Join for free
Page 144 of 190 « First < 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:11 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

I love MG....especially the Ralph Lauren shop, some real bargains there...have fun
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The happy couple have started off their married life with a grand tour of Wales, starting off at Llandudno (recommended by me) they were disappointed with 'The Grand' though, so moved to the Merrion (a proper hotel) for a two night stay.....

An early start this morning saw me struggling round my five mile running course, at least it seemed like a struggle until I stopped the watch and found that the time was a seasons best, beating Fridays run by just 30 seconds.....

After a decent recovery, and a Tesco ham sandwich we visited the cinema at Meadowhall (Sheffield) and enjoyed Tom Cruise in the latest 'Mission Impossible'....Well I like him...
OGF can I ask a favor of you since I'm invited to your place at any old time - can you post the Tesco ham sandwich you had on the sandwich thread and describe it for bakerman - I think he will be thrilled to bits?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 10:52 AM

My main reason for visiting Mcarthur Glen was to visit the Lacoste shop Summer, just across the way from the Ralph Lauren shop (I'm a bit of a Lacoste fan) and yes, the next time I visit with more time I shall wander into Ralph's shop and observe the wonders therein.....

Tuesday's five mile run was the fastest post Piriformis run, in fact, the fastest this year, but today, feeling good and in cooler conditions I knocked off another thirty seconds.... I was beginning to worry about our visit to Guernsey on Friday, the three running courses I frequent while there are longer than I've been running lately, with unavoidable serious climbs.... But after my recent progress I feel confident I'm up to the challenge.

So many jobs to do today before we go, not least my packing, so I better look lively...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 05:36 PM

Parked the car at East Midland Airport under darkening skies and spots of rain..
Luckily the shuttle bus wasn't far away, but by the time we reached the airport departure lounge the rain came pouring down.

It's only about an hours flight to Guernsey and we arrived to a cloudy cool afternoon, but no rain, thankfully, dressed in only shorts and polo shirt I would have been ill equipped for any inclement weather. It's always nice to step into a tidy hotel room and leave problems at the door. At least it was tidy until we arrived.....

We left our home in Doncaster around ten this morning, and sat looking out of the hotel room window with a steaming hot mug of Tetleys Tea at four in the afternoon......This was the view that greeted us....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Started off with a visit to the farmers market this morning, but there's not much farmers stuff these days, It's more like a posh car boot....

A walk down into town and lunch in our favourite restaurant overlooking the harbour. The best Crab sandwiches anywhere in the world....

Up until now I've managed to purchase my running shoes from 'Sports Direct' at around £35, Unfortunately, they've gone all young and poser'ish, so I visited one of the local family run sports shops and found these...

A bit pricey at £90 but what the hell.....They look nice, and I'll try them out tomorrow.....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Glad you are having a lovely holiday Foxy.
Lovely pics. BUT £90!!!!! for trainers.
Still, if you are flush.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 11:12 PM

Up until now I've managed to purchase my running shoes from 'Sports Direct' at around £35, Unfortunately, they've gone all young and poser'ish, so I visited one of the local family run sports shops and found these...

A bit pricey at £90 but what the hell.....They look nice, and I'll try them out tomorrow.....

They look nice trainers Foxy.
If you like them and they are nice and comfortable, why not treat yourself - you are on holiday after all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-08-2018, 05:40 PM

Tee Shirt and Shorts laid neatly folded and new running shoes placed carefully underneath the chair, ready for an early morning getaway, and not to wake the slumbering Mrs Fox....
I woke before the alarm clock could pierce the early morning silence with its electronic scramble facility.
Unfortunately, rain peppered the window, and I reluctantly returned my new shoes to the cupboard and retrieved my old ones, rain soaked pavements were no place for the first run of recently purchased cherished shoes, that cost a king’s ransom.....

If truth be known, I wasn’t looking forward to this first outing in Guernsey. Yes! Running was returning to normal after my battle with a damaged Piriformis, but the pain was still apparent before and after a run, and the hills here in Guernsey are vicious, would it set me back a few months? And in my present state, would I even be able to manage them? Once you drop down into St Peter Port there is no way back to the hotel without a monster of a hill to climb, and tasty full English breakfasts are not served all day!

