Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Future technology

I've just read an article featuring Edmund Burke - he did a series called Connections apparently in the 70's.
This article was about the future - say 40/50 years from now and it was amazing.
Scientists will have invented something to save the planet and destroy capitalism, all at one and the same time.

A nanofactory.

It will be able to manipulate matter at atomic level and arrange atoms of a given element or compound into an exact copy of anything!!

Described in the article as a 'kind of super-souped up version of today's 3D printers'

Given the rate of today's technology this is a strong possibility.

Just imagine, having one in your kitchen or living room, making any possession you care to have.
No need for a market, no need to buy, you just make it on demand.
No hunger, no inequality - recycling on a grand scale.

And the down side .......... I haven't thought that one out yet ............ and no mention was made in the article.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Re: Future technology

There 'has' to be a down side ......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Even if you make everything you need yourself you will still need to buy the raw materials...........but will you have a job to earn money ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Good point Alan, I wondered too about the raw materials.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:18 PM

I read the other day that technologists are working on making a computer which uses nanotubes rather than transistors. They have made a very basic one so far.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->

Given the rate of today's technology this is a strong possibility.

Just imagine, having one in your kitchen or living room, making any possession you care to have.
No need for a market, no need to buy, you just make it on demand.
No hunger, no inequality - recycling on a grand scale.

And the down side .......... I haven't thought that one out yet ............ and no mention was made in the article.
It would be great but jobs would be lost so another form of exchange would have to be thought up. I saw a sci-fi film that dealt with this kind of scenario and as people didn't die off enough, the planet became overpopulated so everyone had an implant that meant they expired at age 40 (or something like that) and you had to earn time to put on your implant. Trouble is, thieves stole your implants to get the extra time you had.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 10:34 PM

We all seem so hell bent on having to have a job but lets face it technology will inevitably destroy many jobs if not all eventually. We need food, a place to live, family and friends, and maybe a reason to live, with the latter being very questionable. How long before everything is automated? Computers are going to make a gigantic leap soon with processing power akin to our own brains, allied to the again huge leap in battery power being hinted at, who knows what can be created soon? Thing is what would we do without a need to earn a living? Maybe sport and other pursuits will rule the roost then?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top