Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Re: Tales from the mid 19th Century

Broadsides were sheets of paper printed on one side only. They were in use from Tudor times up until the close of the nineteenth century. One of their main functions, was to spread the words of popular ballads or songs. These ballads often commented on current events as well as the usual pursuits such as drinking, marriage, sex, murder, transportation and so on. Many of these ballads became the basis of traditional music and are still sung today. The Bonny Black Hare, is a well known ditty and has been recorded by the likes of Martin Carthy and Airport Convention among others.

Bonny Black Hare

One morning in autumn by the dawn of the day
With my gun in good order I straight took my way
To hunt for some game to the woods I did steer
To see if I could find my bonny black hare

I met a young damsel, her eyes black as sloes
Her teeth white as ivory, her cheeks like a rose
Her hair hung in ringlets on her shoulders bare
Sweet maiden, I cried, did you see my black hare

This morning a-hunting I have been all around
But my bonny black hare is not to be found
The maid she then answered and at him did stare
I never yet heard of, or saw, a black hare

I think you are deceitful young maid he did say,
My bonny black hare I was told pass’d this way,
And since you decoy me I vow and declare,
You shall go with me to hunt the black hare

My gun is in good order, my balls are also
And under your smock I was told she did go
So delay me no longer, I cannot stop here
One shot I will fire at your bonny black hare

His gun he then loaded, determined he was
And instantly laid her down on the green grass
His trigger he drew, his balls he put near
And fire one shot at her bonny black hare

Her eyes they did twinkle and smiling did say
How often, dearest sportsman,
do you come this way
There is few in this country can with you compare
So fire once again at my bonny black hare

His gun he reloaded and fired once more
She cried, draw your trigger and never give o’er
Your powder and balls are so sweet I declare
Keep shooting away at my bonny black hare

He said, my dear maiden, my powder is all gone
My gun is out of order, I cannot ram home
But meet me tomorrow, my darling so fair
And I’ll fire once more at your bonny black hare

Ballad from a broadside printed between 1800-50

Fairport's rendition of 19th century smut.

graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 07:02 PM

If the police didn't like the cut of your jib.

THE LIGHT FINGERED FRATERNITY

RIPON COURT HOUSE
. -

On Friday last, before Charles Oxley, Robert Paley, and Thomas Mason, Esqrs., two men calling themselves John Shepherd and William Dimont, were brought from the lock-up, where they had been put during the fair, the day before. The police stated that from their appearance, and the occupation they professed to follow, they suspected them to be of the light-fingered fraternity. Not giving satisfactory accounts of themselves, the officers took charge of them. Dimont was committed for a month, and Shepherd for a week to the
House of Correction.

Yorkshire Gazette 02 December 1848
graculus
Yorkshire

18-10-2016, 05:47 PM

Van Dieman's Land, Tasmania as it now known, was a penal colony in Australia that was the destination for those sentenced to transportation between the 1830s and early 1850s. This ballad, taken from a contemporary broadsheet, laments the fate of poachers sent there and gives a warning to those who would take up such activities.

Van Dieman's Land

Come all you gallant poachers that ramble void of care,
That walk out on moonlight nights with your
dog and your gun,
The lofty hares and pheasants you
have at your command,
Not thinking of your last career upon
Van Dieman’s Land.

Poor Tom Brown from Nottingham, Jack Sinkler and poor Joe,
We are three daring poachers the country does well,
At night we were trepann’d by the keepers in the sand,
Who for fourteen years transported us unto
Van Dieman’s Land.

The first day we landed upon that fatal shore,
The planters they came round us,
full twenty score or more,
They rank’d us up like horses and sold us out of hand,
They yoked us unto ploughs, my boys, to plough
Van Dieman’s Land

Our cottages that we lived in were built of clods of clay,
And rotten straw for bedding and we dare not say nay,
Our cots were fenced with fire,
we slumber when we can,
To drive away wolves and tigers, upon
Van Dieman’s Land

It’s often I when I slumber I have a pleasant dream,
With my sweet girl a sitting by a purling stream,
Through England I’ve been roaming
with her at command,
Now I awaken broken-hearted in Van Dieman’s Land.

