Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Doggie wobble

Bennie gave me a fright last night and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. He came into the room looking a bit agitated and uncoordinated, then either had a fit or a rigor, struggled to get up and staggered with great difficulty out the door, then promptly puked up his dinner.
He recovered within 15 minutes or so, though was perhaps a bit subdued for a while longer. But back to his normal antics an hour or two later.
I think he may have had a temperature.
When he was shaking and uncoordinated he was conscious, and wasn't incontinent, so not convinced it was a proper fit, but it was so horrible to watch.
Seems fine today
Could it just have been massive nausea setting off things? Any ideas what was going on?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 12:03 PM

Re: Doggie wobble

I'm so sorry to hear Bennie wasn't well Ania.... and pleased he is better today I can offer no ideas, sorry. Just wanted to send a ((hug)) as you were/are obviously upset by this. I do hope someone will come up with some reassuring answers.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Sorry to hear this Ania. I've not come across this before either but you could ask the local vet and get them to give him the once over for peace of mind. Hugs to Bennie from Bonnie.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear that Ania. My advice would be to keep a careful eye on Bennie and if it happens again take him to the vet as they can test for epilepsy which dogs can have and it can be stabilised by medication.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Yes, the plan is to take him to the vet if it happens again. Was going to take him today anyway but he is absolutely fine now so probably no point. Took out a pet insurance policy today just in case!
The problem with testing is that epilepsy is a diagnosis made only when all other causes eg blood problems, tumours etc have been ruled out, which means blood tests, scans etc. I don't mind paying for that but don't want to put him through it if not necessary.
I'm hoping it was just something he ate that he shouldn't have, with some residue of some nasty chemical or similar on it.
Fingers crossed that now I have insurance he won't need it!(I've always been a great believer in Murphy's Law...)
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 01:17 AM

I know absolutely nothing at all about dogs, but the symptoms you've described sounds very much like he's had a touch of food poisoning.

I hope he's better again soon.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Its very worrying when something like this happens,Phoebe had a funny turn a few weeks ago, she woke up and tried to get up but couldnt,it was almost like a stroke, it passed off and i took her to the vets the following day,there was no diagnoses, they said she was an elderly dog. Hope Bonnie has got over her sickness now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Bennie gave me a fright last night and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. He came into the room looking a bit agitated and uncoordinated, then either had a fit or a rigor, struggled to get up and staggered with great difficulty out the door, then promptly puked up his dinner.
He recovered within 15 minutes or so, though was perhaps a bit subdued for a while longer. But back to his normal antics an hour or two later.
I think he may have had a temperature.
When he was shaking and uncoordinated he was conscious, and wasn't incontinent, so not convinced it was a proper fit, but it was so horrible to watch.
Seems fine today
Could it just have been massive nausea setting off things? Any ideas what was going on?
Hi Ania has anything like this happened before?
If Bennie had an infection of some kind resulting in a hight temperature and vomiting this could possibly account for the other symptoms.
Could he have eaten anything which might have been poisonous a plant for example.
There are a number of conditions which can cause similar symptoms, are his ears ok.

I had a dog Amy with similar symptoms minus the vomiting. The problem was caused by a heart condition. She had a number of 'episodes' which I found quite scary. Amy was successfully treated with medication .

I would get Bennie checked out by a vet when you can.
It really could be any number of things or nothing much at all.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 08:41 AM

I think I'd have to go with the food poisoning camp on this one Ania, my two dogs eat all manner of rancid things they pick up in the garden and elsewhere, no doubt Bennie does just the same and not everything agrees with them. My two will maybe throw up afterwards and then have a quiet time for a while but usually they are fine the next day, although it doesn't stop us from losing sleep worrying..

Let's hope this is the case anyway, but I'm sending you and Bennie great big ((((HUGS)))) from me and the pups to make you feel a bit better...hope everything turns out well...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Yes Food Poisoning does seem to be likely. My O.E.S. Pashka was always on a Diet (vets orders) and would sneak off on a walk up in the Woods or the Hills if she thought there was anything to eat...no matter how disgusting. I caught her often and she was often not well a few hours later. Sometimes I had to take her to the Vet as she had me really worried. Other time just throwing it up was the cure.
Hope your Wee One is feeling better now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top