With some trepidation I left the warmth of the hotel and made my way to the top of George road, about a mile and a half away. The light rain gently sprinkled on my face and legs, but nothing to worry about. I started the decent feeling quite relaxed, so far, so good. It’s a long way to the sea front down George road, and it alternates between steep, and ridiculously gravity defying, but I eventually bobbed out between the Church and M&S and started the half mile of flat walkway along the harbour side.

The rain had subsided, and my pace was comfortable as I turned left to face St Julian’s Avenue. I admired myself in the glass sides of some well known banks offices, at least I looked like a runner and the steep climb wasn’t making any impression on me yet. I passed the time of day with an old’ish couple running down, their expression said it all....Each corner posed a new challenge as steep climb after steep climb were revealed, when the top would have been a more preferable sight, and a relief to the tiredness now building up in my legs.

I pushed on up, and just when I thought I would have to walk, the end came into view and with renewed vigour I stepped up the pace. There would be more hills to overcome before I finished, but none as steep and as long as this one, and a smile brushed across my rain soaked face, not even the now increasing rain could take away the satisfaction that I felt from beating that hill one more time....
Although slow, I was pleased with this morning’s effort, and we’ll give it another go on Tuesday.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Sorry Mups and Sweetie Pie, Internet is rubbish here in the hotel, so if I'm late answering please bear with me....

I know it sounds a lot for running shoes, but when you consider that most injuries to runners are due to worn or badly fitting running shoes it puts the cost into perspective.
Also, any sport requires decent equipment that must be invested in.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Tee Shirt and Shorts laid neatly folded and new running shoes placed carefully underneath the chair, ready for an early morning getaway, and not to wake the slumbering Mrs Fox....
I woke before the alarm clock could pierce the early morning silence with its electronic scramble facility.
Unfortunately, rain peppered the window, and I reluctantly returned my new shoes to the cupboard and retrieved my old ones, rain soaked pavements were no place for the first run of recently purchased cherished shoes, that cost a king’s ransom.....

If truth be known, I wasn’t looking forward to this first outing in Guernsey. Yes! Running was returning to normal after my battle with a damaged Piriformis, but the pain was still apparent before and after a run, and the hills here in Guernsey are vicious, would it set me back a few months? And in my present state, would I even be able to manage them? Once you drop down into St Peter Port there is no way back to the hotel without a monster of a hill to climb, and tasty full English breakfasts are not served all day!

With some trepidation I left the warmth of the hotel and made my way to the top of George road, about a mile and a half away. The light rain gently sprinkled on my face and legs, but nothing to worry about. I started the decent feeling quite relaxed, so far, so good. It’s a long way to the sea front down George road, and it alternates between steep, and ridiculously gravity defying, but I eventually bobbed out between the Church and M&S and started the half mile of flat walkway along the harbour side.

The rain had subsided, and my pace was comfortable as I turned left to face St Julian’s Avenue. I admired myself in the glass sides of some well known banks offices, at least I looked like a runner and the steep climb wasn’t making any impression on me yet. I passed the time of day with an old’ish couple running down, their expression said it all....Each corner posed a new challenge as steep climb after steep climb were revealed, when the top would have been a more preferable sight, and a relief to the tiredness now building up in my legs.

I pushed on up, and just when I thought I would have to walk, the end came into view and with renewed vigour I stepped up the pace. There would be more hills to overcome before I finished, but none as steep and as long as this one, and a smile brushed across my rain soaked face, not even the now increasing rain could take away the satisfaction that I felt from beating that hill one more time....
Although slow, I was pleased with this morning’s effort, and we’ll give it another go on Tuesday.
I just stumbled upon this long running running thread.
You write very well if I may say so. I would like to have such a talent but, as an engineer, we tend to be , or have to be concise.

I liked your description of your routes. I can empathise with that. We, my dog and I, walk a lot, up to ten miles a day, streams, canals, lakes, nature reserves. It is very therapeutic I find.

On footwear, my wife and I wear good walking boots. Gortex Scarpa boots. They are the most comfortable footwear I have ever had. They are pricey too but when you do those sort of miles you get your money's worth.

Page 144 of 190 « First < 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top