So all young gallant poachers give ear unto my song,
It is a bit of good advice although it is not long,
Throw by your dogs and snares, for to you I speak plain,
For if you knew our hardships you’d never do it again.

Ballad from a broadside printed between 1840-66

An interpretation by Shirley Collins & The Albion Band

graculus
Yorkshire

18-10-2016, 05:57 PM

The perils of drinking strong stupefying ale.

THE BELLS OF SHAROW

Last week, serious apprehensions were entertained of a murder having been committed in the vicinity of Ripon, from the circumstance of a man’s clothes being found in a very wet and dirty state under one of the dry arches of the North Bridge. The Police were upon the alert, and report soon stated that human hair, clotted with blood, was found in the cap. Conjecture was lost in conjecture - the police baffled and en faut - yet all agreed that a murder or suicide had been committed. In the midst of this perplexity, the murdered man appeared, and made good his claim to the clothes. The following strange, but correct statement is given from undeniable authority. -

The supposed murdered man resides at Winksley, and is a mechanic at Mr. Thackwray’s flax-mill, and being at Ripon on Saturday, had partaken too freely of the strong stupefying ale at a beer shop, but still appeared capable of walking, and a friend saw him out of the street and on the proper road homeward, but afterwards, most likely in consequence of some circumvolving movements, he had altered his course from due west to due east, and the first recollection he had of his evening’s ramble was finding himself up to the middle in the River Ure; from this dangerous and unpleasant situation he removed himself as speedily as possible to one of more safety, under a dry arch of the North Bridge, and laid himself down, but feeling uncomfortable in his wet clothes, he put off his shoes, stockings, trowsers, and most of his upper garments, and again, retired to rest, but however full of warmth he might be within, it was not sufficient to keep off the cold without, and he resolved to leave his quarters and make for home.

After rambling about for some time his recollection became more perfect, and he found himself near the race-ground, full five miles from home, naked and nearly starved to death; fortunately, being near a barn, he gained admittance into some part of the building, and soon forgot all his mishaps in sound slumber. The ringing of the bells of Sharow not only announced that it was Sunday, but that the morning had so far dawned, that a retreat without observation could not be effected, and rather than expose his naked and forlorn situation, resolved to stay in his present abode until evening, and select the warmest bed he could find, and

“Into a chaff heap in a barn
he crept, to keep his bottom warm.”

Although the day was nearly one of the shortest, it appeared to him one of the longest, and he had ample time for reflection, and cast many a mournful look at the barley mow for the prank which Sir John had played him, and vowed again to become a teetotaler; however he consoled himself with the certainty of being so far up to the chin in chaff than in water.

As soon as it was dark he took the foot-path, and over the hedges and ditches to avoid the public roads, running with all speed, his undergarments torn to tatters floating in the wind, he arrived at Studley Park, and relaxing his speed, became more sensible of hunger and thirst, and resolved to allay the latter at a pump near the hall stables, but the cup was dashed from his lips, for no sooner had he laid hold of the pump-handle than one of the grooms, taking him for some spectre, set up a hideous shout or yell, and the supposed apparition vanished.

In the end he arrived home, his feet severely blistered and cut, with legs and thighs bearing the marks of the bramble bush. It is hoped as long as he lives he will recollect, by his winter sans culotte expedition.

The York Herald 29 December 1838
graculus
Yorkshire

18-10-2016, 07:41 PM

RIPON WORKHOUSE SUICIDE

On Thursday evening last, an inquest was held at the Board Room of the Ripon Union Workhouse, before James P. Robson, Esq., coroner, on the body of Harriet Rodwell, widow, aged 61.

From the evidence adduced, it appeared the deceased became an inmate of the workhouse on the 3rd Sept. last. She was of a very weak mind, and had on a previous occasion been confined in a lunatic asylum, but since her admittance to the workhouse had shown no marks of insanity. She usually appeared dejected, but generally spoke in a rational manner, though always craving for tobacco. Deceased was last seen alive about half-past twelve o’clock on the previous forenoon, and between four and five o’clock in the afternoon was found laid dead on the steps inside the aged females day-room.

