Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 12:21 AM

Re: History- Robin Hood

Every culture has its myths and legends.
Australia's aborigines have got some beauts -
Then there's Robin Hood, Moses, Yeshua, Mohammad, Thor, Joseph Smith, the 'virgin Mary'.....
dime a dozen.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient...rthur_01.shtml
Found this interesting.
That is an excellent link - thank you.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 07:38 AM

He was just the first Labour supporter to nick off the hard working people to support work shy scroungers.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2017, 10:15 PM

King Arthur, fact or fiction.
Tricky, no proof apparently , although he relates to the 5th century.

Then in those days Arthur fought against them with the kings of the Britons, but he was commander [dux bellorum] in those battles.

Quite often, stories have been based on a character, and although Guinevere could be purely fictional, the fact that Arthur was said to be of Cetic heritage, the name Guinevere has a resemblance to Gwen, there could be a little truth in origin.

Am I speaking rubbish ? Yep probably.

Pumistone needs to go and have a good scrub, get his circulation going.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 02:00 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient...rthur_01.shtml
Found this interesting.
Well Cinderella, as it's past midnight, you may be in bed.
This might interest you.
Maybe King Arthur was not 5th century.
There was the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Sir Gawain, King Arthur and Queen Guinevere is also part of this tale somewhere.

Fact or Fiction.

Sir Gwain sets out from Wales across the River Dee into Wirral, looking for the Green Chapel . You may think that strange but the oldest family in Wirral and the country was named Green, Lancelyn -Green. Could Lancelyn be Lancelot ? The Lancelyn -Green's live in Poulton Hall and it is still the family seat after 900 yrs .

Strangely enough, Roger Lancelyn Green wrote a book on King Arthur in recent times. King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Roger was a little different and very much into Sherlock Holmes , Conan Doyle and mystery. Even his death was a mystery in 2004.

http://www.poultonhall.co.uk/TheGardens.html

I have read the poem a long time ago, " Sir Gwain and the Green Knight" but unfortunately cannot find it again atm. , although the story is easy to find.

Following on; Someone wrote this piece a few years ago, about the area and the connections to history and relative possibilities. I suppose its difficult not knowing the area, but it makes striking possibilities that I can vouch for.

Enjoy if you can:

Gwri in his many transformations is involved with the Celtic versions of the Arthurian Grail myths, although most will only be familiar with him from his incarnation as 'Gawain'. As a side note - Gawain's journey to Wirral in 'Sir Gawain and The Green Knight' (13th century) is perfectly understandable given that Gawain is Gwri, and 'The Wirral' is Gwri's personal retreat. Its interesting in the poem that the geography of his journey from Arthur's court to find the Green Knight's chapel is easily traceable until Gawain reaches Wirral.
Most scholars seem perplexed by this, but a simple answer from the Celtic perspective is that as soon as he arrives 'home' on the Wiral he has already passed through a portal to the 'Otherworld' or Annwn (the prototype for Avalon) and so the physical geography naturally enough ends.
Gwri's mother was Rhiannon - sometimes Goddess of the Moon and of horses. On Gwri's birth a foal is also born nearby. Remembering that Gwri is a Solar deity (a Sun God) then the birth of Gwriis as the birth of the Sun. Wirral is Gwri's land, and on Bidston Hill there is the well known carving of a Goddess giving birth to the Sun - and neaby a horses head carving with a Sun-Disc wheel symbol on its neck. Again, both of these carvings are regularly credited as Viking, yet, both the Horse and sun disc are Celtic symbols and given the significance of Wirral in Gwri's and Rhiannon's story it seems claer that they are in fact Celtic in origin. A line of sight due west from these carvings see's Hilbre Island behind which the sun sets. Due east of cousre is the point at which it rises. The significance of Hilbre isalnd is a notehr topic in itself, as Gwri's land (Wirral) borders that of King Bran (Ban/Brion) in modern North Wales over the Dee estuary, and King Bran was keeper of the Cauldron of re-Birth/Plenty sometimes called The Cauldron of Britain. Gwri in adolescence was renamed Pryderi, and he (Pryderi) became a guardian of Annwn/Avalon (there's much more to this but space is limited).
Returning back to Landican - it is the possible site of the Enclosures of the Kin - Gwri's Kin, their 'assembly' the memory of which re-surfaced in the Norse period as Thingwall.
There's been precious little archaeology in and around Landican and Woodchurch apart from a find reported from Wopodchurch in 1923 of a Roman spear point and a 'Votive' Bronze Cauldron - votive meaning 'offering' remember the Celtic Cauldron of re-birth and its connection to Gwri. By chance I found on this forum a post from someone who says that there'll be an arachaeological announcement later this year 2010 that'll make 'fropnt page' News and will re-write the History of the Woodchurch and Landican area. I've posted to ak the person concerned if he'll let us know more - no reply yet.
So, my intetest in Landican is long standing, hence my curiosity at what I described as 'possible' crop marks as viewable on Google Satelite images.
The area is deeply ingrained in my psyche and I've written about it in at least six of my published novels.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Gwri's mother was Rhiannon - sometimes Goddess of the Moon and of horses.
I know her. She posts on this forum.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

04-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I know her. She posts on this forum.
Ha ha... JBR.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 05:17 PM

I am Rhian..Mother of Dragons
Goddess of all the skies

I laugh in the face of Rhiannons

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Goddess of all the skies

You mean a Rhian is different from a Rhiannon? I thought it was just a short version.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

04-01-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Goddess of all the skies

Oh no ! Not Pendragon ? Uther Pendragon was the father of King Arthur. Hail Rhian

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top