Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Re: Not sure where to put this but please read.

never open anything if i do not no were its from
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 12:53 PM

We had exactly the same thing last year - it messed up our email account and we had to change to a new provider. Scumbags!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 02:24 PM

the point is I did know where it was from I assumed it was a joke, I only wondered when there weren't any laughter emoticons then looked at the email address and it wasn't the one I know.
B*gger off whats it, it's affected other people, me included and I don't know what I'm doing at the best of times so don't need more confusion.I've not been throwing stones but if I do I'll hit your greenhouse. Can see you pic but can't remember your name, and if I go back I'll lose my message and have to start again. Bummer!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:29 PM

UJ - have you deleted our Email information ...? If not, would you do so please....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Michael am I right in thinking that they were trying to get UJ's contacts to answer thereby giving away their email addresses and hadn't actually got them, it was simply addressed to recipients.??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Its puzzling Hazel - how did they know Geoffs details and it read as it does in this forum - private message.....
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:45 PM

If you normally receive mail from John Smith and suddenly receive a message from johnsmith@hotmail.com you should be suspicious.

Infected computers harvest email addresses without the knowledge of the owner and they are capable of sending out mail to everyone on the contacts list.

They normally spoof the full address when sending out mail.

It is easy to say I never open strange mail

If the message comes from someone you know and the title appears strange in any way do not open it.

Open a new message to that person and ask have they just sent you a message?

Do not reply using the original
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Because it said 'Private Message from Geoff' it looked at first glance - authentic, till I opened it....As there was a slight difference, I will scrutinise first in future ....
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Glad I opened it at the library and not on my computer. Deleted it of course.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Michael am I right in thinking that they were trying to get UJ's contacts to answer thereby giving away their email addresses and hadn't actually got them, it was simply addressed to recipients.?
Only just seen your message.

They already have your email address

The Trojan on his computer has sent out a message to everybody on his list and as you probably opened it you might be infected?

If your security is up to date you should be ok.

However some new Trojans are not always detected by Antivirus Software.

The only way you will know is if you suddenly start to receive messages from your friends informing you that they received a strange message etc.?

Some actually change settings on your computer and that is more serious.

It is a good idea to keep personal details including Bank Info on an external drive and only plug it in when you are using it.

Close it down after each transaction.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top