Apparently deceased had fastened her shawl or handkerchief to the handle of the door, placed her neck in the noose whilst in a sitting position, and by sliding down the step caused strangulation. After a lengthy inquiry, the jury found a verdict “That the deceased strangled herself, she not being at the time in a sound state of mind.”

The York Herald 08 December 1855
graculus
Yorkshire

18-10-2016, 07:58 PM

The stupid and unpardonable behaviour of servants.

COURT-HOUSE, RIPON

On Friday last, before Chas. Oxley, F. H. Wood, H. Greenwood, and A. Bower Wsqrs. The several constables for the townships within the Liberty of Ripon, chosen at their respective township meetings were sworn.

Mary Cummins, of Nidd Rock, near Knaresboro’, was summoned by Ann Dodsworth, her servant, for an assault. Mr. Heslop appeared for the complainant, retained by the Guardians of the Ripon Union. The girl stated that she was twelve years old, and now in the Union Workhouse. She had been in the service of Mrs. Cummins, and having put some dirty water into the boiler, Mrs. Cummins scolded her for it, and struck her with a stick and cart whip, and wanted to put her in a black hole.

Mr. Geo. Greenwood, master of Ripon Workhouse, deposed that the girl was a little stupid. She came to the Workhouse last Friday, and he observed marks about her person, as if inflicted by a whip. There was a severe bruise on the arm, also one on the forehead, over the right eye. Mrs. Cummins admitted that she had struck her, but the girl struck first, and pushed her against the door, and otherwise conducted herself very badly. Mr. Heslop said that he was instructed by the Guardians to say that it was their determination to protect to the utmost the poor and friendless children in their care; and he trusted the bench would inflict such a fine on her, as would, for the future, prevent her and all others from ill-treating any workhouse children that might be in their servitude.

The chairman remarked that it was a well known fact that respectable farmers and their wives were subjected to a good deal of annoyance by the stupid and unpardonable behaviour of servants. He thought a smart switch was of great service if temperately used. The complainant was evidently a pert and unmanageable girl; at the same time Mrs. Cummins should not have taken the law into her own hands to the extent she did. The bench would therefore fine her 1s., and 17s. costs.

Yorkshire Gazette, 19 April 1856
graculus
Yorkshire

19-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Naughty boys in court - and then gaol.

LIBERTY OF RIPON
SUMMER GENERAL QUARTER SESSIONS

These sessions were held at the Court-House, on Friday. The following magistrates were on the bench, viz., ROBT. PALEY, Esq., M.D., Chairman; Chas. Oxley, Thos. Mason. Digby Caley, W.H. Hugesson, Esqrs., and John Walbran, Esq., Mayor of Ripon. There was also a GRAND JURY.

Her Majesty’s proclamation against vice and immorality having been read, the CHAIRMAN delivered his charge to the Grand Jury. The reports of the Visiting Justices and Fincance Comittee were then read and adopted, after which the following prisoners were tried :-

FELONY. - Michael Murray, a young lad apparently not more than twelve years of age, was indicted for having, at Ripon, on the 26th May last, abstracted from the pocket of Ellen Thackwray, (whilst standing in the market), a half-sovereign, eleven crowns, and other monies. - Information having been given to the police, the prisoner, and his father and brother, were apprehended the same evening at a lodging house in Knaresbro’, and on an examination of the prisoners the next day, the lad was positively sworn to by the prosecutor and another person, (but the others were discharged), who observed him with his hand in her pocket, but on an alarm being given at the time, he quickly made his exit from the city.

The prisoner pleaded guilty, and on the Chairman sentencing him to two months imprisonment with hard labour, observed that the court were disposed to act leniently, as they believed that there were those in the background who were more blameable than the prisoner, yet although he was young in years, they believed it not to be the first offence of the kind he had committed, but they hoped his imprisonment would have the effect of causing him to leave the place a better subject than when he entered it.

