Join for free
Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Re: Clothes washing..

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm paid to keep them hygienic to me that means a boil. I have a huge saucepan I keep just for that.

All bedding goes in on a 60 degree wash in the machine to kill any germs etc. I believe it's lack of heat allowing bed bugs to make a come back.
We have never had any problems!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We have never had any problems!
But you aren't bringing home filthy tea towels used for goodness knows what each week are you ? Some of them stink I'm not putting them in my washing machine on a low temperature wash.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:10 PM

I'm paid to keep them hygienic to me that means a boil. I have a huge saucepan I keep just for that.

All bedding goes in on a 60 degree wash in the machine to kill any germs etc. I believe it's lack of heat allowing bed bugs to make a come back.
Most of my washing goes on at 40 degrees but towels and bedding I always use a hotter programme as they recommend.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:10 PM

But you aren't bringing home filthy tea towels used for goodness knows what each week are you ? Some of them stink I'm not putting them in my washing machine on a low temperature wash.
Fine, no problem.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I wonder if you are talking about tea towels?
I’m thinking dishcloths, although I change them daily, they sometimes take some whitening up!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I’m thinking dishcloths, although I change them daily, they sometimes take some whitening up!
I use the disposable ones for wiping over the counters and cooker, then they can be thrown out.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Every day. At least one load is always running or sporting gear. Thankfully, those just air dry.

Pardon, but what is a boil wash? I know it's incorrect, and avoiding Google, but my mind has you all bent over wash tubs with boiling kettles of water...and surely that can't be right .

Boil wash term is a throwback to our `dolly and posser` days, (a big tub and something resembling a small multi-legged buffet at the end of a wooden pole). It was used to wash heavily soiled cotton sheets and other items and as the name implies used boiling water. An addition to the soap and water was `dolly blue` which was added to make the whites whiter. The first house we lived in in the fifties had a `copper` in the kitchen, a large copper tub that was heated from underneath by a gas jet. Fill the tub with hot water and keep it hot by using the gas burner. Clothes were removed and then run through a mangle to get out the excess water. Technology at its finest.

These days, a boil wash alludes to a washing machine program that heats the water up to 60 degrees (centigrade)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Boil wash term is a throwback to our `dolly and posser` days, (a big tub and something resembling a small multi-legged buffet at the end of a wooden pole). It was used to wash heavily soiled cotton sheets and other items and as the name implies used boiling water. An addition to the soap and water was `dolly blue` which was added to make the whites whiter. The first house we lived in in the fifties had a `copper` in the kitchen, a large copper tub that was heated from underneath by a gas jet. Fill the tub with hot water and keep it hot by using the gas burner. Clothes were removed and then run through a mangle to get out the excess water. Technology at its finest.

These days, a boil wash alludes to a washing machine program that heats the water up to 60 degrees (centigrade)
90 degree surely ? That's what's on mine. But I still use a big saucepan to acheive a proper boil.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:33 PM

90 degree surely ? That's what's on mine. But I still use a big saucepan to acheive a proper boil.
Yes I have a 90° setting too
I've never used it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Yes I have a 90° setting too
I've never used it!
I use mine to clean the washing machine it's recommended to run a 90 degree wash at least once a month no washing just powder in the machine.

Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top