Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 12:04 AM

Aching shoulder

For days now I've had an awful ache between my neck and shoulder, a bit towards the back, and no time to see the doc. Pain killers don't touch it. Driving makes it worse and I drive for hours every day (work - unavoidable). Exercising it lightly but no effect. Can't find the hot pack! Maybe one of those creams you rub in?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Re: Aching shoulder

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
For days now I've had an awful ache between my neck and shoulder, a bit towards the back, and no time to see the doc. Pain killers don't touch it. Driving makes it worse and I drive for hours every day (work - unavoidable). Exercising it lightly but no effect. Can't find the hot pack! Maybe one of those creams you rub in?
It sounds as if you should make time to see the doctor. If it is as painful as you suggest you are not safe to drive, imo.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Ouch......that does sound painful Annie..... If you can't get to the doctors maybe a hot water bottle would help ?
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Annie I have arthritis in my spine, neck and most joins so I know it is very painful. I often have to come off the pc but my necks is so sore. I agree painkillers don't always work. Try a heated wheatbag as hot as you can stand it, massage with lavender oil mixed with a base oil. Or Voltoral gel is good to rub in but don't know if it's available in Canada check on the websites. It is very good and does provide some relief. But of course if nothing works then of to the Docs' for you I'm afraid!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Annie when you go to bed roll up a hand towel put it around your neck for support it may help you to sleep better.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2012, 10:35 PM

There we go again, this Forum Azz should be put forward for an MBE or something, whatever you have some-one can give some much needed advice,go to the Top of the Class that woman.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 12:34 AM

Good ideas, thanks. I like the towel rolled under my neck and I did find my wheat bag so I can warm that up tonight. We have something called Voltaren here - will check it out. I realized I've been holding that shoulder higher and tensed up so I'm making the effort to relax it and massage it a bit. Will look for lavender oil too...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Good ideas, thanks. I like the towel rolled under my neck and I did find my wheat bag so I can warm that up tonight. We have something called Voltaren here - will check it out. I realized I've been holding that shoulder higher and tensed up so I'm making the effort to relax it and massage it a bit. Will look for lavender oil too...
Is Voltaren a gel version of Voltarol (Diclofenac) Annie Jack? We have the gel over here (Voltarol Emugell) which is available without prescription, although the Voltarol (Diclofenac) works best when taken orally (tablet form) for me. Works very well and is a NSAID, so don't use it in addition to Ibruprofen or similar. Hope you feel better soon.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

19-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Is Voltaren a gel version of Voltarol (Diclofenac) Annie Jack? We have the gel over here (Voltarol Emugell) which is available without prescription, although the Voltarol (Diclofenac) works best when taken orally (tablet form) for me. Works very well and is a NSAID, so don't use it in addition to Ibruprofen or similar. Hope you feel better soon.
I didn't read the ingredients but I'll check. This is a non-greasy ointment, not quite the consistency of a gel, but it's the strongest we can get without a prescription. I'm doing better. One of these days I hope to get back to the chiropractor...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

26-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LifeAndLifting ->
Annie,

It sounds like there is a good possibility that you have a trigger point which is causing this pain. A trigger point is basically an "angry" muscle that starts to spasm and causes all sorts of pain.

First line of defense would be a good massage therapist. Obviously this isn't always the easiest, or most accessible option.

What I would suggest is taking a ball (baseball, lacrosse ball, tennis ball) and pin the ball between your back and a wall. Use the ball to massage the area that hurts. When you find a particularly painful spot, bear down on it and try to do little "strokes" with the ball until it releases.

If you are unable to get enough pressure using the wall, lay down on the floor and do the same thing.

***Be careful not to go over your spine though, just keep it on the muscles***

Let me know if that helps. I used to have the same problem all the time during my soccer playing days.
[mod edit link removed]

I like this idea - will look for a ball and give it a try. Thanks very much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top