Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 09:55 AM

Re: Possible 2nd Scottish Referendum

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Some [people are apparently overlooking the 'other' nationalists, the Welsh and Irish, who having seen how well Scotland are doing, are themselves now ready to line up for a fight over their independence too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7627861.html
Hi

How well Scotland are doing?

Financially they are a mess.

If they leave and join the EU they will have to join the Euro, which means major austerity to meet the deficit requirements.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:11 AM

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland want to leave the UK, I believe they should be allowed to do so.

However, it is they who say they want to leave, and the necessary referenda should therefore be paid for by those countries.

Of course, I know what's coming: they'll want England to pay and, if they do leave the UK, they'll want us to pay them a 'leaving fee'.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:23 AM

I like to think that the union is a good symbiotic relationship that works well for most of the partners for most of the time. Of course there are occasional disagreements and rivalries, but I tend to think that the politicians who advocate breaking up such a long established beneficial partnership just exaggerate those disagreements for their own ends, and are ultimately more interested in their own power and self importance than what is best for their people.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by barry ->
i like to think that the union is a good symbiotic relationship that works well for most of the partners for most of the time. Of course there are occasional disagreements and rivalries, but i tend to think that the politicians who advocate breaking up such a long established beneficial partnership just exaggerate those disagreements for their own ends, and are ultimately more interested in their own power and self importance than what is best for their people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:09 AM

If they do get another referendum I'm beginning to think we should all get a say if we want to break up the union or not. I've always previously thought it was just for the scots to decide but if we are paying so much into the country surely we get a voice too ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If they do get another referendum I'm beginning to think we should all get a say if we want to break up the union or not. I've always previously thought it was just for the scots to decide but if we are paying so much into the country surely we get a voice too ?
All things considered, I think I'd vote for them to leave.

It's sad that the union which has lasted for so long could now come to an end, but it would be to our (English) benefit to get rid of them.

Of course, they'd have no-one else (apart from Sturgeon and the SNP, who they voted in) to blame.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:27 AM

It's becoming a boring pain in the butt.

Prior to the previous referendum , they were wanting to get the financial support from the Bank of England for Scotland, should the vote had been one to leave and they went independant. What cheek !

They can't manage on their own, so if they get their independence vote through, they will automatically have to stick with the EU. Of course, that will also result in having regular boats trips across from maybe Norway and Holland, and relieve the mounting camps of migrants etc. Loads of migrant workers but no jobs, Europe's dumping ground ! In for a penny in for a pound as the EU says, NO cherry picking !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:27 AM

For every £100 collected in taxes, Scotland is paying out £127. Says it all.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:33 AM

As JBR says, no government stays the same, and Sturgeon is no different. She'll be gone in the next 5yrs . The Scots have to think far ahead as to where they would like to be in 30yrs time and instead of shouting from the hills, get their act together and start building their own businesses to create a better future instead of relying on multi . -nationals and oil.

We see Venezuela, the biggest oil producing country, and it's near enough penniless . The people are at least.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:15 PM

The scots are enterprising people and always have been so their economy will sort itself out if they leave. Will be a shame to break up the union though

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top