Join for free
Page 8 of 42 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Farage has clarified that he doesn't in fact want a 2nd referendum.
May has been resolute that there won't be another referendum.

Any talk on the subject is pointless , even puerile.

I'll leave you to decide if the conversation it's worthy of continuation , but any one who does is being, well......puerile, but that's their choice if it comforts them!!
Hell none of us want one because a democratic decision was made 18 months ago!
Whatever Farage wants, it is no reason to go through the pathetic arguments after another vote. The decision has been made and it shouldn't be changed.

You are right there is no reason for further discussion... by anybody!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:06 PM

oooh, big bold type by anybody and laying down the law, eh? You have spoken and no further comment allowed?

I think anybody is fully entitled to discuss whatever they damn well want, without your permission and to start stamping because the idea of a second referendum makes you miffed is a bit, to borrow a phrase, puerile (childishly silly and immature, by definition, I believe?)

I don't think for one moment that Farage wanted a second referendum, just to get some easy publicity by bringing it up and to egg on the rabid frothing at the mouth Brexiters to greater effort and excesses, in which he seems to have succeeded.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Farage has clarified that he doesn't in fact want a 2nd referendum.
May has been resolute that there won't be another referendum.

Any talk on the subject is pointless , even puerile.

I'll leave you to decide if the conversation it's worthy of continuation , but any one who does is being, well......puerile, but that's their choice if it comforts them!!
And another one who wants to get judgey about what other people discuss. Presumably then you and I can agree that Farage is puerile? After all, it was his discussing a second referendum that captured media attention. And now he's saying he didn't mean it. Very puerile. I really thnk puerile is my favourite word of the day.

It's incredibly gracious of you to allow us to decide for ourselves if the conversation is worthy of continuation but not really for you to label anyone who chooses to do so as puerile, just because you don't agree. Making that sort of blanket judgement is well......puerile, but if it comforts you to believe anyone who disagrees with you is puerile, that's your choice.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=twizzle;1315258]oooh, big bold type by anybody and laying down the law, eh? You have spoken and no further comment allowed?

I think anybody is fully entitled to discuss whatever they damn well want, without your permission and to start stamping because the idea of a second referendum makes you miffed is a bit, to borrow a phrase, puerile (childishly silly and immature, by definition, I believe?)

I don't think for one moment that Farage wanted a second referendum, just to get some easy publicity by bringing it up and to egg on the rabid frothing at the mouth Brexiters to greater effort and excesses, in which he seems to have succeeded.
[/QUOTE

You are entitled to your opinion, but you cant expect others to agree with it! When I said "by anybody" I was merely pointing out that this is a democratic country that respects a democratic vote. That being the case, there is really nothing to discuss, especially when we are all sick of these arguments that will achieve nothing!

If you read my post properly you will understand how I was pointing out that, it isn't the referendum result that will ruin this country, it will be the puerile arguments from those who lost the vote.
We should all be making the effort to make the vote successful, no matter how we voted, instead of giving the international press an opportunity to suggest that Britain couldn't organize a booze up at a brewery
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=Twink55;1315321]
Originally Posted by twizzle ->
oooh, big bold type by anybody and laying down the law, eh? You have spoken and no further comment allowed?

[/QUOTE

You are entitled to your opinion, but you cant expect others to agree with it! When I said "by anybody" I was merely pointing out that this is a democratic country that respects a democratic vote. That being the case, there is really nothing to discuss, especially when we are all sick of these arguments that will achieve nothing!

If you read my post properly you will understand how I was pointing out that, it isn't the referendum result that will ruin this country, it will be the puerile arguments from those who lost the vote.
We should all be making the effort to make the vote successful, no matter how we voted, instead of giving the international press an opportunity to suggest that Britain couldn't organize a booze up at a brewery
Come on then lady Knowitall, just how do we make it work?
twizzle
somerset

14-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

I disagree, it's the referendum result that will ruin this country if Brexit goes ahead. It's not possible to make Brexit and leaving the EU sucessful, you can't polish a turd.

To stop opposing the vote successful and fighting against Brexit would just extend the misery and enable the unpleasant attitudes of the Brexiters, which are so at odds with the liberal standards that used to make the UK a country to be proud of. And to dismiss our arguments against Brexit as puerile and saying we shouldn't speak up for what we think is right, is the sort of dictatorship you Brexiters say you're so against.

The whole point of democratic decisions is that they can be reversed democratically. When we vote in a government we get a chance to vote them out if they don't do the job and the opposition to represent us by voting against them or raising a motion of no confidence if they are a disaster.

I don't see why Brexit should be any different and it is the Brexiters who are being undemocratic by insisting the referendum decision can't be reversed by democratic process. Especially as the Boomers generation have a disproportionate influence of political parties and the vote, leading to a situation where the old have made a bad decision for the next generation.

It's not Britain that can't organise a booze up at a brewery, it's the Brexiters and I hope other countries realise that. It's because the Brexiters made promises on having our cake and eating it that were always going to be impossible to achieve so it was never going to be possible to organise a successful Brexit.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
He's always fair and polite to callers. Most of his political energy goes into trying to disprove the "life's not fair" adage.

But he is constantly undermining the government in his show.

The only host I can bear to listen to these days is Nick Ferrari. Nick is pro-brexit but he doesn't make a big thing of it.
He allows anyone no matter how awful they are to him to speak as long as they are polite. That's fair, unlike James obrien who can't stand anyone that disagrees with him.

Nick is far to the right of me but I can listen to him, Iain dale is best presenter they actually have I've learned a lot from him and his guests.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Nigel has a host of interviewers to support, without him their kids would not be in public schools and the skiing holidays would be out of the window. He is essential to the media industry.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
He allows anyone no matter how awful they are to him to speak as long as they are polite. That's fair, unlike James obrien who can't stand anyone that disagrees with him.

Nick is far to the right of me but I can listen to him, Iain dale is best presenter they actually have I've learned a lot from him and his guests.
I know Nick is right wing but he doesn't shove it down anyone's throat or get annoyed. I was going to mention Iain Dale but I don't catch him too often as his hour is when I am usually coming back from work. Clive Bull is ok too.

What annoys me about Nige is that while he is charm in a bottle to most callers, he constantly complains about the government in a very nasty way. The other presenters don't do this.

The presenter that I will switch off is Maajid.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:54 PM

I disagree, it's the referendum result that will ruin this country if Brexit goes ahead. It's not possible to make Brexit and leaving the EU sucessful, you can't polish a turd.
Well we can have a Norway or Swiss model. That would be acceptable to me as a remain voter. When we were having the referendum they were discussing these models as the potential future. I was shocked when suddenly people started saying they didn't like these models and want to leave without a deal (the most ludicrous idea ever).

It's going to take years to hammer out a deal so they need to come up with something better to keep things ticking over in the meantime. I see everything in the shops has gone up another 10-15p despite the pound gaining last week.

Page 8 of 42 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top