MISDEMEANOR.- Thomas Benson, late of Bondgate, another young lad, was indicted for having obtained from Mr. Wm. Thwaites, butcher of Ripon, under false pretences, several joints of meat, suet, &c. The prisoner pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to two years imprisonment with hard labour, the Chairman observing that it was necessary to visit his crime with severe punishment, as his friends, who were respectable had endeavoured to the utmost of their power (but uselessly) to reclaim him.

The Court then adjourned to Friday, the 26th August next.

Yorkshire Herald, 09 July 1842
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 01:33 PM

During the few days he remained there, the sight of his child and former recollections crowding upon him so affected his mind, that he resolved, after the matter had been fully discussed by himself and brother-in-law, to return to York. They arrived at the Castle on Tuesday afternoon, and the brother-in-law will be entitled to the reward of £5. It seems that a police officer had received information respecting Marshall, and he would have been taken into custody in a short time.
Quoted from, Graculus.

He gave himself up again then by allowing his Brother-in-Law to take him back for the reward. Guess he spent the rest of his life in prison, sad, he'd have got more help now with his mental problems.
graculus
Yorkshire

19-10-2016, 02:20 PM

Naughty girls in court - and then gaol.

JUVENILE SHOPLIFTING

On the 18th inst., at the Ripon Court House, three girls named Ann Lupton, aged 14, Ann Elsworth, aged 13, and Frances Paylor, aged 12, all of Ripon, were charged with several shop robberies. The circumstances attending the successful system of purloining goods from different shopkeepers in Ripon, by these juvenile delinquents, is almost beyond conception, and could hardly have been more effectively carried out by the most practical hand, either in London or any other large town.

The following are some of the facts which we gather. On Tuesday the 15th, the three prisoners entered the shop of Mr. John Carter, draper, Kirkgate, and after looking at some goods left without making a purchase. After the prisoners had left the shop, a number of silk handkerchiefs were missing from the counter. During the same afternoon, the girl Lupton, visited Mrs. Beckwith, hosier, Skellgate, and whilst there picked Mrs. Beckwith’s pocket of a purse containing some money. She was afterwards taken into custody, and from what she stated Mr. Collinson, police officer, was induced to visit a house occupied by Mrs. Jane Moody (grandmother of the prisoner Elsworth), where he found a quantity of Berlin wool, a blue and white silk handkerchief, a quantity of ribbon, several pieces of print, and a number of books. The prisoner Elsworth, who was in the house at the time of the search, stated that the goods found were given to her by the prisoner Lupton, in compensation for serving her. Mr. Collinson afterwards searched the house occupied by the prisoner Lupton’s father, and found five silk handkerchiefs, one pair of patent slippers, a muslin delane dress, several pieces of print, a quantity of note paper, Berlin wool, woollen cuffs, and a number of books &c. From further information the police officer apprehended the prisoner Paylor, but did not find any stolen property at her parent’s house. Many of the different articles produced in court were identified by the respective owners. Several bibles and prayer books were also shewn to belong to the parties who attend the Cathedral and Trinity Churches, from which places of worship they had been stolen.

The only case gone into by the Magistrates was that of stealing the handkerchiefs from Mr. Carter, in which the evidence was so clear against them that the three prisoners were committed for two months to the House of Correction, and during that time to be dieted on bread and water two days in every week.

Leeds Intelligencer, 26 March 1853
graculus
Yorkshire

19-10-2016, 02:39 PM

Ripon Workhouse who boy stole from master's daughter

RIPON. CITY POLICE COURT

Yesterday Wm. Wintersgill, aged 11, an inmate of the Ripon Union Workhouse, was charged with having stolen 2s 6d from Annie Greenwood, daughter of the Master of the Workhouse. Prisoner admitted the offence. It was stated that the lad was one of a family of six admitted to the house nine years ago, since which time they had been a source of constant trouble, and prisoner was constantly committing petty thefts. He was sentenced to 10 days’ imprisonment and 5 years in a reformatory.

Yorkshire Herald, 23 September 1880

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top