Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Re: Bosch/Dyson Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Take off the long wand and attach the brush directly to the motor unit. Much easier that way, and you might even enjoy it.
I will NEVER enjoy vaccing ......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 08:59 AM

I use a mains-powered Henry for a thorough vacuum of the entire floor area of the house.

Also a Bosch battery vacuum for quickly picking up crumbs and bits that fall on the floor in between those thorough vacuuming sessions.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I could never understand why so many Dyson upright cleaners were taken to the tip?
Because at the end of the day a vacuum cleaner, ANY vacuum cleaner is nothing more than a motor. There's no great new science involved with motors. They have been here for years and years. It's just a rotating chunk of metal wound with lots of copper wire and some magnets and brushes. It's characteristic of most vacuum cleaner motors that when you first buy them, they create loads of suction, but within a year that drops off considerably and eventually they become rather useless, which is why people throw them away and buy a new one.

You can tart up a vacuum cleaner with all manner of plastic forms and make the thing look like a formula 1 car (like Dysons) but strip away all the frippery and all you have is that motor.

Therefore what distinguishes one cleaner from another in real terms is the size, quality and build of that motor.

Common sense tells you that manufacturers who are concentrating on making the thing look sexy and all technical and modern (i.e. the frippery) most likely are not spending money on a quality motor.

This, imo, is why Dyson's don't last and why most of the other "sexy" looking models don't last.

Your Henry on the other hand is a simple fella. Nothing but a cylindrical bucket design with a lid and a long hose pipe, much like vacuums used to be years ago. Henry is unassuming, humble, not sexy, but what he is, is a workhorse. The suction is excellent and the motor lasts for years and years with the same suction levels. You can throw anything at it and it will work just as well.

It's clear to me that the manufacturer here concentrated on what is important, which is simply a good solid motor.

Dyson, Vax, Electrolux and most of the rest are fur coat and no knickers. Caveat Emptor.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Because at the end of the day a vacuum cleaner, ANY vacuum cleaner is nothing more than a motor. There's no great new science involved with motors. They have been here for years and years. It's just a rotating chunk of metal wound with lots of copper wire and some magnets and brushes. It's characteristic of most vacuum cleaner motors that when you first buy them, they create loads of suction, but within a year that drops off considerably and eventually they become rather useless, which is why people throw them away and buy a new one.

You can tart up a vacuum cleaner with all manner of plastic forms and make the thing look like a formula 1 car (like Dysons) but strip away all the frippery and all you have is that motor.

Therefore what distinguishes one cleaner from another in real terms is the size, quality and build of that motor.

Common sense tells you that manufacturers who are concentrating on making the thing look sexy and all technical and modern (i.e. the frippery) most likely are not spending money on a quality motor.

This, imo, is why Dyson's don't last and why most of the other "sexy" looking models don't last.

Your Henry on the other hand is a simple fella. Nothing but a cylindrical bucket design with a lid and a long hose pipe, much like vacuums used to be years ago. Henry is unassuming, humble, not sexy, but what he is, is a workhorse. The suction is excellent and the motor lasts for years and years with the same suction levels. You can throw anything at it and it will work just as well.

It's clear to me that the manufacturer here concentrated on what is important, which is simply a good solid motor.

Dyson, Vax, Electrolux and most of the rest are fur coat and no knickers. Caveat Emptor.
I don't disagree with your explanations. However, in addition to our cordless V6, we have a mains-powered upright and a small cordless vacuum cleaner - both Dyson - which are both well over a year old, probably several years. Both work as effectively as they ever did.

Yes, I know. Why do I still keep them?

The simple answer is that I just can't bring myself to throw things away!

Wanna buy a couple of old vacuum cleaners, both working as new?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Customer service ???
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 10:03 AM

It's arrived .....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 10:10 PM

How exciting!
What did you think?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
How exciting!
What did you think?
He's still vacuuming, Rhian
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Ha!
I bet he is too
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-05-2018, 11:42 PM

How exciting!
What did you think?
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Ha!
I bet he is too
I opened the box, saw that it looked like new, just touched it (honestly, officer) and it went off (well, came on, actually) .....

I grabbed the sealed instructions, the thing went back to sleep and I shut the lid on it .....

I'll read the manual and have another peek tomorrow .....

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top