Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Re: Automatic transmission.

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Some new cars have "Launch Hill Assist Systems" for old ladies.
I guess you have one then Mike
(retribution for the Daf comments )

My one downer for the auto is the ruddy fuel consumption, about 20mpg. That's "Twenty Miles Per Gallon" for strange talking folk.
My nasty little ford fiesta auto does a lot more milage than that per gallon 35/40 with a good wind behind me ( I shouldn't be so ungrateful it was a gift.)
I expect you will now tell me that it isn't a real car ...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Some new cars have "Launch Hill Assist Systems" for old ladies.

My one downer for the auto is the ruddy fuel consumption, about 20mpg. That's "Twenty Miles Per Gallon" for strange talking folk.
I currently run a two litre Peugeot 508 which has a six speed auto gearbox and returns just over 40mpg on average.... so I don't know what you have that only returns 20, a Cheiftan tank perhaps...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I currently run a two litre Peugeot 508 which has a six speed auto gearbox and returns just over 40mpg on average.... so I don't know what you have that only returns 20, a Cheiftan tank perhaps...
@ Barry
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:40 PM

My nasty little ford fiesta auto does a lot more milage than that per gallon 35/40 with a good wind behind me ( I shouldn't be so ungrateful it was a gift.)
I expect you will now tell me that it isn't a real car ...
Ford Fiesta, if you lived in my local village you would be the hottest female behind the wheel.
Tonight we have a prog on TV about 100 year olds still driving, recon that is quite young in the village as well.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Having digested all the merits and drawbacks of Auto transmissions, my stance is, why over complicate?. The amount of extra engineering, sensors, hydraulics, servicing, just to alleviate pressing a pedal is ridiculous, and makes folks lazy, it smacks of the folks who use mobility scooters, although they are generally able bodied, each to their own, I guess some folks just want to “Twist and Go”.
Whilst I respect your opinions spitfire, and as someone who fiercely resisted driving an automatic for many years and who now love them, I do resent being generalised as someone who is lazy and as yet fortunate enough not to need a mobility scooter. But you better watch out if I do!

Would you rather we still washed with a ponch and a tub, or lifted the carpets and beat them outside? Why wouldn't we want to use something that makes life that little bit more comfortable? I sit in traffic and watch other drivers continually going up and down the gears and think thank god that's not me. It makes for a more relaxing drive and that's just what I want, being on the road these days is stressful enough.

And Bruce, yes you would do well to duck
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Yes I have two and they both only return about 20mpg, who cares it is only money

HUMMER
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Linden Tree;519095]Whilst I respect your opinions spitfire, and as someone who fiercely resisted driving an automatic for many years and who now love them, I do resent being generalised as someone who is lazy and as yet fortunate enough not to need a mobility scooter. But you better watch out if I do!

Would you rather we still washed with a ponch and a tub, or lifted the carpets and beat them outside? Why wouldn't we want to use something that makes life that little bit more comfortable? I sit in traffic and watch other drivers continually going up and down the gears and think thank god that's not me. It makes for a more relaxing drive and that's just what I want, being on the road these days is stressful enough.

I have never concealed the fact that I am a modern day luddite, if you have the capacity to change gear, do it. if you don't, get an Automatic.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

13-08-2014, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=I have never concealed the fact that I am a modern day luddite, if you have the capacity to change gear, do it. if you don't, get an Automatic.[/QUOTE]

Or if you do not have the capacity to drive an automatic then buy a car which requires a simple gear change.
Then I don't expect you "Heel and Toe" or have a car that needs double de-clutching to drive any more, the days men where men.
No being Superman to use a gear lever is a myth.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:23 PM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 10:27 PM

We could debate the complexities of achieving "forward motion" all night, but I doubt we would find a resolution.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top