Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Written English

I guess we all have to accept that teenagers will type in text speak, but it seems that an increasing number of adults are getting lazy too. I find it sad that written English is no longer considered appropriate or necessary, and shortened or colloquialised (is that a word?) or stylised spellings and phrases are the norm for some.

I don't intend to criticise those that don't write in English, but just observing that in this internet/text world people seem to be increasingly neglecting the written word. I find that a bit sad, as I have always quite liked word/sentence construction and writing.

Am I just being a grumpy old git or does anyone else feel the same?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Re: Written English

Wanted to see what this thread was about, so entered into the den .....
No surprise here. People come from all over and you will just have to accept the way people speak, just 'cos its 'written' dont mean 'we' have to change our ways to suit you or anyone else.
The 'ignore' button works very well, if it hadn't been a new thread, I would not have seen your post. Or is it in the 'rules' that we have to speak a certain way ......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:57 PM

I was taught to use the English language properly and will continue to do so. With regard to others, as long as I can understand what they are saying I am happy with it but I very often find that I don't understand. In that case they are at fault as they have failed to communicate their message.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 07:09 PM

I consider myself to be quite proficient in the spoken and written word. However, it depends on the venue. I can be quite formal in my speech and writing, but sometimes I just enjoy relaxing and using colloquialisms. Like here.. I am more apt to type as I am thinking and to use more informal speech than I would if I were preparing a dissertation or a power point presentation. Why? Are we being graded?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Living with a dyslexic I am used to guessing what words are as often they are so badly spelled they could be anything LOL, I am member of a forum where a lot write in text speak as they are all dyslexic and for some reason find text speak easier to write. I tend to write on forums as I speak in real life. If I were writing a letter I would write differently but here well you get what ever I am thinking in whatever form it takes. Sorry but forums are informal settings and I cannot be doing with feeling like I am sitting an exam everyday !
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I guess we all have to accept that teenagers will type in text speak, but it seems that an increasing number of adults are getting lazy too. I find it sad that written English is no longer considered appropriate or necessary, and shortened or colloquialised (is that a word?) or stylised spellings and phrases are the norm for some.

I don't intend to criticise those that don't write in English, but just observing that in this internet/text world people seem to be increasingly neglecting the written word. I find that a bit sad, as I have always quite liked word/sentence construction and writing.

Am I just being a grumpy old git or does anyone else feel the same?
I do.

I think it is a sad fact that written English is on a downward spiral.

Of course there are exceptions, Julie has mentioned dyslexia, but text speak in particular is pure laziness in my opinion.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Wanted to see what this thread was about, so entered into the den .....
No surprise here. People come from all over and you will just have to accept the way people speak, just 'cos its 'written' dont mean 'we' have to change our ways to suit you or anyone else.
The 'ignore' button works very well, if it hadn't been a new thread, I would not have seen your post. Or is it in the 'rules' that we have to speak a certain way ......
As my post suggested, I am not criticising or expecting people to change their ways, but I am aware that you have a problem with me, as I don't share some of your views.
I was merely commenting on an observation. You don't need to respond...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 10:22 PM

I think we have to face the fact that the language is changing all the time, people of our generation have lived through more changes in technology and behaviour then any generation before us. Here's some old English text from 1,000 years ago and I bet without the translation noboby could make head nor tail of it.

Old English
An. M.LXVI. On žyssum geare man halgode žet mynster ęt Westmynstre on Cyldamęsse dęg 7 se cyng Eadward foršferde on Twelfts męsse ęfen 7 hine mann bebyrgede on Twelftan męssedęg innan žęre niwa halgodre circean on Westmyntre 7 Harold eorl feng to Englalandes cynerice swa swa se cyng hit him geuše 7 eac men hine žęrto gecuron 7 węs gebletsod to cynge on Twelftan męssedęg 7 ža ylcan geare že he cyng węs he for ut mid sciphere togeanes Willelme ... 7 ža hwile com Willelm eorl upp ęt Hestingan on Sce Michaeles męssedęg 7 Harold com noršan 7 him wiš gefeaht ear žan že his here com eall 7 žęr he feoll 7 his twęgen gebrošra Gyrš 7 Leofwine and Willelm žis land geeode 7 com to Westmynstre 7 Ealdred arceb hine to cynge gehalgode 7 menn guldon him gyld 7 gislas sealdon 7 syššan heora land bohtan.

Modern English
1066 In this year the monastery at Westminster was hallowed on Childermas day (28 December). And king Eadward died on Twelfth-mass eve (5 January) and he was buried on Twelfth-mass day, in the newly hallowed church at Westminster. And earl Harold succeeded to the Kingdom of England, as the king had granted it to him and men had also chosen him thereto and he was blessed as king on Twelfth-mass day. And in the same year that he was king he went out with a naval force against William ... And the while count William landed at Hastings, on St. Michael's mass-day and Harold came from the north and fought against him before his army had all come and there he fell and his two brothers Gyrth and Leofwine and William subdued this land, and came to Westminster and archbishop Ealdred hallowed him king and men paid him tribute and gave him hostages and afterwards bought their land.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 10:28 PM

I pride myself in being grammatically correct in everything I write, be it an important speech or a to-do list.

Of course - as you have all probably seen - I don't always fulfill this when I'm a wee bit tipsy, but I'm only human.

I fail to understand "text speak", in either sense of the word! I cannot decipher it nor can I figure out the logic in it.

I just hope that these youngsters today learn "proper" English for times when it is necessary, otherwise they will be of no use to any employer (except perhaps packing shelves in Safeways).

Yes I own a mobile phone and I send about 1 text a month. Why? Because I hate the whole idea of it. To me, it says "I couldn't be bothered to telephone you so here is what I wanted to say in a nut-shell". Some may not be bothered by that - but I am.

When I want to communicate with somebody I will either pick up the phone and call them, get my typewriter out and send a letter or (last resort) send an email. I will not send a text unless it is the only means of contact (I.E. If I only have their mobile number and cannot get through to them by calling).

P.S. You will not believe this, but just after finishing this post my phone went off and I have a new SMS. How ironic.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 11:01 PM

I blame Pauline Quirke! Years ago when my boys were young she was a childrens tv presenter. What roll model for young kids.!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top