Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Re: Owning a classic car?

Yes they bring back memories.

My first car was a Singer Hunter 1500cc, it had a horses head on the top of the grille/bonnet. Cost me £30.00p with a duff engine.

Full strip down and rebuild before I could drive it.

That was in 1966, Moved on to a 1960 Anglia with the sloping back window,--- 1962 MG Midget, ---1962 Zodiac --1959 Thames Caravanette --- 1966 Morris 1800 (balloon shape)--- then I moved into the big time, I had a crush on Mercedes . Had 3 one after each other, 1988 Vauxhall Senator , Vauxhall Cavalier, Vectra and now a Zafira and a Peugeot van for fishing.

That's my lifes story with transport.
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 09:06 PM

This is an image of my first car, Column change, walnut dash, leather seats, full of rust.

Roy
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Had an Austin 7 with aluminium body, steel mudguards and bonnet. Side valve engine. Handbrakes, rear brakes and footbrake front. Two door with split windscreen and green upholstery. 1927, and bought for £15 off a friend of my father.. Max speed downhill = 45mph.

I would love a Maigret Citroen Traction
toyboyroy
South Wales

15-07-2014, 07:58 PM

I take it that it was the `Chummy` with the horizontal split?

Oh to have had Hindsight in them days.
David B
Lancashire, England
David B is male  David B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 06:00 AM

My dream car would be a Jaguar E type drop head coupe, still the best design of sports car made in my opinion.A friend of mine restored one and it cost him an absolute fortune in parts so think very carefully before committing to a restoration project.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 05:39 PM

This Aussie has always had a 'thing' about classic British cars.
Currently salivating over the (65 or 66 ?) Alvis in the TV series 'Kingdom'.

Found a fully-restored 1962 version here FOR $90,000 !
A bit out of my league.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

23-11-2014, 08:28 PM

I say go for it. Since it's not your daily driver, you can take your sweet time restoring it. I have a 1963 Dodge Dart ( first generation) with it's original sheet metal and paint. I've been working on it off and on for years.

It's also a great social device, as there are quite a few antique car enthusiasts. It's a lot of fun to go to the car meets and see the other cars and meet the owners. I find old car people are generally an interesting bunch.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
I say go for it. Since it's not your daily driver, you can take your sweet time restoring it. I have a 1963 Dodge Dart ( first generation) with it's original sheet metal and paint. I've been working on it off and on for years.

It's also a great social device, as there are quite a few antique car enthusiasts. It's a lot of fun to go to the car meets and see the other cars and meet the owners. I find old car people are generally an interesting bunch.
Hey Donnamarie, you are not by any chance the famous Ma Mopar are you?

Whats in it, the 170 or the 225?
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

23-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Hi Fender; no it's original 170ci was taken out by a previous owner. I bought it with a 225. There is still a lot of room in the engine compartment to tinker around. Since it isn't 100% numbers matching original, it isn't worth a whole lot. I just like the car.

I bought the car out of a junkyard for $500 and it was missing its gas tank. I just fell in love with its lines and color. It still has its original Chrysler "Seafoam Green" paint, although it looks turquoise to me. I have put in a replacement tank and a floor panel. The engine was frozen, and I fed gasoline into the carb, shimmied the fan, and got her running. She runs SMOOTH. You could put a cup of water on her air filter cover, and nary a drop would be missing.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 09:23 PM

I like the old slant 6's, reliable engines even when compared to the ones of today.

Is it pushbutton or three on the tree?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top