Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Re: Automatic transmission.

ALOL, do they have Launch Hill Assist systems for old gentlemen as well?
We do not worry about fuel consumption at all we do so few miles these days, in fact we have had this car four years and have only done 10,000.
Mind you, we live in the Centre of town .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had one of those when I was in my 20s Mike so not quite an 'old girl' then Are they still available .

I progressed to Volvo automatics and had very little trouble with them driving many thousands of miles over 40 years .
Achieving 0-60mph in a fraction of a second was never a priority for me, reliability and easy of driving were the most important considerations and I found automatics met those criteria taking all the hard work out of driving.

I agree with Spitfire on one point things have got too complicated with cars these days with an excess of unnecessary features (like heated seats for example, who on earth wants a hot bottom .

I do.... any chance I can get for my bottom to be hot is okie dokie with me.. No.. Just kidding.. My new Jeep has the cold weather package. Heated seats, and steering wheel as well as heated side mirrors and windshield washer lines. It also has a remote start.. I can have it started and warm before I get in. I suppose if it didn't get so cold here.. but in Chicago we have many below Zero degrees F. That's cold enough to appreciate a warm bottom.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We could debate the complexities of achieving "forward motion" all night, but I doubt we would find a resolution.
I doubt we will either until you admit that the continual pushing of pedals and swinging of levers hasn't got a lot going for it, because you've not come up with a decent reason yet in spite of clutching (excuse the pun) at a few somewhat fragile straws...
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
ALOL, do they have Launch Hill Assist systems for old gentlemen as well?
We do not worry about fuel consumption at all we do so few miles these days, in fact we have had this car four years and have only done 10,000.
Mind you, we live in the Centre of town .
Boy, I easily put on about 20,000km a year on our 2nd hand Buick. Three months after we bought the car, we needed a new engine. I was told it was a fluke, we totally trust our mechanic btw. Anyway $3,000 later, the car was still a fantastic buy at $4,000 originally.

It seems manual transmissions roll back a little, don't they on hills? If you're stopped & just before you start to go again the car moves back a little. I've been a tad concerned when someone ahead of me did that (we have a lot of hills, winding county roads where we live).
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 02:28 PM

We could debate the complexities of achieving "forward motion" all night, but I doubt we would find a resolution.
I remember achieving the "forward motion" just fine in my old 1960 bench seat, column change Ford Consul Convertible.

"He got the action, he got the motion
Yeah, the boy can play
Dedication devotion
Turning all the night time into the day"
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Yes they do Autumn, have to proper clutch control which not everyone has, sad to say. Give me an Automatic any day .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Then there's the folklore about Spanish Fly..... oh.... never mind
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I doubt we will either until you admit that the continual pushing of pedals and swinging of levers hasn't got a lot going for it, because you've not come up with a decent reason yet in spite of clutching (excuse the pun) at a few somewhat fragile straws...

Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 Diesel

Manual £28,560.00 OTR, Road Tax £180.00 PA, 47MPG, tank range 724 miles

Automatic £30,070.00 OTR, Road Tax £205.00 PA (more pollution), 44MPG, tank range 669 miles

Just over £1500 more initial cost, nominal road tax difference, ball park 60 miles less on every tank full, and most importantly, the manual is half a second faster to 62mph,even with two or three manual gear shifts.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 Diesel

Manual £28,560.00 OTR, Road Tax £180.00 PA, 47MPG, tank range 724 miles

Automatic £30,070.00 OTR, Road Tax £205.00 PA (more pollution), 44MPG, tank range 669 miles

Just over £1500 more initial cost, nominal road tax difference, ball park 60 miles less on every tank full, and most importantly, the manual is half a second faster to 62mph,even with two or three manual gear shifts.
You just forgot to mention that the UK government has now admitted that diesel fuel is a foul poison compared with petrol and killing us all. Ho-ho they have woken up at last.
Plus the fuel consumption figures from Ford are totally ludicrous .
Reason I know is that I own one.
However the auto Merc which is one of my toys, is faster in auto version than in manual.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Boy,
It seems manual transmissions roll back a little, don't they on hills? If you're stopped & just before you start to go again the car moves back a little. I've been a tad concerned when someone ahead of me did that (we have a lot of hills, winding county roads where we live).
Two pedals -two feet. Just keep left hoof on brake pedal, press loud pedal and drive the car off the brake. Guaranteed to win you the NASCAR trophy for the quickest getaway from the lights.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top