Join for free
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Yankee Candles

This is the second time its happened ,the glass its in exploded onto my carpet and burning it .
The candle was getting low so i had a job to reach the wick with the lighted match stick ,so i dropped it in thinking it would burn out like its done before ,I went out the room only to hear a very loud bang ,and there were shards of very hot glass. Melting my carpet .
As this happened to anyone else?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Re: Yankee Candles

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
This is the second time its happened ,the glass its in exploded onto my carpet and burning it .
The candle was getting low so i had a job to reach the wick with the lighted match stick ,so i dropped it in thinking it would burn out like its done before ,I went out the room only to hear a very loud bang ,and there were shards of very hot glass. Melting my carpet .
As this happened to anyone else?
Don't like these candles at all Eliza - they made the wall black, not for me ..........
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Never had a problem with them myself, sounds like a dodgy batch.I would contact the shop or maker, just thinking what might happen if there are kids about when one goes.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Don't like these candles at all Eliza - they made the wall black, not for me ..........
You are right there Patsy,the inside of the glass went black from the smoke.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

11-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Never had a problem with them myself, sounds like a dodgy batch.I would contact the shop or maker, just thinking what might happen if there are kids about when one goes.
My dog was in the room when it happened and the glass landed very close to her.i might Google to see if anyone else had problems
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Was looking at these candles earlier today, daughter loves having 'em lit around the place - thought I might get one towards her Christmas present, not sure now!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Oh dear. Not the cheapest of candles either. Think I'd be informing the manufacturer.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Oh dear. Not the cheapest of candles either. Think I'd be informing the manufacturer.
They are not cheap, tea lights are fine, will stick with them ...
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

11-10-2014, 06:47 PM

I bought mine last Janurary in the sales a large jar ,it was still expensive ,i always wanted one and they smell .lovely .
I have googled exploding Yankee Candle ,and it appears theres a lot out there that have done this ,
The first one was not a yankee that exploded but it happened. The one that did to day was almost down to the bottom of the jar a Yankee Candle .
I think as they get burnt down low the sides of the glass gets hot and this is when they explode .
I wont be lighting the other one i have ,and i would AVOID any GLASS ones in future ,
Having said that from what ive just read on the net the Yankee Tart Candles were exploding too ,So do your research before you buy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

Yes, I agree with Nom, you need to contact the makers straightaway. That could have been very dangerous if people or pets had been sitting nearby, let alone kids.
I don't use the ones in glass jars, I only use the 'tarts' in the top of burners, and so far (touch wood), I've never had any problems. However, thanks for the warning Eliza.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top