Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 11:49 PM

Re: Foreign Dog Rescues

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This particular dog my friend is taking is in a sanctuary with English people, so the language shouldn't be a problem. They have also sent her a video of the dog looking quite relaxed around a child and other animals, a donkey and loads of cats, so its a bit of an insight of temperament.
They have to be fully vaccinated, including Rabies, and she has been spayed as well. So most of the usual sensible precautions have been taken.
Personally, I think I would prefer to meet a dog first and test it with my own dogs too, before I offered it my home.
Wonderful, now lets hope that level of understanding, hospitality and thoughtfulness can be applied to people immigrating from other parts of Europe too (though spaying them might be a step too far)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 11:51 PM

Don't see what that's got to do with anything Bruce?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Any animal that is rescued can only be a good thing , no matter where it comes from.....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 10:36 AM

It's a difficult issue, not least because all our existing animal welfare organisations are full to the brim with unwanted dogs from this country. My own group currently has 25 dogs being fostered and assessed prior to rehoming and another 50+ waiting to come in. We are under the most appalling financial and emotional pressure. The vast majority of the dogs coming in have to be vet-checked,vaccinated and neutered, which costs us on average some £200 per dog. Since Christmas our vet bill has totalled over £3000 while our income has been about £1500. When dogs come in from within the UK at least our volunteers can assess them regarding their suitability for rehoming before we agree to take them on. When a dog comes in from abroad, we don't have that security and we could be stuck with a dog that is just not rehomable. For us, rehoming dogs from abroad (except in very exceptional circumstances) is just not a sustainable or sensible option.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Yes, I can understand all what you've said there MickB, but also, if you are working aboroad and see these dog's horrific circumstances, most people would want to do something to change their lives for the better.
This is why I said in the first post that I have mixed feelings and see both for and against our rescues importing them. It's a difficult situation.
I would still feel uneasy about this dog coming straight off the plane and into my home, and I also think its a lot to ask from my own dogs to just accept a stranger moving in.
Munchkin
Scotland
Munchkin is male  Munchkin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2014, 03:34 PM

Last year after losing two of our King Charles Cavaliers within 6 months of each other, we decided it would be unfair to get a Puppy, so looked online for Rescue centres, We found one reasonably local, and they had a KC, they came out to inspect our house and check that our other dog(also a KC) was okay,
It was then we found out that the dog we were hoping to get had been rescued from Ireland !! this it appears is something that is happening a lot, they bring them to this country to be rescued.
Lily at first was petrified of everything and everyone, she had been kept in a shed as a puppy maker, had never seen the light of day till it was rescued, we did think at one stage, it would not work out, thankfully we persevered, and she has bonded with our other KC, they are inseparable, she is so loving, best move we ever made.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Yes, a lot of rescues are coming over from Ireland now.
Well done Munchkin. Glad it worked out for you all in the end.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top