.

Have I said that before? I may have done. My memory isn't too good these days.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
Yes I know this to be the case. Children of a number of my relatives have attended private school and also moved from school to school. Two of them aged 9 and 11 certainly did have to sit aptitude tests before being admitted when they changed from one private school to another.
Maybe they did because they were joining the school at an older age.
And no, they would not accept "absolutely anyone who can pay" because pupils who are likely to underachieve in the school will ultimately lower that school's profit margin, as their exam results will bring down the average.
My 3 grandchildren started in the nursery of a fee paying school progressing to Pre prep, then they will go on to Prep. I don't envisage them having to sit any exams to qualify for progression through the school or being thrown out if they are not too bright. They will sit Common Entrance to Senior school at 13.

My stepsons both went to private schools both Preparatory and Senior , one was not that bright. It is customary for private schools to accept the children of serving forces personnel not turn them away because they are not bright and likely to underachieve.

As for 'profit margins' many private school have charitable status and are non profit making.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 12:02 AM

Should education be free? Yes, because education is a right not a privilege.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
Should education be free? Yes, because education is a right not a privilege.
Hi

Education is not free, it never has been.

It costs money, somebody has to pay for it.

Education until the age of 18 is fine, as are certain further education qualifications of direct benefit to the Country.

However 30 odd year olds who are taking degrees in things which are of no benefit should pay.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 12:50 AM

Fair point, Swimfeeders.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Education is an investment in the future of our society and no financial impediments should be put in the way of anyone wishing to achieve educational success at any level.

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top